Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
May 26, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,667 of 6,302

I just randomly stumbled on this balanced cable for the MDR-1A. Looks like it might fit.
http://store.sony.com/high-performance-portable-audio-cable-for-mdr-1a-zid27-MUCS20BL1/cat-27-catid-All-Portable-Audio-Cables

Well, a few things. First, the PM-3's pinout is different than the MDR-1A's.

The MDR-1A input to headphones is TRRS ordered: L+, R+, R-, L-
The PM-3 input to headphones is TRRS Ordered: L+, R+, L-, R-

Your Left and Right cold signals would be swapped.

Next you need to remove those extra 3.5mm terminations. That will be loads of fun. That cable itself has a sleeve over it that will be a mess once you cut into it. If anything, one would want to retrieve a completely stock cable from these headphones. It will also have the 3.5mm TRRS termination and 4 wires on the inside. You however will not find that on the Sony Website. All the cables for those headphones will have the sleeving which is annoying to deal with. 

May 26, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,668 of 6,302

Well, a few things. First, the PM-3's pinout is different than the MDR-1A's.

The MDR-1A input to headphones is TRRS ordered: L+, R+, R-, L-
The PM-3 input to headphones is TRRS Ordered: L+, R+, L-, R-

Your Left and Right cold signals would be swapped.

Next you need to remove those extra 3.5mm terminations. That will be loads of fun. That cable itself has a sleeve over it that will be a mess once you cut into it. If anything, one would want to retrieve a completely stock cable from these headphones. It will also have the 3.5mm TRRS termination and 4 wires on the inside. You however will not find that on the Sony Website. All the cables for those headphones will have the sleeving which is annoying to deal with. 

Thanks for posting this!

I almost bought that cable to try with my PM-3 but didn't know the 1A pinout. Even contacted Sony but couldn't get an answer.

You saved me a big headache.

May 26, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #1,669 of 6,302

Thanks for posting this!

I almost bought that cable to try with my PM-3 but didn't know the 1A pinout. Even contacted Sony but couldn't get an answer.

You saved me a big headache.

No Problem,

I actually had the MDR-1A's and decided I didnt like them and am now considering the PM-3's. I bought that cable, tested the pins, and returned it after making my decision about the headphones. Just got my refunded money today actually :-D 

May 26, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #1,670 of 6,302
  No Problem,

I actually had the MDR-1A's and decided I didnt like them and am now considering the PM-3's. I bought that cable, tested the pins, and returned it after making my decision about the headphones. Just got my refunded money today actually :-D 

Wonder why Sony swapped the negative pinouts? Maybe just to be difficult or more proprietary.

Didn't get that cable due to relatively high price (for a factory cable anyway; thanks Sony) and am having a custom cable made for the PM-3 (may have it in a couple weeks).

May 26, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #1,671 of 6,302

Wonder why Sony swapped the negative pinouts? Maybe just to be difficult or more proprietary.

Didn't get that cable due to relatively high price (for a factory cable anyway; thanks Sony) and am having a custom cable made for the PM-3 (may have it in a couple weeks).

who is making yours? If you dont care to share publicly, just PM me. I am interested mainly in which after market 3.5mm TRRS male plug will fit the PM-3's properly to confirm that it fits them

May 26, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,672 of 6,302
  who is making yours? If you dont care to share publicly, just PM me. I am interested mainly in which after market 3.5mm TRRS male plug will fit the PM-3's properly to confirm that it fits them

Surf Cables is making mine but still waiting to confirm if the 3.5mm plug will fit the PM-3 (everyone is having a difficult time with that part).

Plug similar to this one I found should fit but yet to be fully tested:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LBPKSNW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=EWA9CUCTHPNC&coliid=I1O17X3GWCPGM5

May 26, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #1,673 of 6,302

Surf Cables is making mine but still waiting to confirm if the 3.5mm plug will fit the PM-3 (everyone is having a difficult time with that part).

Plug similar to this one I found should fit but yet to be fully tested:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LBPKSNW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=EWA9CUCTHPNC&coliid=I1O17X3GWCPGM5

I am waiting on the PM-3 Loaner list. Might be a month or two before I get it so I guess I will just keep my ears open for anyone to confirm or buy one when i have it and see if it fits.

May 26, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #1,675 of 6,302
  The PM-3 are finally available in Canada.

http://shop.solutionsav.ca/pm-3-closed-back-planar-magnetic-headphones-black-finish/

Yes, just found out about this today. Of course right after I ordered mine directly from Oppo in California. Waiting and ordering from Solutions A/V would have saved me a few bucks and some headaches should i ever need warranty service, knock on wood. I only ordered mine when I did because I was under the impression that they would not be available from third party sellers here in Canada for some time. Oh well.

BTW for anyone in Canada not familiar with Solutions A/V, Andrew is absolutely top notch to deal with.

May 27, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #1,677 of 6,302
  Guys, 
does our hp contain 4pin entrance really ready for balanced connecton? or it just connects L- and R- to ground?

I was talking to the person in charge of the Loaner program and they confirmed it after I expressed my disappointment at no balanced. They simply chose to not manufacture their own balanced cable, but did implement a TRRS plug to allow for people to make their own. DHC and Moon Audio were two of the manufacturers that they said were making them.

Quote from Jiffy Squid:
 Yes, you will need a 3.5 mm TRRS. Here is the pinout from the tip to the ring: L+, R+, L-, R-.

May 27, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #1,678 of 6,302
  I was talking to the person in charge of the Loaner program and they confirmed it after I expressed my disappointment at no balanced. They simply chose to not manufacture their own balanced cable, but did implement a TRRS plug to allow for people to make their own. DHC and Moon Audio were two of the manufacturers that they said were making them.

As an FYI, it is unclear what DIY adapter they are using that fits the Oppo PM-3. I found on Amazon a 6 foot cable that has TRRS terminations and the barrel screws off to reveal an even thinner overmoulded plug. It seems almost trivial to think this wont work in either form, so I ordered two of these cables and will attempt to reconfigure one for my AK120ii for when I get the PM-3 loaner. I think this may be the easiest way to get the PM-3 balanced on a budget. Cost of cable = $7.99 + tax (Prime item, so free shipping for me) Just gotta get myself a 2.5mm TRRS male. I will let people know when I am done with the little project. Might have a buddy make the wire though, which is why i bought the spare, as I am not the best with a solder iron and small spaces.

When I get the loaner PM-3's I will try using my digital caliper to measure the barrel and confirm the sizing requirements for any aftermarket cables. I unfortunately cannot say it will be with any certainty that that will work as I am not 100% confident the caliper is calibrated properly. I will see about recalibrating it if possible. 

EDIT: Image for others to reference. It's not all inclusive but its a good start

Users who are viewing this thread

Back