Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 29, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #766 of 6,313
It's probably not fair to compare the comfort of the PM-3's against some of the open back phones designed for non-portable use. I would hope that anyone who is making any comments concerning the PM-3's comfort it is directly against other portable phones, but this is not always being made clear . With my time with the prototypes I found them to be very comfortable for a closed back portable phone, but right after that I auditioned a pair of HE-560's and of course there was no comparison, the 560's are much more comfortable. It's not fair to expect a portable headphone to compare in comfort to a high end headphone designed specifically for in home use.

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #767 of 6,313
  It's probably not fair to compare the comfort of the PM-3's against some of the open back phones designed for non-portable use. I would hope that anyone who is making any comments concerning the PM-3's comfort it is directly against other portable phones, but this is not always being made clear . With my time with the prototypes I found them to be very comfortable for a closed back portable phone, but right after that I auditioned a pair of HE-560's and of course there was no comparison, the 560's are much more comfortable. It's not fair to expect a portable headphone to compare in comfort to a high end headphone designed specifically for in home use.

This is my first real set of closed cans and I find the comfort just fine, even with glasses. After a few hours of listening I start to get just a bit of discomfort, but just a little break or a shimmy of the specs will fix that. Sure they're not the HD800s or 700s, but the added benefit of a good seal around the ear is worth a break every 2 hours or so.

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #768 of 6,313

Agreed.  Open headphones usually have far less clamping force than closed headphones, which are designed to rely on the seal for bass response.  Portable headphones usually have far more clamping force than in-home headphones.  And on-ear headphones for portable use are yet another category, which often yield more discomfort than other designs, from pressure on the outer ear.

I found the PM-3 to be more comfortable than the closed PSB M4U-1 and the on-ear V-MODA XS that I just sold, which were pretty comfortable headphones.  It is also cooler than either of those.  Although the M4U-1 folds, I would never have used it as a portable headphone (it is huge and ungainly).

The KEF M-500 is very comfortable for an on-ear design, but the PM-3 is more comfortable.  

But the PM-3 is not as comfortable as my Oppo PM-1, which has larger pads (I like the velour the best).

The PM-3 is at least as comfortable as the closed Audio Technica headphones I used to own (the W100 and W1000), less comfortable than the AD2000 (an open design with huge earpieces and a "phat-pad mod"), and much more comfortable than the on-ear ESW9.

And I'm an eyeglass wearer, although my eyeglass frames are made of very thin metal and fit close to my temples.

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #769 of 6,313

It's fair to my ears. 
cool.gif

I compared the PM-3 against circumaural headphones, not just open back phones.   I'm not criticizing Oppo, I'm just stating fact (at least the facts as they relate to my experience).  I understand that the clamping force is higher than normal because they don't want the cans to fall off people's heads.   By reading comments in this thread, I also know that the "discomfort" is not universal.   This is the PM-3 impressions thread, not the "Oppo PM-3: Post Only Positive Impression" thread, right?

These are some of the  portables (circumaural) which I found to be more comfortable (on my head...YMMV):

Sony MDR-1R
B&O H6
NAD VISO HP50
B&W P7
UE9000
Momentum 1

None of them (except for the H6) sound as good as the PM-3 though.  If I do return the PM-3, I might try the K545 next...or perhaps I will buy another H6.  I have a feeling the Momentum 2 is still too boomy for my tastes. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #770 of 6,313
Hey everyone been lurking but thought I'd share some thoughts on flying with these for those interested.  

1)  I'd estimate they reduce ambient cabin noise (air and engines) by approximately 50%-60%. 

2)  They do take the edge off non-ambient noise (cockpit announcements, kids screaming, people coughing & sneezing, etc).  Obviously you aren't ever going to silence these higher frequencies, but it does take the edge off nicely.

3)  The above statements are *without* anything playing.  I'd be pretty amazed if anyone that values audio first would complain about these headphones in an airplane once their music or movies are going.  Short of a screaming kid next to me I don't see myself having a complaint in the world once music gets going. I can still hear a dull roar with music playing, but not so much so that I feel I *must* to listen to music any louder than I do normally.  I think on softer music (i.e. classical/piano) I'd probably bump it one notch higher on my iPhone, but rock and roll no adjustment required.  I think my B&W IEM's with foam tips do a bit better job of isolating, but I enjoy the audio of these more.

4)  I think Oppo really missed with the case for these.  I think having to plug and unplug the cord several times each day is a bit annoying for a "portable" headphone.  Maybe you think I'm nitpicking, but I wish they released a little longer case with perhaps some type of foam slot where the cable could slide into existed.  It's not the end of the world, but it would have been so easy to design a case around knowing you are catering to portable use cases.

5)  If cabin silence is your most important goal you should probably just buy Bose and be done with it.  I only fly one week out of the month so having a headphone that can tackle the rest of my life is more important to me than airplane silence.

