Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Aug 19, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #2,281 of 6,302
  I stopped by the Mountain View headquarters a few weeks ago and demo'd the PM-3s to replaced my T5Ps, and man do I love these things.  They're way more portable, they're built like a tank, and they hang around the neck and turn nicely.  They're pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in a commuting / office headphone.  I saw a pair of red PM-3s at the San Francisco head-fi meetup but was saddened to learn that's not a design that's offered yet (if ever), so I went with the black.

My only frustration is that after 3 weeks the right driver seems to have died.  This is something that also happened with my T5Ps and was a cable issue, though in this case it seems to be an actual driver failure as switching the cable does nothing.  Bummer!  So now I've got to send them back to Oppo and get them fixed, which I'm sure will be a breeze.  Why am I even mentioning this?  Because after three weeks of using these things it really drive home just how much I like them now that they're broken.  Oh well, at least it'll give me something to look forward to.

My first pair were defective, (Right side was cutting out and crackling after a few hrs of play) and they replaced them ASAP even honored my overnight with the same speedy re delivery of the replacement pair, that's service! So OPPO customer service gets the thumbs up from me.

That's too bad. Reliability issues are the reason why I didn't get a NAD VISO HP 50, instead of the PM-3 that is already on the way, as it had several reports of failures for such a niche product.

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #2,282 of 6,302
That's too bad. Reliability issues are the reason why I didn't get a NAD VISO HP 50, instead of the PM-3 that is already on the way, as it had several reports of failures for such a niche product.

Have you looked in to the Psb m4u1's? In my opinion, they're way better balanced than the Nad's with much better clarity. In fact, I like them even more than the Pm3's. Look at my name, that should tell you a lot that I can say that. I actually sent my Pm-3's back after comparing them side by side. The pm-3's and the Nad's just have too much treble roll off and thus, too much clarity and detail is sacrificed.

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #2,283 of 6,302
Update on those Brainwavz pads - although they do help with the comfort, the seal is not as good as the stock pads.
I just compared the sound and the stock pads have much better bass. If there was a way to graft the brainwavz pad
onto the stock pad connector to retain the seal, it would be perfect I think...

I don't think it's because of a seal issue with the pads to the headphone, larger pads like the brainwav will always soak up some of the bass regardless.

Velour versions of the current ones would probably be best for those with heat issues.

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #2,284 of 6,302
thanks @Planarman just as ive finished reading everything i possibly could and got a demo organised for the pm3 you go and throw the PSB into things and from the research ive done especially the below and other head fi reviews (i hate it here sometimes) im really questioning what to do, they are £200 cheaper at only £149 on amazon.  Decisions, Decisions

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-400-over-ear-headphones/

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #2,287 of 6,302
Have you looked in to the Psb m4u1's? In my opinion, they're way better balanced than the Nad's with much better clarity. In fact, I like them even more than the Pm3's. Look at my name, that should tell you a lot that I can say that. I actually sent my Pm-3's back after comparing them side by side. The pm-3's and the Nad's just have too much treble roll off and thus, too much clarity and detail is sacrificed.

I already had bought the PM-3 and they are being shipped to me as we speak. Still, thanks for your suggestion.

I Google'd and Youtube'd those and in the end the m4u1's seem to be very, very similar to the PM-3's, for some reason. From what I understood, both are really good sounding for a closed-back headphone, while also sharing the 3.5mm cable connection on both sides.

The only key differences between them are:
1.- The ear pads. The m4u1s have bigger pads, which are also replaceable and even come with a replacement pair. On the other hand, PM-3'S pads seem to be thicker, which should provide better isolation and grip, at the expense of being less comfortable. 
2.- The design (looks) and materials. The PM-3 clearly is the "more premium" product.

In any case, the info available on the m4u1's is scarce and I haven't auditioned either, so take this comment with a grain of salt.

