Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Feb 22, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #3,526 of 6,313
The headband is hard plastic instead of protein leather?  Sounds like a defective product.

Or a counterfeit. My Blue ones have a pleather cushioned headband.

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #3,527 of 6,313
  Welcome to the wonderful world of PM-3 that is SE or balanced, depending you've got the right cable or not :)
It sounds fantastic with this cable and DP-X1 DAP. Not sure if Mojo fantastic yet, need to do some testing, but so far loving it.

The balanced portion of that cable (DAP side) is TRRS 2.5mm correct?  I was on the Double Helix site looking at parts for a DIY cable, for my impending DP-X1 purchase.

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #3,529 of 6,313

The balanced portion of that cable (DAP side) is TRRS 2.5mm correct?  I was on the Double Helix site looking at parts for a DIY cable, for my impending DP-X1 purchase.

Yes, it is 2.5mm at the DAP.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #3,531 of 6,313
Sweet! I think I'm going to order up the parts in the next day or so to build my balanced cable.

When you're buying such small quantities of DIY parts do you actually save any money as opposed to having them build it for you, or is is to enjoy the process?

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #3,532 of 6,313
So long as you have a soldering iron and the ability to solder, its def cheaper to make them yourself. Each end (even high end ones) will cost you 11 or 12$ and the cable is about 2 dollars a foot (4 x 4 = 16 feet of cable needed for a 4 foot cable).. Add those together and you come out with a cable costing you ~60 to make rather than 120$ to buy. 

IMHO you can start off with something much cheaper and simpler like Mogami W2893 cable at ~.82 cents a foot (its a quad cable already so you only need one) and much cheaper adapters..You can even pretty it up relatively cheap with Techflex... 

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #3,533 of 6,313
  So long as you have a soldering iron and the ability to solder, its def cheaper to make them yourself. Each end (even high end ones) will cost you 11 or 12$ and the cable is about 2 dollars a foot (4 x 4 = 16 feet of cable needed for a 4 foot cable).. Add those together and you come out with a cable costing you ~60 to make rather than 120$ to buy. 

IMHO you can start off with something much cheaper and simpler like Mogami W2893 cable at ~.82 cents a foot (its a quad cable already so you only need one) and much cheaper adapters..You can even pretty it up relatively cheap with Techflex... 

You are quite correct sir!  I used to use Mogami in the beginning. I ended up using some OCC stuff from Toxic cables and I love how soft the cables are, even in a 6-8 braid; they are soft. I'm ok with the extra cost. The sound part (is always a debate that I choose not to participate in).

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #3,535 of 6,313
  lol yeah years ago I used to recabled all my headphones with Mogami cables before I re-sold them.. As it was cheap and made the headphones usually stand out (AKA sale faster). 

As did I. I used to do all of that here on Head-Fi.  I used to build gaming cables for the AKG K702 (very much like the VModa BoomPro Mic).

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #3,536 of 6,313

Don't you have to buy larger lengths of cable? If you can buy such small amounts that is great, but I thought you are often forced to purchase a full spool.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #3,538 of 6,313
  That link I gave you in the post was by the foot...

Awesome, I didn't look at the link. I may just start some DIY myself. What type of solder and soldering equipment do you need?

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #3,539 of 6,313
Solder station, solder flux ,helping hands, wire cutters, needle nose pliers and solder sucker would be a good start...

most everything you need to start can be found at Redco Audio

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #3,540 of 6,313
  Solder station, solder flux ,helping hands, wire cutters, needle nose pliers and solder sucker would be a good start...

most everything you need to start can be found at Redco Audio

Thanks mate. I think I may start some cables in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back