Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
May 21, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #1,651 of 6,302
  Quote:

I have a loaner PM3, so maybe this is an earlier "prototype"?  I find it hard to believe they would use a prototype pad for their tour though.  I definitely feel that the padding could have been denser, like the B&W P7, whereas the softness of the pad is more like that of the NAD HP50 which I hated due to the comfort.

All of the PM-3 loaner units are retail units. We aren't using prototypes...

May 21, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #1,652 of 6,302

All of the PM-3 loaner units are retail units. We aren't using prototypes...

There it is, from the the man himself. I never had issues with both the tour units or the ones I purchased after, but then again I'm not sensitive to to comfort issues as far as ear depth/pressure from pads.

May 21, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #1,653 of 6,302
  Quote:

I have a loaner PM3, so maybe this is an earlier "prototype"?  I find it hard to believe they would use a prototype pad for their tour though.  I definitely feel that the padding could have been denser, like the B&W P7, whereas the softness of the pad is more like that of the NAD HP50 which I hated due to the comfort.

I can see how some people can find issue with the earcup depth. I was one of the strong advocates for deeper earcups/thicker earpads. I do think its current form is acceptable. there is a foam ring around the driver, which makes it much more comfortable than alternative headphones with similar earcup depth.

I would love to see replacement earpads (especially thicker ones or velour ones), but that is probably unlikely at this point with the earpads designed to be non-user removable for better bass sealing.

edit: I would agree that the mdr-1r/mdr-1a, z7, and th900 are more comfortable. also would add the mr. speakers mad dog line-up to the list of closed headphones with extremely nice comfort.

May 22, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #1,655 of 6,302
I had both just this week and the pm3 sounds much more closed and intimate than the pm2. The pm2 is able to project the soundstage out front and wide like you're 3 rows back, where as the pm3 is front row with the instruments closer both sides and depth.

The pm2 has a very lush mid and this is due to the open back nature and the subdued highs. The pm2 is a warmer phone of the two with a more effortless sound and a nice decay. The pm3 is more energetic.

Does the PM-3 sound noticeably more closed than the PM-2? Are the mids as lush on the PM-3 as on the PM-2?

May 23, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #1,656 of 6,302
I currently have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P7 and Master & Dynamic MH40 sitting in front of me. I think I like the MH40 better, but I'm curious about the PM-3. How does the PM-30 compare to those headphones?

May 23, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,657 of 6,302
  I currently have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P7 and Master & Dynamic MH40 sitting in front of me. I think I like the MH40 better, but I'm curious about the PM-3. How does the PM-30 compare to those headphones?

I've never listened to the MH40, so I can't comment on that, but I own the PM-3, H6, and just sold off a B&W P7 two nights ago. I like them all for what they are. 

- The P7 is the most V-shaped with big, sometimes boomy, bass. It has the smoothest/silkiest sounding treble of the bunch (in my opinion). It also scales wonderfully.
I sold it off because I own a TH900, which is similar in signature.

- The PM-3 is more balanced than the P7, with tighter bass that still reaches deep (really deep when hooked up to a good amp), but not as rich as the P7. These are very similar to the HE-400i I think, with a more smaller, more closed off soundstage... like being in a small dive bar rather than a concert hall. They scale very great as well. 

- I'll toss in an H6 comparison while I'm at it... The H6 is mildly V-shaped, but not really warm. On its own, the H6 sounds fantastic, but both the PM-3 and the P7 edge it out in terms of sound quality (richness, clarity, overall coherency). I kept it, however, because it easily beats out every other choice in the "full size, over-ear, luxury portable" category in terms of weight, portability, and size on head. 

May 23, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #1,658 of 6,302
I had the P7's for about a year playing thru a Fiios X5.  The Pm-3's are a  much more detailed (a less "veiled") sound.  I used to feel that the soundstage was much narrower on the Pm-3's until I changed from an X5 to a Pono.  The Pono got rid of the "hard margins" and opened up the soundstage.  I would have to say that it will be very different depending on the source.

cheers,  
beerchug.gif

jhv

May 23, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #1,659 of 6,302
I am looking for any information to help build a pair of balanced cables for the Pm-3 to connect to the Pono player.

According to oppo, double helix and moon audio are making them currently...

thanks for  your time,

jhv  
beerchug.gif

May 23, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #1,662 of 6,302
  The discussion of the 4-8khz range lull that folks are finding with the PM-3 makes me think, what is the range of Sabre-glare? So many new hd DACs and DAPs coming out with Sabre dacs, if the ranges are closely matched could this actually be intended?

Probably true.  Paired with the HA-2, I'm in heaven.  Don't really notice the lull at that frequency.

May 23, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #1,664 of 6,302
Not all Sabre-based DACs are created equal... and so you can't really generalize with regards to locating the frequency range of this "Sabre glare".

The much-maligned issues that some have with what they refer to as a poor Sabre implementation, may not necessarily be as bad as how some of these Sabre-haters would lead you to believe. Many are quite good, and I haven't really come across one that I felt was terrible. But of course, YMMV.

I've had many various Sabre-based DACs myself, and currently have 4 that I regularly use: Peachtree Nova, Oppo HA-1, Oppo HA-2, and Auralic Vega. They are all slightly different and to my ears, none have any serious flaws in their implementation. I will say that the Vega is the most different from the other 3, and in a very good way. It is definitely the most "un-Sabre-like" of all that I've had the pleasure of using. Of course the Vega comes at a price, which makes the Oppo HA-1 one of the best values among the recent crop of Sabre DACs.

I owned a PM3 for about 3 weeks, used it with the HA-1, and I must say that it was great match.

May 24, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #1,665 of 6,302
I've used the PM-3 with the HA-2 and I personally find it to be a very strong combination. More thoughts in my PM-3 review in my sig. hope its helpful! cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back