And of course, my only problem with the Oppos is based on the two quoted comments, with two people in a row encountering reliability problems. I hope my Oppo's have no issues from the box, especially since with international shipping warranties can be a bit weird. While some companies simply send you a new product or issue a refund, others just don't offer a warranty at all, or with others you have to deal with the hassle and expense of sending the product back. Luckily I was smart enough to pay using PayPal, so if Oppodigital fails I'll get my money back anyway :p

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #2,288 of 6,302
I already had bought the PM-3 and they are being shipped to me as we speak. Still, thanks for your suggestion.

I Google'd and Youtube'd those and in the end the m4u1's seem to be very, very similar to the PM-3's, for some reason. From what I could tell the only key differences between them are:
1.- The ear pads. The m4u1s have bigger pads, which are also replaceable and even come with a replacement pair. On the other hand, PM-3'S pads seem to be thicker, which should provide better isolation and grip. Maybe (maybe) the difference in sound is mainly because of the pads.
2.- The design (looks) and materials. The PM-3 is the "more premium" product.

In any case, the info available on the m4u1's is scarce and I haven't auditioned either, so all take this comment with a grain of salt.

And of course, my only problem with the Oppos is based on the two quoted comments, with two people in a row encountering reliability problems. I hope my Oppo's have no issues from the box, especially since with international shipping warranties are always a bit weird, that even more so with relatively small companies. Luckily I was smart enough to pay with PayPal, so if Oppo fails I'll get my money back anyway :p

As someone who has owned both and been able to listen side by side, they do not sound the same. The Psb's are balanced while the pm-3's are warm. Also the Psb's soundstage is much larger but the pm-3's have the most accurate bass I've ever heard (it's too bad they don't have the treble to match). The pm-3's are very good headphones but just not as good as the Psb's. And I'm not going to spend $150 more for an inferior sounding headphone, which is why I sent the pm-3's back. But if you like a warm sound signature then you're in for a treat. Let us all know what you think!

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #2,289 of 6,302
I found the PSBs to be to... "soft"... and by that I mean that there's really no energy for me to enjoy my music. No big bass, no treble sparkle to grab you, etc. I actually found them too "sterile" for MY taste. But they are indeed good and used you could probably find them pretty cheap! :wink:

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #2,290 of 6,302
As someone who has owned both and been able to listen side by side, they do not sound the same. The Psb's are balanced while the pm-3's are warm. Also the Psb's soundstage is much larger but the pm-3's have the most accurate bass I've ever heard (it's too bad they don't have the treble to match). The pm-3's are very good headphones but just not as good as the Psb's. And I'm not going to spend $150 more for an inferior sounding headphone, which is why I sent the pm-3's back. But if you like a warm sound signature then you're in for a treat. Let us all know what you think!

I see. Now there's solid closed-back headphones for everyone :p

Even though I haven't tried either, based on your description of them I wouldn't straight up say the PM-3's are inferior. After all they offer some things the m4u1's don't, which for some do cost the extra $150.

For example, based on what you say I can tell that the sound signature is simply 'different' -instead of 'better'-, with both excelling at what they offer. For many -if not for the vast majority-, 100% balanced headphones sound clinical and sterile, so they prefer other signatures. 

Also "the most accurate bass (of any other headphone out there)" might be worth the price of admission, and it has to be said the PM-3's clearly have the better looks and construction over the Beats lookalikes.

BTW I'm not defending my purchase or anything. In the end I bought the PM-3's based on qualities both headphones share, so as long as they work as intended (no reliability issues) then I'll be really glad with my purchase. Personally, I only envy the m4u1's bigger pads and if my PM-3's were to fail I'd consider getting the m4u1's.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #2,291 of 6,302
I see. Now there's solid closed-back headphones for everyone :p

Even though I haven't tried either, based on your description of them I wouldn't straight up say the PM-3's are inferior. After all they offer some things the m4u1's don't, which for some do cost the extra $150.

For example the sound signature is simply different -not better-, with both excelling at what they offer. For many -if not for the vast majority-, balanced headphones sound clinical and sterile, so they prefer other signatures.

Also "the most accurate bass (of any other headphone out there)" might be worth the price of admission, and the PM-3's clearly have the better looks and construction over the Beats lookalikes.

