Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 22, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #514 of 6,302
@MattTCG - I've been listening to a beta version, and the sound sig has changed for the final version, which I think I'll have next week. The final version supposedly has more bass and a bit more sparkle. That said, the beta units don't have the bass of the AD or A Prime. They are in the running though, and you can wear them out of the house without looking like a WWII aviator. The PM-3 betas are good. I anticipate the retail version is better. Does that help?

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #515 of 6,302
NZheadcase,

Really enjoyed your review. I'd have to take exception to your opinion that Oppo could have done more. I'd say they nailed it. A light weight closed back planar magnetic, reasonably priced that looks and sounds great. You set the bar pretty high my friend.

That's just one quibble though. I think you did a great job in helping those on the fence figure out what to do. Thanks for the comparison/impressions!

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #516 of 6,302
For Win7 I believe you will need drivers for the HA2. The FiiO amps don't to my knowledge, need drivers in win7. You can enjoy it from your phone, but will defo inprove with better gear.

No joy on those office machine hp outs though. Especially on those compaq or hewlett packard heaphone outs.

Hrm bummer, the search continues for a work dac/amp then. Yea, the Dell I have at work has awful EMI on the audio out :frowning2:

Out of interest, what did the PM3 end up costing you down in kiwi land? 
What's wrong with requiring drivers exactly? Unless the computers at your office don't allow you to install things.

I've often wondered myself if there is something wrong with my pair of ADs. I made a rather crude mod that improves the clamp of the AD to improve the bass. I pump up the bass boost on the M8, and yet it seems to not deliver the bass that I want consistently. It is there, but not as pronounced.

This might be a silly question, but did you adjust the bass port of the AD at all?

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #518 of 6,302
  Can someone tell me how are the PM-3 with Rock and Metal music ?

Do they have enough bite with distorted electric guitars ?

I have been listening to a lot of rock with them and loving it, this morning  i put on "Who's Next" and man, that LP is sounding so good on these HP, also threw Thin Lizzy's Vagabonds Of the Western World" on as well as a bunch of Fugazi, Sabbath, Queen, and Funkadelic and it all sounds slamming, you'll def hear how well an LP was mixed/mastered (been listening to these via my AK120) 

The Who and Fugazi are good examples to listen to for electric guitars as they tend to stick to strict rhythms (not so much soloing) but even stuff like Funkadelic/Zep & Sabbath sounds excellent, nice warm and heavy fuzzy...

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #519 of 6,302
NZheadcase,

Really enjoyed your review. I'd have to take exception to your opinion that Oppo could have done more. I'd say they nailed it. A light weight closed back planar magnetic, reasonably priced that looks and sounds great. You set the bar pretty high my friend.

That's just one quibble though. I think you did a great job in helping those on the fence figure out what to do. Thanks for the comparison/impressions!

Thank you sir.

I think that comment arose from wanting a bit more sounstage width and depth so that I won't have as hard a decision with the AD. As it stands, I know this week will see me having to make a tough personal choice. AD or PM3.

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #520 of 6,302
@MattTCG, what kinda bass r u looking for?

Just something accurate with a touch of warmth. I'll be using them mostly as a portable with the x5 DAP. Maybe some desktop usage also. 

@MattTCG - I've been listening to a beta version, and the sound sig has changed for the final version, which I think I'll have next week. The final version supposedly has more bass and a bit more sparkle. That said, the beta units don't have the bass of the AD or A Prime. They are in the running though, and you can wear them out of the house without looking like a WWII aviator. The PM-3 betas are good. I anticipate the retail version is better. Does that help?

This helps quite a bit and thank you sir!! 

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #521 of 6,302

The rrp for the PM-3 in NZ is NZ$599. Seems high but if you do the exchange rate plus freight it's close to the USA cost. 

I have no doubt that this will drop around the end of the year as both the PM-1 and HA-1 have dropped in price since I purchased them locally.

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #522 of 6,302
Hrm bummer, the search continues for a work dac/amp then. Yea, the Dell I have at work has awful EMI on the audio out :frowning2:

What@tuatara said. I did get a minor discount for getting both the HA2 and PM3 together. It worked out just a few dollars more than what I would pay if I got them overseas what with the conversion rate, shipping, etc.

Plus I got them overnight.

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #523 of 6,302
NZheadcase,

Well in his defense he praised the PM-3 quite a bit,
and in his personal opinions made some pretty fair comparisons to other cans.
I'm pretty sure it's safe to say he likes the PM-3 a lot, and in my opinion too there is always room for improvement.
One thing that actually WOWed me a bit was the paragraph he wrote below.
I am already planning on buying the PM-3 within the next few weeks, but his description below made we want them even more.

It is uncanny how the PM3s soundstage seems to float around you while you are walking. Perfect instrument placements, natural timbre, a sense of defined space – all while you are moving in space yourself. It was exhilarating and slightly panic-inducing the first time I did it. I had to stop every so often simply to focus my entire attention to enjoying the music.   I had to make sure I was not in the middle of the road, and that’s where the panic comes in. None of my other (portable) sets come close. Good sound, good soundstage, enjoyable presentation, yes - but not to the PM3’s level.

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #525 of 6,302
  I am already planning on buying the PM-3 within the next few weeks, but his description below made we want them even more.

But he had never mentioned anything about his other sets of cans though
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back