Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 24, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #3,902 of 6,302
As already said, BT doesn't have sufficient bandwidth. All transport mechanisms use lossy compression. The best one apt-x can offer "near CD" quality but usually is not supported by device/headphones. Definitely good enough for casual listening (especially for mp3)but if you are audiophile, well... :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AptX

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #3,903 of 6,302
  As already said, BT doesn't have sufficient bandwidth. All transport mechanisms use lossy compression. The best one apt-x can offer "near CD" quality but usually is not supported by device/headphones. Definitely good enough for casual listening (especially for mp3)but if you are audiophile, well... :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AptX

I dunno about all this "Bluetooth" quality stuff, but this is my whole dilemma with the "Audiophile" connotation. When we first get into this hobby, we get in because we want to "enjoy" the music better. Typically, our first round of upgrades is to increase the quality of sound from our music. Then, we fall down the rabbit hole of upgrades and eventually it because less about the music and more about the nuances and subtle changes between note decays, prat, etc. Sure, we "say" it is all for the betterment of the music, but, in the end, it seems that extracting that last 5% of sound out of our music is so much more important. I wish I could say to just buy some decent Mid-Fi stuff, and enjoy your music. You'll be much happier than the Audiophile next to you. The truth is, I'm still falling down that rabbit hole, and trying to figure my way out.

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #3,904 of 6,302

You my friend really differ from some very experienced headfiers who don't hear a difference wired versus Bluetooth. High resolution audio, well I won't even go there, each to their own right? Well, thankfully for me I found pathetic Bluetooth, works just fine for my ears, but they are likely just as pathetic.

Ms D. Day....."Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps"....

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #3,905 of 6,302
Mar 24, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #3,906 of 6,302
  I dunno about all this "Bluetooth" quality stuff, but this is my whole dilemma with the "Audiophile" connotation. When we first get into this hobby, we get in because we want to "enjoy" the music better. Typically, our first round of upgrades is to increase the quality of sound from our music. Then, we fall down the rabbit hole of upgrades and eventually it because less about the music and more about the nuances and subtle changes between note decays, prat, etc. Sure, we "say" it is all for the betterment of the music, but, in the end, it seems that extracting that last 5% of sound out of our music is so much more important. I wish I could say to just buy some decent Mid-Fi stuff, and enjoy your music. You'll be much happier than the Audiophile next to you. The truth is, I'm still falling down that rabbit hole, and trying to figure my way out.

P.S. I just acquired the best USB cable every made! It was built using braided "Angel Hair". The ends are 24k gold and they are Sonically adhered to the Angel Hair using Angel Tears. The whole cable is "cryo-treate

Having 24k gold cable for digital signal doesn't make much sense.

For rabbit hole, I personally know such people and I've escaped from it, more or less. Being on the road/air all the time helped me as well. But I've made one step back to hole with PM-3 and HA-2. Still not that bad for me but some people will not spend that much for portable hi-fi.

One more edit: I still have MDR-ZX770BN and enjoyed in them for months using Bluetooth. Definitely more convenient, sounds is good but not as PM-3. One of the reason is BT but of course, not only one. Would be interesting to try PM-3 over BT.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #3,907 of 6,302
Hey guys,

Just to share something about my Oppo PM-3s. I have used them in SE (with the stock 3m cable) when I first bought them and have been running them balanced (with Peterek's cable) on my DP-X1 for a few weeks with no issues.

Yesterday I decided to hook them up to my desktop with the stock 3m cable but I was only able to get sound coming from the right side of the headphones. I tried them with my iPhone and laptop too but the same thing happened. I thought my headphones had gone kaput but when I put them back on balanced on my DP-X1, it was working fine with sound emitting from both sides.

Anyone has experienced something similar / any suggestions to what I can do next?

A balanced trrs cable will not work with any device that supports an inline mic.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #3,908 of 6,302
  The truth is, I'm still falling down that rabbit hole, and trying to figure my way out.

P.S. I just acquired the best USB cable every made! It was built using braided "Angel Hair". The ends are 24k gold and they are Sonically adhered to the Angel Hair using Angel Tears. The whole cable is "cryo-treate

LOL ...
You are right about the rabbit hole. I have just taken a step back myself by selling the DP-X1 for instance. I am not saying there is no merit to better gear, not at all, but as you suggested, the value to can be rather small, but to hear people talk you would sometimes be led to believe the audible differences are obvious when frankly, I would be surprised if many of them even stood up to rigorous testing, but that is a debate I don't really want to start. I do believe the hobby is also about finding your own happiness and for those with plenty of extra cash, those really small increments in sound they can theoretically expect are worth while. That is fine.

My recent Bluetooth crusade is simply to help dispel the myths that people believe as I know everybody will benefit from Bluetooth advances. Well, not cable makers, those folks are not going to be as happy I guess. The notion of bandwidth is a very tenacious one. It gets right down to the fact that once you get to a sample rate as high as 320 (AptX gets a little higher) there is arguably no real benefit to going higher.

I don't believe sample rate makes much if any difference beyond adequate sample rates like 320, and I have seen testing done that shows people can't tell the difference reliably, but I won't expand on that as that is certainly going to take the thread off topic even more. So anyway, I will hope for a lovely PM3BT from Oppo as the PM3 is a stunningly good sound signature even out of a smartphone so very Bluetooth friendly.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #3,909 of 6,302

Having 24k gold cable for digital signal doesn't make much sense.

For rabbit hole, I personally know such people and I've escaped from it, more or less. Being on the road/air all the time helped me as well. But I've made one step back to hole with PM-3 and HA-2. Still not that bad for me but some people will not spend that much for portable hi-fi.

One more edit: I still have MDR-ZX770BN and enjoyed in them for months using Bluetooth. Definitely more convenient, sounds is good but not as PM-3. One of the reason is BT but of course, not only one. Would be interesting to try PM-3 over BT.

Could have been the headphone, not the Bluetooth as I find the H7 to be fully the equal of the PM3 and it is Bluetooth. I owned the PM3 for quite some time and drove it balanced from a DP-X1 so it isn't like I have no frame of reference either.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #3,911 of 6,302

You must have heard of Doris ! ??

Perhaps, but still not making the connections, I think you'll need to spoon-feed me a little here.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #3,913 of 6,302
  Could have been the headphone, not the Bluetooth as I find the H7 to be fully the equal of the PM3 and it is Bluetooth. I owned the PM3 for quite some time and drove it balanced from a DP-X1 so it isn't like I have no frame of reference either.

Of course, PM-3 is way better headphones than MDR-ZX770BN but BT has its own limitations. It's like comparing mp3 and CD/wav/flac. High bit rate mp3 could sound like CD but it's not bit to bit equal and does not produce the same signal (frequencies, levels...). Using MDR in airplane or on the street is more convenient and it's harder to hear difference because of environment background noise. PM-3 is more for enjoyment at home or in the office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back