BTW I'm not defending my purchase or anything. In the end I bought the PM-3's based on qualities both headphones share, so as long as they work as intended (no reliability issues) then I'll be really glad with my purchase.

You're exactly right. I would like to say one more thing. The pm-3's treble was actually acceptable when I first got them. It wasn't until after burn in that the bass, which was already warm, became even more pronounced and the treble then sounded even more distant and rolled off. After that the balance was just off by too much for my preference. But like you said, we all have different tastes and there's nothing wrong with that. I hope you love them.

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #2,292 of 6,302
On the topic of M4U 1 and PM-3, I tried both and decided to go for the latter. Why? Personal preference. Which is better? Why is it better? Is it really better? 

One man's meat is another man's poison. I like it, you don't, he likes it, she doesn't. That is just the way it is. 

Glad there are those who like M4U 1, because I like PSB as a company and I owned their floor standing towers louspeakers. BUT... their headphones just didn't make the cut for me. Not as exciting and forgiving as the PM-3s to my ears. I used them to double check my mastering projects, to provide an alternative playback medium, something different from my monitor speakers, and I like them. They respond well to different type of ADDA and amping, so it is fun for me. It has earned its place in my studio. 

Will I become a diehard fan? No. Everyone have different listening tastes, everyone has a different listening need, everyone listens to different genre of music. I will, however, recommend someone to give the PM-3s an audition but whether they like it or not, that is their choice. There are so many other headphones out there in the market, and even the EL-8 has already caught my attention. Maybe I will revisit them again when I feel like buying another pair of headphones. At the meantime, I have too many headphones, and only one head & a pair of ears. 

ps. While the PM-3 is touted as a "portable" planar, I don't think I have really enjoyed them in noisy places, and hated them while using them on flights. They are great for parks and libraries, at best, noise floor above 65-70db, and it starts to sound pretty crappy. I found myself going back to IEMs once more. The ear pads does not provide the type of isolation to be a great pair of portables. Probably due to the fact that they are really comfortable to wear for hours.

Again, this is my preference. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #2,293 of 6,302
I've updated my comparative thread to now include these most excellent headphones in case anyone is interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-26-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around#post_9622611

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #2,294 of 6,302
On the topic of M4U 1 and PM-3, I tried both and decided to go for the latter. Why? Personal preference. Which is better? Why is it better? Is it really better? 

One man's meat is another man's poison. I like it, you don't, he likes it, she doesn't. That is just the way it is. 

Glad there are those who like M4U 1, because I like PSB as a company and I owned their floor standing towers louspeakers. BUT... their headphones just didn't make the cut for me. Not as exciting and forgiving as the PM-3s to my ears. I used them to double check my mastering projects, to provide an alternative playback medium, something different from my monitor speakers, and I like them. They respond well to different type of ADDA and amping, so it is fun for me. It has earned its place in my studio. 

Will I become a diehard fan? No. Everyone have different listening tastes, everyone has a different listening need, everyone listens to different genre of music. I will, however, recommend someone to give the PM-3s an audition but whether they like it or not, that is their choice. There are so many other headphones out there in the market, and even the EL-8 has already caught my attention. Maybe I will revisit them again when I feel like buying another pair of headphones. At the meantime, I have too many headphones, and only one head & a pair of ears. 

ps. While the PM-3 is touted as a "portable" planar, I don't think I have really enjoyed them in noisy places, and hated them while using them on flights. They are great for parks and libraries, at best, noise floor above 65-70db, and it starts to sound pretty crappy. I found myself going back to IEMs once more. The ear pads does not provide the type of isolation to be a great pair of portables. Probably due to the fact that they are really comfortable to wear for hours.

Again, this is my preference. 

I wish I liked their sound more. They're beautifully built, beautiful to look at, lightweight, and very comfortable. Those qualities are undeniable. I just prefer my headphones to lean a little more towards analytical.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #2,295 of 6,302
The PSBs didn't do a lot for me either. They weren't bad, but I like the PM-3s a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back