Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jul 27, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #2,071 of 6,302
Wrote a simple review of my OPPO PM-3 purchase, and in the comment field I will update with my own discovery of the PM-3 sound. This is a very interesting pair of headphones. Currently serving in my home studio as my tracking headphones. It helps when the cans are not fatiguing for long sessions of tracking instruments. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-3/reviews/13609

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #2,073 of 6,302
I wish I had somewhere nearby to audition these! I typically prefer open headphones for their airiness, but something keeps telling me these are worth looking at. I just bought the new HE-400s, I'd love to compare an open planar magnetic headphone to a closed one, specifically in regards to their quickness and stage presence.

You would think you could find an audio shop that specializes in headphones, but most places seem to have a large speaker/amp section, and a small space/selection relegated to headphones.

I will be bringing the PM-3 to the Head-Fi meet in Chicago on August 8th. You should come (and bring your new HE400S with you, because I want to try it!!).

Here's the info:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/773170/chicago-head-fi-meet-august-8th-12-00-to-7-00-pm-at-tweak-studio

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #2,074 of 6,302
  For those that had the hd25-II's, how does the isolation compare?  Thanks.

HD25s had better isolation, but it comes with the price. Head clamp. Not as comfortable as the PM-3s. 

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #2,075 of 6,302

HD25s had better isolation, but it comes with the price. Head clamp. Not as comfortable as the PM-3s. 

I think it depends on your ears, as my hd25 leaked a lot more than the PM-3's In fact I find the comparison of the two a little odd. Sort of like a VW bug to a Nissan GTR (imo).

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #2,077 of 6,302
I just connected my PM-3s to my new Geek Pulse Infinity the PM-3s really came to live WOW they sounded amazing - more punchy and detailed sound.  I normally listen to them with the iphone 6, and occasionally I have connected them to a GO450.  They sounded good but with the Geek Pulse infinity on high gain, I have to say it brought the PM-3 to another level.  Highly recommended combination.

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #2,078 of 6,302
  I just connected my PM-3s to my new Geek Pulse Infinity the PM-3s really came to live WOW they sounded amazing - more punchy and detailed sound.  I normally listen to them with the iphone 6, and occasionally I have connected them to a GO450.  They sounded good but with the Geek Pulse infinity on high gain, I have to say it brought the PM-3 to another level.  Highly recommended combination.

I had the same reaction with the Infinity. I was using the X Fi before this and it did fairly well but dang, it was nice the first time I plugged them in. You have the Pulse Infinity on High gain? I had it on low and it was more than plenty. Single-ended too. I havent tried it balanced yet, but I shall shortly

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #2,079 of 6,302
  I find the pm-3 isolate a bit better than the hd-25 but not by a large amount.

Thanks, as long as it's the same or better that's fine by me!

Found out about that head clamp today!  Normally use the hd25's at work where I need isolation.  Hd'25's are the headphones I use in the main when not using IEM's, which I'm not doing atm.  Fancied a change of pace today so used my b&w p5's.  Not so good isolation (obviously) but didn't sound too bad out of a humble clip plus.  Result?  Ears are a lot less fatigued than using the hd 25's!

In fact I find the comparison of the two a little odd. Sort of like a VW bug to a Nissan GTR (imo).

Both designed for the portable market, not much of a stretch?  One on-ear the other over-ear.

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #2,081 of 6,302

Maybe what you are hearing is distorsion, but I don't known what is the output impedance of the GPI. 

http://nwavguy.blogspot.ca/2011/02/headphone-impedance-explained.html

I also have the GO450 and my PM3's (and other low impedance cans) sound much better out of the 0.47 Ohm output. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #2,083 of 6,302

Maybe what you are hearing is distorsion, but I don't known what is the output impedance of the GPI. 

http://nwavguy.blogspot.ca/2011/02/headphone-impedance-explained.html

I also have the GO450 and my PM3's (and other low impedance cans) sound much better out of the 0.47 Ohm output. 

I don't think you read that post correctly. He said it sounded better.

On what you said about the distortion... that's not quite right. When NwAvGuy says, "Few headphones “look” like perfect resistors—most have significant inductance and at least small amounts of capacitance," planars are among that excluded group of headphones he mentions. Because they're not coil-wound like dynamics, they're not subject to the same inductive peaks... they're almost purely resistive. Thus, damping factor is mostly a non-issue. Since you seem to be into learning about this stuff, you might find this article interesting. (I linked to page 2, were you'll find info relevant to this discussion.) 
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-planar-magnetic-headphones-work-page-2#XVsl3FDAtCQsmu8X.97

Users who are viewing this thread

Back