Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Aug 10, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #2,176 of 6,313
Very well put. You're in luck if you take care of your pm-3's then, in terms of them lasting a long time. I read that another major advantage of orthos is that their sound signature never degrades the way dynamics do. Dynamics very slowly degrade every time you use them. But ortho, 20 years old, should sound just as good as a brand new pair of the same make and model.

I don't think that this true. Where did you read that?

note: I do prefer planar magnetic sound, but I've never heard that anything suggesting that dynamic drivers or planar magnetic drivers have overall differences in durability.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #2,177 of 6,313
Very well put. You're in luck if you take care of your pm-3's then, in terms of them lasting a long time. I read that another major advantage of orthos is that their sound signature never degrades the way dynamics do. Dynamics very slowly degrade every time you use them. But ortho, 20 years old, should sound just as good as a brand new pair of the same make and model.

note: I do prefer planar magnetic sound, but I've never heard that anything suggesting that dynamic drivers or planar magnetic drivers have overall differences in durability.

I think that it's because there's less physical movement so there's a lower potential for degradation. Orthos and electrostats especially I think are generally considered to last quite a long time while you don't really hear that about dynamics.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #2,178 of 6,313

http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/?p=14114

"Additionally, planar magnetic transducers have few moving parts and can maintain performance without any sonic degradation. Dynamic drivers continuously degrade in performance over their life due to a multitude of moving parts and use of glue joints."

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #2,179 of 6,313
http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/?p=14114

"Additionally, planar magnetic transducers have few moving parts and can maintain performance without any sonic degradation. Dynamic drivers continuously degrade in performance over their life due to a multitude of moving parts and use of glue joints."

lol! they write that about the audeze lcd-2 which was a bit infamous for having high failure rates......

high enough with enough complaints that Audeze needed to release a PSA to address concerns. https://www.audeze.com/lcd-2-update

actually, my sense from head-fi posts is that planar magnetics were more likely to run into issues as they are relatively less-refined technology whereas dynamic drivers have been quite extensively developed and the most commonly used driver type for the past 70+ years. Planar magnetic headphone tech is much relatively younger with the first ones made in 1976, but never really gathered too much interest until the past 6-7 years. planar magnetic headphones are still just a niche segment of the headphone market. Only recently have we seen a lot of additional refinement to planar magnetic tech, and all planar magnetic manufacturers agree that those driver types have not reached their full potential yet.

driver failure occurs with all driver types. never saw any evidence-based study that demonstrated that one driver type is more reliable.

edit: side-talk: which engine do you think is more reliable? the wankel engine or piston engine?
wankel engine has less overall parts and less moving parts, but that actually translates into each part being subjected to higher stress and being more prone to failure. 

i don't think that the reasoning of less parts equals higher failure rates is a real correlation. Depends more on the overall quality and build material of the product. there are high quality dynamics, low quality dynamics, high quality planars, and low quality planars. I think it would be a mistake to make broad assumptions based on driver tech.

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #2,181 of 6,313
The HD600, HD650, and K701 have been around for decades and I have yet to see a single case of the drivers degrading.

yeah, i think "in theory" all this degradation stuff might sound plausible, especially if we're talking about decades. but come on, how many of us really hold on to our headphones for decades, let alone a couple of years? quality of manufacturing is more important - how well are they built, what kinds of failure rates are there, etc. 

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #2,183 of 6,313
Just sold my LCD-2F (with fazor) because it was too warm, dark and laid back for my taste. How does the Oppo-3M compare in terms of sound signature? Looking for something mid centric but less warm, dark and laid back than the LCD-2F.

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #2,184 of 6,313
Just sold my LCD-2F (with fazor) because it was too warm, dark and laid back for my taste. How does the Oppo-3M compare in terms of sound signature? Looking for something mid centric but less warm, dark and laid back than the LCD-2F.

I've never heard the Lcd-2f so I can't contribute anything to your question. But I can't say enough good things about the Oppo pm-3. They're the best headphones I've ever owned.

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #2,185 of 6,313
I've never heard the Lcd-2f so I can't contribute anything to your question. But I can't say enough good things about the Oppo pm-3. They're the best headphones I've ever owned.

What the heck, just placed an order. I needed an LCD-2F like headphone, with less bass and more neutrality. Hope this fits the bill.

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #2,187 of 6,313

What the heck, just placed an order. I needed an LCD-2F like headphone, with less bass and more neutrality. Hope this fits the bill.

Then you're in for a treat, my friend 
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #2,190 of 6,313
How are the stock cable? Bad? If so, what are some decent budget cable? 

The stock cables are fine. And you get several choices from plain --> inline remote and mic for android or iPhone. And you get a home cable that is 10 feet long and has a 1/4 adaptor. And it comes with a very nice and practical carrying case. And trust me on this, the packaging is gorgeous. You'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back