Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Aug 15, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #2,221 of 6,313
  there aren't in the $1k+ price point, but there are quite a few in lower budget brackets. i've personally found that price point does not always correlate well with technical SQ improvements.

but you are right, if flat FR is not a concern, then the TH900 is a nice choice. i consider sound sig & sound quality to be different aspects personally with the more important thing being sound signature when deciding what headphone suites you the best.

agreed. i think sound signature is what gets most people to love/like a certain headphone. like i know senns are terrific headphones (580/600/650), but i've never been a fan of their sound signature. it's when one finds a headphone that has both the sound signature they like AND great sound quality - the holy grail...

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #2,222 of 6,313
  there aren't in the $1k+ price point, but there are quite a few in lower budget brackets. i've personally found that price point does not always correlate well with technical SQ improvements.

but you are right, if flat FR is not a concern, then the TH900 is a nice choice. i consider sound sig & sound quality to be different aspects personally with the more important thing being sound signature when deciding what headphone suites you the best.

how would the alpha primes fit into this? as a natural sounding headphone, according to my understanding, and a closed one at that, would that be a recommendation for someone looking for something akin to or better than the pm-3 for office listening? 

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #2,223 of 6,313
  if your primary concern is SQ, the th900 is worlds better than the AD, IMHO. it's worthy of being a flagship headphone...i know it's not "neutral" as some would like their reference headphones to be, but they are detailed, good soundstage for a closed headphone, have fantastic bass, and are very comfortable. the ADs are really good and the correct choice if isolation is your main concern. my opinions, of course...

Do you find acceptable for an flagship headphones which costs over 1k  to have recessed mids?

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #2,224 of 6,313
  how would the alpha primes fit into this? as a natural sounding headphone, according to my understanding, and a closed one at that, would that be a recommendation for someone looking for something akin to or better than the pm-3 for office listening? 

for overall well-balanced sound sig closed headphones, primes is solid. good technical ability in speed and sound stage as well. bit pricy at msrp, but at the current deals price (overall solid value relative to the market).

pm-3 if you require portability. otherwise, I would go akg k553 or alpha prime depending on relative budget & perception of value/what price point is worth it. k553 measures really well and is quite competitive despite its really inexpensive price point.

btw, closed ether was announced today. so may want to wait if you can wait to see some impressions flow in.

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #2,225 of 6,313
d
  for overall well-balanced sound sig closed headphones, primes is solid. good technical ability in speed and sound stage as well. bit pricy at msrp, but at the current deals price (overall solid value relative to the market).

pm-3 if you require portability. otherwise, I would go akg k553 or alpha prime depending on relative budget & perception of value/what price point is worth it. k553 measures really well and is quite competitive despite its really inexpensive price point.

btw, closed ether was announced today. so may want to wait if you can wait to see some impressions flow in.

darn! i knew i shouldn't have cancelled that akg k553 mass drop last week.  in any case, you've been most helpful! as has everyone else who has responded.. its really too bad about the pm-3 ear pads though.. 

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #2,226 of 6,313
  d
darn! i knew i shouldn't have cancelled that akg k553 mass drop last week.  in any case, you've been most helpful! as has everyone else who has responded.. its really too bad about the pm-3 ear pads though.. 

you're welcome!

this may be even more helpful :wink: hahah. just saw it in the deals thread.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119705-REG/akg_328h00010_k553_pro_closed_back_studio.html
$125 K553

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #2,229 of 6,313
  Quote:
Man, why everyone cares so much about bass... I don't get it

man, why does everyone care so much about mids? i don't get it 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #2,235 of 6,313
How do the pm 3 sound with metal / heavy rock? I'm looking to get a set of planer and like closed over open at the moment for travelling. Looking at the he400s for open if I like these
Currently have soundmagic hp150 which I like and took a while to find these tried the ath50x, b&w p5 cals again liked but not quire there but looking for that something extra. Inital posts on this thread v moda 100 maybe be better butnearly 150 pages is a lot to go through

Users who are viewing this thread

Back