Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Aug 17, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #2,251 of 6,302
Hey all, I recently received a loaner unit of the Oppo PM-3's and so far I'm very impressed. They sound great out of an iPhone and my MacBook Pro, but slightly less so out of my stereo monitors' headphone output, so I figure an investment in a desktop amp/DAC would be an appropriate purchase to help me get better performance out of my PC. Can anybody give their impressions on a unit like the Audioengine D1 or a similarly priced combo unit and how it sounds with the Oppo PM-3? The problem I'm seeing so far is that everything sounds a little restricted and the bass is much lighter than usual, like the headphones are struggling for power. So I'd like something that can shoot enough power to the headphones without much coloration as well as output audio to my stereo monitors through RCA ideally.

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #2,252 of 6,302
Coming from the LCD-2F, I found the mids on the Oppo PM-3 a little too thin for my taste. 
While I thought the LCD-2F bass too overwhelming and treble too underwhelming, I loved the mids (especially with the stock foam removed, more warm and full). 

While I found the Oppo PM-3 lower bass and treble adequate, I thought the mids just lacked warmth and fullness. I would have liked more mid and upper bass to give the mids more warmth and fullness. 

Decided to just to get some Fostex T50rp and mod it to my preference. 

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #2,253 of 6,302
Hey all, I recently received a loaner unit of the Oppo PM-3's and so far I'm very impressed. They sound great out of an iPhone and my MacBook Pro, but slightly less so out of my stereo monitors' headphone output, so I figure an investment in a desktop amp/DAC would be an appropriate purchase to help me get better performance out of my PC. Can anybody give their impressions on a unit like the Audioengine D1 or a similarly priced combo unit and how it sounds with the Oppo PM-3? The problem I'm seeing so far is that everything sounds a little restricted and the bass is much lighter than usual, like the headphones are struggling for power. So I'd like something that can shoot enough power to the headphones without much coloration as well as output audio to my stereo monitors through RCA ideally.

I'd avoid the Audioengine D1 for use with the Oppo PM-3. The PM-3 is finicky about the output impedance of the device it's pared with. (That's part of the reason you hear such varying accounts of the PM-3's bass quality and quantity, btw. That, and getting a decent pad seal.) 

The Audioengine D1 has an output impedance of 10 ohms - pretty high for a small form factor/portable unit.

[Ugh, not sure what I was thinking this morning - going to blame the 7 hour drive back from Mackinac City to Chicago last night. It's a ****ing ortho, output z doesn't matter. That being said, I still kinda think that the D1 sounds a bit terrible and would recommend the following instead.]

I'd point you in the direction of a Dragonfly 1.2, a first gen LH Geek Out unit (450 was my favorite, but the 1000 is also very good), or even a Schiit Fulla or FiiO E17K v2 unit over the Audioengine. Any of these would be powerful enough to adequately drive the PM-3 and would sound better than the built in audio from the PC. (The PM-3 scales pretty well with gear upgrades, too. But these are all solid choices that don't break the bank pricewise. ) 

Decided to just to get some Fostex T50rp and mod it to my preference. 

Yep. If you don't need the form factor/extra portability/looks, a good T50rp mod is just better. Not to take anything away from the PM-3, which is very good considering everything you get for the price. 

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #2,254 of 6,302

FiiO should be fine, though E12A will drive PM-3 better than E11k, and if you have Cayin C5, even better.  But I still prefer HA-2.

HP150 are OK, but in comparison to PM-3 they sounds more neutral-bright, harsher and less natural, while PM3 sound has more body, organic, smoother, and has more bass impact.

Btw, my detailed Oppo PM-3 review is up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-3/reviews/1378

Great review something i can understand.  

Finally finished all 151 pages of this thread and think i know as much as i possibly could.  Cant believe people have paid over £2000 pounds for a portable player.

Im ready to buy soon just need funding.  Can anyone in UK recommend somewhere to buy.  I would ideally like to audition first i live in Manchester so North West would be good.  I know audio affair in Birmingham sell them but thats a bit far to be travelling.

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #2,255 of 6,302
Omg yes. How did you do this and where did you get these pads? I thought the pads weren't removable? I was just about to give up and sell my pair cause I just can't deal with the small pads. Please explain!

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #2,260 of 6,302
  What amp would be the best for the PM-3? For use on laptop and phone (mainly streaming music from Spotify)

HA-2 will be the most versatile one because Oppo already tuned it to sound great with PM3, it works flawlessly as USB OTG with Android phone and connects easily with iPhone/iPad without a need for camera kits, and connects directly to laptop as usb dac.  You get slim design, dedicated volume pot, and it can even charge your smartphone.  The ONLY thing it's missing a transport control, like in A200p or E18, but I can live with it.  Plus, it's a portable headphone amp/DAC that can be used with any headphones, not just PM3.  Also, you get a pretty good battery life, 12+ hours connected to your phone, and while used as usb dac connected to your laptop it chargers up from usb port.  Oh, and it comes with Oppo's rapid 5V/5A charger they use in their smartphones.

Btw, that's next on my review list :wink:

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #2,261 of 6,302
  From quick impressions it sounds pretty similar; if there's a difference it's minor.
I'd say the improvement in comfort is worth any minor change in the sound sig.

You know those Brainwavz earpads also come in velour
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #2,263 of 6,302
  Thank you so much! Definitely have to try this now. Have you noticed any sound changes?

Careful removing those. There have been some that resulted in snapped tabs on the baffle part after trying that. That might void the warranty since there are meant to be sent to Oppo for pad replacement. Not saying it will happen, but it has.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #2,264 of 6,302

I'd avoid the Audioengine D1 for use with the Oppo PM-3. The PM-3 is finicky about the output impedance of the device it's pared with. (That's part of the reason you hear such varying accounts of the PM-3's bass quality and quantity, btw. That, and getting a decent pad seal.) 

The Audioengine D1 has an output impedance of 10 ohms - pretty high for a small form factor/portable unit. I'd point you in the direction of a Dragonfly 1.2, a first gen LH Geek Out unit (450 was my favorite, but the 1000 is also very good), or even a Schiit Fulla or FiiO E17K v2 unit over the Audioengine. Any of these would be powerful enough to adequately drive the PM-3 and would sound better than the built in audio from the PC. (The PM-3 scales pretty well with gear upgrades, too. But these are all solid choices that don't break the bank pricewise. ) 

Are you certain this is the case or is it more that the source(s) itself is not as capable.

Isodynamic/orthodynamics are generally known to be immune to impedance issues, and have a flat impedance curve ( seen as a resistive load ).
Impedance at source should not matter.

Power fed to these should have more of an effect than impedance of source.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #2,265 of 6,302
  Are you certain this is the case or is it more that the source(s) itself is not as capable.

Isodynamic/orthodynamics are generally known to be immune to impedance issues, and have a flat impedance curve ( seen as a resistive load ).
Impedance at source should not matter.

Power fed to these should have more of an effect than impedance of source.

Yep, you're right actually. Was a bit tired this morning and my brain shorted out on that one. There shouldn't be a power difficulty with any of the ones listed though - including the D1 - and the output z with the ortho shouldn't matter in the least. 

That being said, the Audioengine D1 IMO was still pretty poor sounding compared to the rest of the list. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back