Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
May 20, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,636 of 6,302
only closed portable more comfortable that I've tried is the sony mdr-1a/1r. ymmv

My exact thoughts on the comfort too. The large pads on these are great, only reason I find them less comfortable than the mdr-1a/r is because they have almost no clamping force which means the slide off your head if you look around too much but feel exceptionally comfortable. Pm-3 has a higher clamping force so they actually stay in place and the thick pads still keep them nice and comfortable.

May 20, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #1,637 of 6,302
I would call the PM3 pads as alpha pads lite. They are very comfy and hug your head. The most comfortable headphone I've ever had was a toss up between Mad Dog 3.2s with alpha pads or Denon D2000s with alpha pads. Down side with alpha pads is they're quite head engulfing and gets warm in the summer time. The PM3 pads however have that same loft/plushness without the massive coverage. The higher clamp does indeed take away some comfort, if any, but better to have them secure on than see your new portable headphones on the pavement because they slid off.

May 21, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #1,638 of 6,302
  I would call the PM3 pads as alpha pads lite. They are very comfy and hug your head. The most comfortable headphone I've ever had was a toss up between Mad Dog 3.2s with alpha pads or Denon D2000s with alpha pads. Down side with alpha pads is they're quite head engulfing and gets warm in the summer time. The PM3 pads however have that same loft/plushness without the massive coverage. The higher clamp does indeed take away some comfort, if any, but better to have them secure on than see your new portable headphones on the pavement because they slid off.

It's curious, as I have read so much about the clamping force of the PM-3's, but I don;t find the clamping force to be as much as others seem to indicate. Maybe it's just the size of my head.

May 21, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #1,640 of 6,302
For ME, yes.  That doesn't mean it's right for you.  It depends on your listening habits...to me, both headphones are a little pricy if you're not using high quality DAPs or files...you can probably get away with half the cost for the same quality of sound.  It's all about scalability once you start spending 3-400 on headphones.  You really want to stick an amp on them if possible and some high quality files to really make your investment worth it.  At least that's my opinion on the subject.  :)

What types of music do you mostly listen to?
If I decide to buy another pair of headphones I was considering the PM-3 and the Momentum 2.

May 21, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #1,642 of 6,302
What types of music do you mostly listen to?
If I decide to buy another pair of headphones I was considering the PM-3 and the Momentum 2.

I listen to hip hop (not popular stuff) and southern rock mostly...with a bit of country and jazz sprinkled in occasionally.

For what it's worth, I listen to mostly jazz and acoustic and I ended up going with the M2 over the PM-3 because the PM-3 soundstage was too congested for me (and the M2 was personally more comfy to me than the PM-3 due to lighter weight and softer foam and real leather on the M2 earpads).

May 21, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #1,645 of 6,302
  I am sure it has been discussed already, I seem to remember something, but are there any high quality cables that will work with the PM-3?

I am very happy with the Silver Dragon IEM version.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 21, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #1,646 of 6,302
May 21, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #1,647 of 6,302
I find the cups to lack enough depth for my ears.  After a while my ears would get sore from touching the driver.  The headband is also a bit under-padded for a fairly heavy portable headphone.  My ears are average-smaller sized and the cups have enough height for them, but I'd imagine there are plenty of people with bigger ears would have trouble with it.

For closed headphones, the MDR-1R/1A, MDR-Z7, and the Fostex TH900/600 are all leagues above the PM3 in comfort.

May 21, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #1,648 of 6,302
  I am sure it has been discussed already, I seem to remember something, but are there any high quality cables that will work with the PM-3?

I will be testing a DIY but company made cable that'll be ready to go from an E-bay seller, I'll update once I have the cable in hand and tested. This should have the same performance as "TOTL" cables for a quarter of the price, if not less.

I find the cups to lack enough depth for my ears.  After a while my ears would get sore from touching the driver.  The headband is also a bit under-padded for a fairly heavy portable headphone.  My ears are average-smaller sized and the cups have enough height for them, but I'd imagine there are plenty of people with bigger ears would have trouble with it.

For closed headphones, the MDR-1R/1A, MDR-Z7, and the Fostex TH900/600 are all leagues above the PM3 in comfort.

I've found that some of the early testing units had less than desirable pads as far as loft goes. New units for sale have a much denser (but not thicker) pad. Time will tell if it's wear that does this or there was a revision along the line. I believe the first units had 'prototype' pads that were underpadded, there were more than 1 complaint on this for the early testers.

May 21, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #1,650 of 6,302
Quote:

I've found that some of the early testing units had less than desirable pads as far as loft goes. New units for sale have a much denser (but not thicker) pad. Time will tell if it's wear that does this or there was a revision along the line. I believe the first units had 'prototype' pads that were underpadded, there were more than 1 complaint on this for the early testers.

I have a loaner PM3, so maybe this is an earlier "prototype"?  I find it hard to believe they would use a prototype pad for their tour though.  I definitely feel that the padding could have been denser, like the B&W P7, whereas the softness of the pad is more like that of the NAD HP50 which I hated due to the comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back