Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Feb 23, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #3,542 of 6,302
So long as you have a soldering iron and the ability to solder, its def cheaper to make them yourself. Each end (even high end ones) will cost you 11 or 12$ and the cable is about 2 dollars a foot (4 x 4 = 16 feet of cable needed for a 4 foot cable).. Add those together and you come out with a cable costing you ~60 to make rather than 120$ to buy. 

Thanks for the links.

Can you tell us the wiring instructions for the TRRS plug to create a balanced cable?

I will be using a 4-pin XLR at the other end, and am familiar with the pin-out for that plug. i also plan to use a paracord sleeve.

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #3,543 of 6,302
Thanks for the links.

Can you tell us the wiring instructions for the TRRS plug to create a balanced cable?

I will be using a 4-pin XLR at the other end, and am familiar with the pin-out for that plug. i also plan to use a paracord sleeve.

I am also planning on building my own cable for the PM-3, in my case to connect to a 2,5mm TRRS connector.

I was asking at oppos support to get the pinout, and just 15 minutes ago got an answer from them.
They did not know themselves and had to ask at the production site in china.

The pinout is said to be   L+ R+ L- R- from the cusp   .

While neither me nor the support person really knew what to make of the word "cusp" i guess its another word for tip, lost in translation from chinese to english, but he is asking for that to be sure and will let me know.

That means it is the same pinout as Hifiman uses on its DAPs.

In my case i will have to cross wire my cable because my DAP will have 2,5mm TRRS with A&K pinout  ( from the tip:  R-, R+, L+, L- ).

Just out of curiosity, if i "screw up" the cable and one of the connections is wrong (like L+ is wired to L-) would that damage my DAP or Headphones?
I mean i will double or triple check that with multimeter and all, but would like to know what happens in such a case ^^

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #3,544 of 6,302
The pinout is said to be   L+ R+ L- R- from the cusp   .

While neither me nor the support person really knew what to make of the word "cusp"

Thanks!

It makes sense that the tip would be L+

This explains how a TRS plug works... L- and R- are grounded together on a three wire configuration.

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #3,545 of 6,302
Thanks for the links.

This is from Oppo Japan website link
pm-3_4pole.jpg

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #3,547 of 6,302

Awesome picture, thats as clear as it gets :)

I am a little surprised that the support guy from Oppo UK did not know of this, maybe gonna tell him :wink:
But that is how it goes in big companies i guess^^

Yeah, I'm really disappointed in the people at Oppo UK - regarding this knowledge base page on how to use a Sony Walkman with the HA-2:

http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/customer-services/knowledge-base/outputting-high-resolution-digital-audio-from-the-sony-walkman-nwz-a17-to-the-oppo-ha-2.aspx

I'm not going to re-post that photo, because it's no doubt done plenty of damage to HA-2 sales (to Walkman owners) already, but I've given up on getting Oppo UK to update their page.

Sadly, if you search Google for - HA-2 Sony - then click the Images tab, it's the first picture that comes up!  How not cool is that?  

What Sony Walkman owner is going to be attracted to the Oppo HA-2 looking at that photo (as seen at the link, above)?

Not wanting to post private correspondence without permission, let me just say that first, the email exchange centered on figuring out who I was and why I cared. Once I was "qualified" as being a nobody, the exchange went downhill from there.  

My suggestion was simply that they modify the page to announce the availability of an aftermarket cable (with 90-degree connectors) to replace the awkward Sony WMC-NWH10 - and I made it clear that this cable has been tested by Oppo Digital in the States.

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Walkman-Digital-WM-Port-Degrees/dp/B00YWEHSQY

Now, weeks later, the web page at Oppo UK still makes no reference to this cable.  

I have to wonder how many Sony Walkman owners have steered clear of the HA-2 because of Oppo UK's ignorance and arrogance (always a bad combination).

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #3,549 of 6,302
The thing I don't like in the PM-3..

is that I cannot even buy it here in our country...and the fact that irritates me most..is that it is assembled here in our country :frowning2:..been wanting to buy it for a while and no local audio stores carry it.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #3,550 of 6,302

is that I cannot even buy it here in our country...and the fact that irritates me most..is that it is assembled here in our country :frowning2:..been wanting to buy it for a while and no local audio stores carry it.

That would definitely be d1sturb1ng.

Shipping might be expensive, but it is possible for you to order directly from Oppo Digital (in the U.S.):

https://www.oppodigital.com/OPPO-Offline-OrderForm.aspx

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #3,551 of 6,302

That is rather sad, disrespectful even.

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #3,554 of 6,302
  I still stand by "best headphone under $400" 

You should try the 400i, it is actually to my ears better across the board, but it isn't portable or closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back