Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Feb 24, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #5,431 of 6,319
I'll begin by saying sound is subjective & I agree with those here who say trying to EQ a planar is pointless & I will also add ridiculous as it all depends on the driver & how it's tuned, like Scioc said.

Well, that's not what he said, exactly. Based on my personal time with the Fostex TH-X00 variants, I think tuning can play a pretty big role on how we perceive sound, but it could depend on a variety of factors I'm not smart enough to understand. Generally speaking though, I think we can all agree that drivers sound like themselves. And no one is calling this headphone a bass cannon.

Fwiw, I feel like my EQ tweaks had a positive impact to the sound. Again, they were not big moves, but they help smooth out the voicing a bit and make the PM-3 sound a tad less congested. That seems like a worthy "specific purpose" to me.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #5,432 of 6,319
Hi Scioc,

Aside from Oppo PM 3 being among the cheapest consumer grade balanced headphone cables out there which is actually good, a recommendation for alternative 'cheap' balanced cables would be from a pro music store, usually made to order but easy to obtain otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #5,433 of 6,319
IMG_20180221_094649626.jpg

I just recently built a balanced cable to go between my PM3 and L&P L3.

The 2.5 and 3.5 4pin connectors are from Lunashops, for the cable i used 4 strands from mogami 2534 and braided them.

Total cost was 14$ for both connectors and ~ 15$ for the cables.
Its hard to solder but managable if you are a bit experienced.

If you have the tools at hand this will be the cheapest option, besides buying used i guess.

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #5,434 of 6,319
I struggled to get it right the first time I tried to do a four strand Litz braid. I found this Youtube video , which makes it a lot easier and quicker than some folks' instructions. Pity however, she did not use four different colours as that would have made it more visually obvious. I have a good local guy in who makes braid cables (or at least used to) but only in silver. I find silver tends to put a hard edge on the sound it is transmitting.

Wilson

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #5,437 of 6,319
I agree as a non-vegan, I would have preferred leather or chamois pads for my PM3's but I guess that synthetic was felt to be a safer choice. In airplanes, which are often overheated, I am sure the non-breathing, synthetic leather will quickly become unpleasant. That is why for plane journeys, I prefer on-the-ear phones with active NC rather than over-the-ear with passive noise reduction. I find my ears get very hot after an hour or so, with over-the-ear phones in a plane. BTW what do strict vegans do on planes, which often now have leather covered seats?

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #5,438 of 6,319
I agree as a non-vegan, I would have preferred leather or chamois pads for my PM3's but I guess that synthetic was felt to be a safer choice. In airplanes, which are often overheated, I am sure the non-breathing, synthetic leather will quickly become unpleasant. That is why for plane journeys, I prefer on-the-ear phones with active NC rather than over-the-ear with passive noise reduction. I find my ears get very hot after an hour or so, with over-the-ear phones in a plane. BTW what do strict vegans do on planes, which often now have leather covered seats?
OH dear:beyersmile:
Well they do offer velour and leather on the pm2 and 1

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #5,439 of 6,319
From my researches, nobody currently makes leather replacement pads for the PM3. PM1 and PM2 yes, 3 no. I am tempted to cut out a ring of chamois leather and glue this onto the PU leather original pads. May not look perfect but would be a lot more comfortable. I would make a cartridge paper template and use this to cut out a neat oval ring of the chamois. I have glued a ring of chamois onto the headband of my Rogue bush hat, which not only makes it fit better but is a lot more comfortable in very hot weather than the original canvas headband with seams. I have plenty of chamois left over from this job. I use Evostick contact adhesive. On my previous Rogue bush hat, which was stolen from my Morgan Three Wheeler in France (someone unzipped the tonneau cover and stole my hat, tyre pressure gauge and fingerless leather driving mitts), the stuck-in chamois headband lining had lasted close to 10 years.

Feb 26, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #5,440 of 6,319
That's it, I found the right pads that improve the sound and comfort, they are cheap and with them
you will get bigger soundstage and cleaner sound I will give a link and picture
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bra...id=f0a9cf9e-49fc-4a32-8fd7-c5716a4885fd&tpp=1

From my researches, nobody currently makes leather replacement pads for the PM3. PM1 and PM2 yes, 3 no. I am tempted to cut out a ring of chamois leather and glue this onto the PU leather original pads. May not look perfect but would be a lot more comfortable. I would make a cartridge paper template and use this to cut out a neat oval ring of the chamois. I have glued a ring of chamois onto the headband of my Rogue bush hat, which not only makes it fit better but is a lot more comfortable in very hot weather than the original canvas headband with seams. I have plenty of chamois left over from this job. I use Evostick contact adhesive. On my previous Rogue bush hat, which was stolen from my Morgan Three Wheeler in France (someone unzipped the tonneau cover and stole my hat, tyre pressure gauge and fingerless leather driving mitts), the stuck-in chamois headband lining had lasted close to 10 years.

You can get the original replacement pads from oppo uk (you have to write them - but they are about 70 pounds).
OR you can do what fastandclean suggested. These pads are bigger than the originals, but also fit the oppo bag, they are more spacious for your ears and they sound a lot better :wink:
Oh, and I forgot, they cost nearly nothing!

Feb 26, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #5,441 of 6,319
You can get the original replacement pads from oppo uk (you have to write them - but they are about 70 pounds).
OR you can do what fastandclean suggested. These pads are bigger than the originals, but also fit the oppo bag, they are more spacious for your ears and they sound a lot better :wink:
Oh, and I forgot, they cost nearly nothing!
Ah thanks, will check those out. If I'm not satisfied I'll just look for the oppo ones and sell on ebay, such a shame, they sound amazing but such poor quality pads

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #5,442 of 6,319
ImI' afraid my DIY skills aren't that good

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #5,443 of 6,319
I contacted Brainwavz about the pads mentioned in FastandClean's post. They are about the right size but don't have the 6 clips and hard surround that others have said is essential to fix pads firmly to the PM3 phones once you have removed the PolyUrethane leather originals. As far as I can see, the PM1 and PM2 phones use a simpler 4 pin fixing, which is what the Brainwavz pads are designed for. I too fail to understand why Oppo would not offer lambskin pads like they do for PM1 and 2. I am sure quite a few owners would buy them. The sort of folk who are discriminating enough to want to spend their money on headphones as expensive as the PM3, are the sort of folk who are likely to be fussy about the material the ear pads are made from. Seems obvious to me.

Wilson

PS I have contacted Oppo UK to point out they are missing a sales opportunity by not offering the lambskin pads for the PM3, like they do for PM1 and 2.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #5,444 of 6,319
Ah thanks, will check those out. If I'm not satisfied I'll just look for the oppo ones and sell on ebay, such a shame, they sound amazing but such poor quality pads
As far as I saw back then when I bought them a few months back, there are also the exact same pads but with sheep leather (and only 10$ more or so) but you‘d have to search for them because I don’t have a link.

Edit: or lamb skin leather (I don’t remember)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back