Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Aug 15, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #2,236 of 6,313
how would the alpha primes fit into this? as a natural sounding headphone, according to my understanding, and a closed one at that, would that be a recommendation for someone looking for something akin to or better than the pm-3 for office listening? 

The PM-3 doesn't even come close to the Primes. I own Alpha Dogs and they were much more detailed and open than PM-3 with more accurate and deeper bass.
I heard the Alpha Primes at can jam and they are step above alpha dogs.
That being said for office listening I found PM-3 to be amazing light portable and easy to slip off when someone at office wants to chat. They were easier to get on and off quickly then anything else I have used prior. The alpha dog and alpha prime are diffidently a home headphone for me.
Another note is the isolation for work is a issue with PM-3 there is to much leakage wear other people can start hearing what your listening to when you get to higher volumes. It's not much leakage but I like almost zero leakage. So I mostly use momuntum 1 for office cause I can get pretty high volumes and know one can hear what music I'm listening to.
The momuntum 1 for $160 are I believe the best you can do under $200. However I have found some that sounded different and I don't know why I returned one pair that was boomy. The pair I have came in a older box and looked just like Jude review box sample. That M1 is one of my fav headphones.

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #2,237 of 6,313
How do the pm 3 sound with metal / heavy rock? I'm looking to get a set of planer and like closed over open at the moment for travelling. Looking at the he400s for open if I like these
Currently have soundmagic hp150 which I like and took a while to find these tried the ath50x, b&w p5 cals again liked but not quire there but looking for that something extra. Inital posts on this thread v moda 100 maybe be better butnearly 150 pages is a lot to go through

I think they sound great with metal/heavy rock. The speed of the planars really shines on faster music. Bass isn't going to hit as hard as some other can's, but it's controlled and very accurate. i have the Vmoda 100's and I'm selling mine (along with my MSR7 and HP50). The PM3 does everything so well, I don't really need another pair of closed portables.

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #2,238 of 6,313

I think they sound great with metal/heavy rock. The speed of the planars really shines on faster music. Bass isn't going to hit as hard as some other can's, but it's controlled and very accurate. i have the Vmoda 100's and I'm selling mine (along with my MSR7 and HP50). The PM3 does everything so well, I don't really need another pair of closed portables.

Thanks, think i just needed a little reassurance its alot for me to spend on a single pair of headphones and i want that wow, oh my god these are unbelievable factor whici got a little of from the hp150sbut was still slightly disappointing as at the time my most expensive set to which the pm 3 are more than double that amount

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #2,239 of 6,313
they have refurb like new still for a bit cheaper in case you weren't aware

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #2,240 of 6,313
i wasnt and thanks but as i live in the UK the $399 becomes £349 after shipping and tax it works out about £330 so not even worth importing.

At $319 works out to about £260 which is a fantastic saving pity they are out of stock.

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #2,241 of 6,313
The PM-3 doesn't even come close to the Primes. I own Alpha Dogs and they were much more detailed and open than PM-3 with more accurate and deeper bass.
I heard the Alpha Primes at can jam and they are step above alpha dogs.
That being said for office listening I found PM-3 to be amazing light portable and easy to slip off when someone at office wants to chat. They were easier to get on and off quickly then anything else I have used prior. The alpha dog and alpha prime are diffidently a home headphone for me.
Another note is the isolation for work is a issue with PM-3 there is to much leakage wear other people can start hearing what your listening to when you get to higher volumes. It's not much leakage but I like almost zero leakage. So I mostly use momuntum 1 for office cause I can get pretty high volumes and know one can hear what music I'm listening to.
The momuntum 1 for $160 are I believe the best you can do under $200. However I have found some that sounded different and I don't know why I returned one pair that was boomy. The pair I have came in a older box and looked just like Jude review box sample. That M1 is one of my fav headphones.

ymmv. i own both the alpha prime & pm-3 and I personally use the PM-3 a lot more. the prime does have a noticeably larger soundstage and I would say that it has better technical abilities in terms of sonic performance. however, worth the extra more than doubling in price point? for me, not really. 

I think the best you can do if looking for a neutral-sound sig for over-ear closed headphones under $200 would be the akg k553 & k545. 1st gen momentum is nice as well though earpad size makes it an on-ear fit (even for the larger "over-ear" version). 2nd gen momentum a bit more v-shaped.

another solid closed option for a neutral sound sig imo would be the nad visio hp50 at $300.

Aug 16, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #2,242 of 6,313
Anyone used the pm 3 with the fiio e11k amp.  I have an X3 2nd gen and currently use this amp with everything apart from my 1 pair of IEMs and my main listening is the Soundmagic HP150 for outside and 200 for inside.  

Will this amp be enough?  Im now 50 pages through this thread and no one has mentioned the fiio amps only the HA 2

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #2,243 of 6,313
Anyone used the pm 3 with the fiio e11k amp.  I have an X3 2nd gen and currently use this amp with everything apart from my 1 pair of IEMs and my main listening is the Soundmagic HP150 for outside and 200 for inside.  

Will this amp be enough?  Im now 50 pages through this thread and no one has mentioned the fiio amps only the HA 2

I use the fiio e12 to drive my pm-3's, when I am out and about. I just assumed your excellent x3 2nd gen would be powerful enough to drive your pm-3. I hope you have a great day jamming out.

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #2,244 of 6,313
The more and more i read, especially looking at the soundmagic HP150 impressions thread that they are also a natural sounding can, im not really sure what all this means i understand bad bass and treble and good bass and treble but all this v, u shape natural neutral means nothing too me, same with all the graphs.  

I know i like the 150s i liked the CALs i didnt like the m50x or the P5s.

Im nearly there on pressing the buy button i want to finish the impressions thread first, just wondering whether to go all out and get the amp as well but at another £250 its a lot especially if the e11k will be fine.   

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #2,245 of 6,313
The more and more i read, especially looking at the soundmagic HP150 impressions thread that they are also a natural sounding can, im not really sure what all this means i understand bad bass and treble and good bass and treble but all this v, u shape natural neutral means nothing too me, same with all the graphs.  

I know i like the 150s i liked the CALs i didnt like the m50x or the P5s.

Im nearly there on pressing the buy button i want to finish the impressions thread first, just wondering whether to go all out and get the amp as well but at another £250 its a lot especially if the e11k will be fine.   
e11k will drive the pm-3 just fine.

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #2,247 of 6,313

FiiO should be fine, though E12A will drive PM-3 better than E11k, and if you have Cayin C5, even better.  But I still prefer HA-2.

HP150 are OK, but in comparison to PM-3 they sounds more neutral-bright, harsher and less natural, while PM3 sound has more body, organic, smoother, and has more bass impact.

Btw, my detailed Oppo PM-3 review is up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-3/reviews/13782

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #2,248 of 6,313
Report: the Brainwavz replacement pleather pads work great on the PM-3, and improve the comfort greatly.
From quick impressions the sound quality remains the same.
It even still fits in the original case (just barely, you have to be careful not to snag on the pad when zipping it up).

Stock pads to the left, Brainwavz pads to the right

Still fits in the case and zips up!

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #2,249 of 6,313
  Report: the Brainwavz replacement pleather pads work great on the PM-3, and improve the comfort greatly.
From quick impressions the sound quality remains the same.
It even still fits in the original case (just barely, you have to be careful not to snag on the pad when zipping it up).

Stock pads to the left, Brainwavz pads to the right

Still fits in the case and zips up!

Looks pretty out of place but looks like it'll really be comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back