P.S. As for clamping pressure, I extended the headphone one notch and very carefully bent the headphone cups out.  The internal metal that slides into the headband is pretty malleable, and by having the headphones barely open you get a little leverage to be more precise.  I bent them maybe 1/32nd of an inch each - not very much at all.  HUGE difference though in comfort.  You can get a sense for how much you've bent them by closing the headphones all the way and checking the gap between the metal of the cups and headband.   They still close fine, they fit in the case fine, and they sit on my head fine (even in portable uses).  Obviously this might scare some people, but I would have no fears doing this each and every time.  (i.e. highly skeptical if you would break them unless you totally lack "finesse" in your toolbox).  

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #771 of 6,313
The DT1350 is also a favorite of mine -- that is why I still have it even though it is extremely uncomfortable. 

The DT1350's bass extends way, way deeper...and the highs have more clarity and detail.   But there is nothing wrong with highs of the PM-3, they are also very detailed.  I might actually prefer the highs of the Oppo with certain songs.  

The PM-3 soundstage is much wider.  Also, the PM-3's build quality seems to be better -- it looks like it is worth $400.  

Comfort goes to the PM-3...but I don't find the Oppo to be very comfortable.   It's not that the PM-3 is uncomfortable (the DT1350 is actually extremely uncomfortable), it just not as enjoyable to wear as most of the circumaural headphones I've used over the years.  My ears are squished and they become hot after a few minutes.   Because of the comfort issues I am experiencing, I am not sure I'm going to keep this can.  I can't even experiment with aftermarket pads (which I'm sure would fix my problems) because the pads are not user-replaceable.

If you like the DT1350 then you will probably like the PM-3.   They have different signatures, but they both are equally delicious.   

I have the PM-3 on my head right now...man, this is one good sounding headphone!!!

I have no issue with the comfort of my dt1350s. That said, mine are pre-facelifts that have the t51p pads on them. Generally, clamping force to me isn't an issue, it's my now-balding sensitive head :eek: . Clamping force can easily be reduced with spacers, such as books, overnight or longer, if needed.

I am on the list for the PM-3 demo unit that will be traveling around, so I'm going to hold off on purchase until I get a chance to hear it first.

It seems like the biggest complaint about the PM-3's comfort are clamping force and those that have larger ears. I agree, I wish the pads were rollable, but sometimes not having the option of fiddling can prevent the temptation to pad roll. It's easy in is hobby to forget to actually enjoy music!

To me, this is a better version of what I liked about the DT-1350. Its got that very resolved/smooth sound. The bass on the dt-1350 extends a bit further, but the PM-3s do everything else better IMO. The gorgeous midrange and bells and symbols, etc sound amazingly real in space showing just how resolved the treble is.

If you like the DT-1350, you'll most likely like these even better.

Can the treble get fatiguing like the dt1350 with poor recordings? I love the dt1350, but it really stands out being well driven by my AudioGD gear. I like the idea of an easier to drive can that doesn't need a great amp, for travel, but still sounds good. The caveat to my dt1350, it was not nearly as enjoyable directly from my phone.

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #774 of 6,313

None of them (except for the H6) sound as good as the PM-3 though.  If I do return the PM-3, I might try the K545 next...or perhaps I will buy another H6.  I have a feeling the Momentum 2 is still too boomy for my tastes. 

I wouldn't describe the M2 as "boomy", I hate boomy myself. I think it's quite a step up from the originals. Much more comfortable for me than the PM-3, as I am also in the group who has discomfort due to the clamping force (alleviated a little by elongating them a bit more, less secure fit, but more comfortable).

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #775 of 6,313

I wouldn't describe the M2 as "boomy", I hate boomy myself. I think it's quite a step up from the originals. Much more comfortable for me than the PM-3, as I am also in the group who has discomfort due to the clamping force (alleviated a little by elongating them a bit more, less secure fit, but more comfortable).

I haven't yet heard the PM-3, but in reference to the M2 they are a clear step up from the originals. The deeper earcups and the tuned treble create a full soundstage a provide much more detail than the original. The bass is no where near as loose and "boomy" as the original.

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #776 of 6,313
  I wouldn't describe the M2 as "boomy", I hate boomy myself. I think it's quite a step up from the originals.

Would you describe the original Momentum as boomy?    How is the sub-bass on the new version?  The M1 did not have a lot of sub-bass if my memory is correct. 

The first Momentum reminds me of the HD25 signature...with an added touch of BOOM. 

I am also in the group who has discomfort due to the clamping force (alleviated a little by elongating them a bit more, less secure fit, but more comfortable).

This is what I'm doing.  It does help.   I bought the PM-3 for office use and I'm not sure I can use them for hours straight without discomfort (which would take away from the enjoyment). 

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #777 of 6,313

I haven't yet heard the PM-3, but in reference to the M2 they are a clear step up from the originals. The deeper earcups and the tuned treble create a full soundstage a provide much more detail than the original. The bass is no where near as loose and "boomy" as the original.

How do M2s compare to Fidelio X2s? I like X2 and Earsonics Velvet, own both. Are Senn M2s worth it?

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #778 of 6,313
Mar 29, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #780 of 6,313

How do M2s compare to Fidelio X2s? I like X2 and Earsonics Velvet, own both. Are Senn M2s worth it?

I have followed some of your posts and have a good idea what you like, it is obvious we like a similar sound signature(different tastes in music). Have you ever listened to the original Momentum? If so, did you enjoy them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back