Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Aug 14, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #2,206 of 6,313
I have the PM-3s, purchased them recently, but for long hours of listening at work I'm finding the small ear cups to be more than a little irritating. I prefer larger sized cups that fully encompass my ears as well as not warm them up so much. This is unfortunate because whereas I like the sound signature of these, I'm not sure I can overlook the comfort issue.  At home I have the DT-880s, i find those extremely comfortable, but the open nature (and sound leakage) is not conducive to an office environment. Does anyone have recommendation for larger sized cans that have equal or better SQ to these. I like neutral (or slightly brighter sounding cans). ANy help greatly appreciated! Thanks! 

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #2,207 of 6,313
  I have the PM-3s, purchased them recently, but for long hours of listening at work I'm finding the small ear cups to be more than a little irritating. I prefer larger sized cups that fully encompass my ears as well as not warm them up so much. This is unfortunate because whereas I like the sound signature of these, I'm not sure I can overlook the comfort issue.  At home I have the DT-880s, i find those extremely comfortable, but the open nature (and sound leakage) is not conducive to an office environment. Does anyone have recommendation for larger sized cans that have equal or better SQ to these. I like neutral (or slightly brighter sounding cans). ANy help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Try the Alpha Dogs or the Alpha Primes.  They meet all of your requirements.

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #2,208 of 6,313

I recently spent a good amount of time comparing the PM-3 with the P7 from B&W. The P7 cups are slightly larger and deeper. My ears fit pretty well inside. However from a comfort standpoint, I didn't like the P7 cups. They are real leather, but the foam isn't forgiving at all and I was constantly adjusting them. The P7 sounded excellent, very close in quality but slightly more bright. I think you would like the sound, but I'm not sure about the comfort.

I think Denon makes some closed cans with larger cups, but I don't have a model number in mind.

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #2,209 of 6,313

In the same boat, earcups are too small and heat up my ears too much, but I like the sound quality.
I'm trying to see if there's a DIY way to replace the earcups with something better.

I actually purchased the PM-2 and the earcups are much better sized on them, but still make my ears hot.
Waiting for my PM-1 leather and velour earpads to arrive, which would alleviate that problem.

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #2,210 of 6,313
In the same boat, earcups are too small and heat up my ears too much, but I like the sound quality.
I'm trying to see if there's a DIY way to replace the earcups with something better.

I actually purchased the PM-2 and the earcups are much better sized on them, but still make my ears hot.
Waiting for my PM-1 leather and velour earpads to arrive, which would alleviate that problem.
I have tiny ears and the cups just barely fit around them. can't imagine it fitting for people with normal sized ears! I thought about the pm-2 as they're a great deal refurbished, but I needed closed travel-ready headphones.

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #2,212 of 6,313
I've been curious about these, as well as the Fostex TH series but how are these with sound leakage. I'd like to be able to turn up the volume up w/o be a disturbance to those around me.. 

I used my Alpha Dogs at work until I found the PM-3s. I decided to change because of the size of the dogs. The dogs are very good at keeping things quiet inside and out.

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #2,213 of 6,313

I would love for Oppo to release an official velour PM-3 earpad, but I think that will be unlikely. I imagine you can swap for the brainwavz velour earpads if you desire though will not sit flush as those earpads have a larger diameter.

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #2,214 of 6,313
Well I'd like to keep the seal intact since it's a closed headphone, so I'll see if I can install the pleather brainwavz pad to help with the comfort issue.
I imagine if you put in a velour pad the bass would suffer significantly.

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #2,215 of 6,313
  I've been curious about these, as well as the Fostex TH series but how are these with sound leakage. I'd like to be able to turn up the volume up w/o be a disturbance to those around me.. 

the alpha dogs isolate very well. they sound pretty good, too. the fostex th900 leak a ton of sound - not ideal if you need to be totally isolated, like in a work environment. they are terrific, though. one of my favorite headphones.

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #2,216 of 6,313
  the alpha dogs isolate very well. they sound pretty good, too. the fostex th900 leak a ton of sound - not ideal if you need to be totally isolated, like in a work environment. they are terrific, though. one of my favorite headphones.

thanks! i'll look those up. I really wanted the fostex (as everyone raves about them) but alphas may do nicely. i just dont want to go backwards in term of SQ, esp in terms of clarity. more soundstage would be a nice to have as well as a bit more sparkle in the highs. a little more versatility since i listen to just about any genre of music out there... and often in the same day. oppos weren't very good imho w/ hip hop, but great w/ violin music.

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #2,217 of 6,313

thanks! i'll look those up. I really wanted the fostex (as everyone raves about them) but alphas may do nicely. i just dont want to go backwards in term of SQ, esp in terms of clarity. more soundstage would be a nice to have as well as a bit more sparkle in the highs. a little more versatility since i listen to just about any genre of music out there... and often in the same day. oppos weren't very good imho w/ hip hop, but great w/ violin music.

if your primary concern is SQ, the th900 is worlds better than the AD, IMHO. it's worthy of being a flagship headphone...i know it's not "neutral" as some would like their reference headphones to be, but they are detailed, good soundstage for a closed headphone, have fantastic bass, and are very comfortable. the ADs are really good and the correct choice if isolation is your main concern. my opinions, of course...

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #2,218 of 6,313
  if your primary concern is SQ, the th900 is worlds better than the AD, IMHO. it's worthy of being a flagship headphone...i know it's not "neutral" as some would like their reference headphones to be, but they are detailed, good soundstage for a closed headphone, have fantastic bass, and are very comfortable. the ADs are really good and the correct choice if isolation is your main concern. my opinions, of course...

mmm... I think the problem is that it is quite pricey for a v-shaped sound signature and a lot of audiophiles are looking for more balanced frequency response curves. some ppl even consider a balanced linear sound signature to be an important component of sound quality.

offering a differing perspectives, so not trying to argue. I think your perspective is quite valid as well. I loved the TH900 as well when I auditioned them. Just didn't pull the trigger as classical music generally does not work very well with colored sound signatures. depends quite a bit on individual musical taste and genre preferences I think too what type of sound signature will work the best.

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #2,219 of 6,313
  mmm... I think the problem is that it is quite pricey for a v-shaped sound signature and a lot of audiophiles are looking for more balanced frequency response curves. some ppl even consider a balanced linear sound signature to be an important component of sound quality.

offering a differing perspectives, so not trying to argue. I think your perspective is quite valid as well. I loved the TH900 as well when I auditioned them. Just didn't pull the trigger as classical music generally does not work very well with colored sound signatures. depends quite a bit on individual musical taste and genre preferences I think too what type of sound signature will work the best.

sure, if someone's looking for a flatter FR, then the th900 wouldn't fit the bill...the OP was merely talking about SQ, though, and from closed headphones, at that. true, some might consider a flatter FR as a component of SQ, though i wouldn't. there just aren't very many closed reference-level headphones around, and especially ones that have a flat FR. 

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #2,220 of 6,313
  sure, if someone's looking for a flatter FR, then the th900 wouldn't fit the bill...the OP was merely talking about SQ, though, and from closed headphones, at that. true, some might consider a flatter FR as a component of SQ, though i wouldn't. there just aren't very many closed reference-level headphones around, and especially ones that have a flat FR. 

there aren't in the $1k+ price point, but there are quite a few in lower budget brackets. i've personally found that price point does not always correlate well with technical SQ improvements.

but you are right, if flat FR is not a concern, then the TH900 is a nice choice. i consider sound sig & sound quality to be different aspects personally with the more important thing being sound signature when deciding what headphone suites you the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back