Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Mar 13, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #196 of 6,302
  Reminds me of The "IT Crowd, "Did ya try turning on and off again?" "Is it plugged in?" I don't know what to think but the cables were both def "clicked" into place, just tried both again to see if i was imagining it but alas i am not.. :frowning2:

Darn :frowning2:  Guess you should contact support :frowning2:  

This is OT, but the turning it on and off again does fix quite a few issues when it comes to memory and bugs.  So there is actual reason to do that.  

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #197 of 6,302
Received the PM-3 yesterday.

I briefly tested them against the Momentum M2 over-ear wireless (I used the cord in passive mode for testing) and Sony Z7 using a Fiio HS2 splitter (source was a Hibino R10; all headphones used stock cables).

Note: I only mention the Z7 due to its current price matching that of the M2 in some places. Neither the PM-3 nor M2 could fully match the Z7's overall comfort or soundstage. Less than 100hrs burn-in on the Z7 and the PM-3 and M2 both arrived exactly the same day so no burn-in yet. The PM-3 is the first planar headphone I've tried so my initial comparison is based solely against other closed headphones.

Initial impression is the PM-3 sounds great but is more recessed than the others. All 3 are easily driven but found I had to increase the R10's volume a bit when switching to the PM-3 to get similar sound pressure to the others. However, they are super detailed and very smooth. I could hear subtle details in many songs that I'd missed before (perhaps because the conservative bass isn't drowning out those details). The bass is good but nowhere near that of the boosted M2's. I'd also give the M2 the edge in treble and soundstage as the M2 sounds overall more dynamic (dare I say fun) than the PM-3. (I wonder if Oppo's design choice to cover the enclosures with flat contours as opposed to semi-rounded ones has hurt the potential soundstage?) The Z7's are very dynamic and it's bass has presence without sounding boosted. It's still early but the PM-3's lesser bass sounds cleaner than the Z7 when using stock cables.

I don't consider myself a basshead, but kept thinking I'd like a bit more bass (since its so clean) on the PM-3 and more treble but I doubt that was Oppo's goal (there are plenty of other companies/headphones trying to outdo each other on the high and low ends). The more I listened, the more their smoothness and detail drew me in. The one word that keeps popping into my head regarding the PM-3 is: accurate. That accuracy gives the PM-3's the least fatiguing sound when compared to the M2. The Z7's unique sound is much more dynamic but equally non-fatiguing.

While I imagine listening to the smooth PM-3 for hours, unfortunately for me, they have a bit too much clamping force around the sides of my head. I'm sensitive to clamp pressure and the PM-3 reminds me of the discomfort I felt with the original Momentums (which I returned). The M2's headband is not as stiff as the original and are much more comfortable despite the slightly larger, (compared to the M1) but still small earcups.

The PM-3's leather is not real and Oppo used solid, brushed stainless in the build which gives them a bit of heft compared to real leather M2 and aluminum/magnesium Z7. The PM-3 is not heavy though and still very portable due to 180 degree, flat folding earcups. The PM-3's denim hard case is also small and relatively flat. The M2s headband folds completely and its case is not as deep but is thicker. Physical volume is therefore similar but I give the edge in portability to the M2 due to its wireless features. Both isolate pretty well passively but the M2's noise-cancelling makes a big difference. Can't comment on leakage however.

Hopefully, the PM-3 headband will loosen up over time as I'm starting to enjoy their sound signature. I can always EQ in a slight amount of bass and/or treble when desired and it'd be a shame to have to return another great pair of headphones due to discomfort.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #199 of 6,302
So now I'm home with some "proper" equipment, listening to vintage Willie vinyl on a Garrard 301 with a Zu/Denon DL-103 cart through a Shindo Masseto pre/phono and Eximus HP amp. I'm happy to report that lack of bass is not the PM-3's at fault as much as the amplification, and these have less than 5 hours of play time. :)

Oh...and as for the proper equipment, I was referring to a glass of Lagavulin 16.

Well if it pairs with peat... I might have to just buy one!

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #200 of 6,302
Received the PM-3 yesterday.

I briefly tested them against the Momentum M2 over-ear wireless (I used the cord in passive mode for testing) and Sony Z7 using a Fiio HS2 splitter (source was a Hibino R10; all headphones used stock cables).

Note: I only mention the Z7 due to its current price matching that of the M2 in some places. Neither the PM-3 nor M2 could fully match the Z7's overall comfort or soundstage. Less than 100hrs burn-in on the Z7 and the PM-3 and M2 both arrived exactly the same day so no burn-in yet. The PM-3 is the first planar headphone I've tried so my initial comparison is based solely against other closed headphones.

Initial impression is the PM-3 sounds great but is more recessed than the others. All 3 are easily driven but found I had to increase the R10's volume a bit when switching to the PM-3 to get similar sound pressure to the others. However, they are super detailed and very smooth. I could hear subtle details in many songs that I'd missed before (perhaps because the conservative bass isn't drowning out those details). The bass is good but nowhere near that of the boosted M2's. I'd also give the M2 the edge in treble and soundstage as the M2 sounds overall more dynamic (dare I say fun) than the PM-3. (I wonder if Oppo's design choice to cover the enclosures with flat contours as opposed to semi-rounded ones has hurt the potential soundstage?) The Z7's are very dynamic and it's bass has presence without sounding boosted. It's still early but the PM-3's lesser bass sounds cleaner than the Z7 when using stock cables.

I don't consider myself a basshead, but kept thinking I'd like a bit more bass (since its so clean) on the PM-3 and more treble but I doubt that was Oppo's goal (there are plenty of other companies/headphones trying to outdo each other on the high and low ends). The more I listened, the more their smoothness and detail drew me in. The one word that keeps popping into my head regarding the PM-3 is: accurate. That accuracy gives the PM-3's the least fatiguing sound when compared to the M2. The Z7's unique sound is much more dynamic but equally non-fatiguing.

While I imagine listening to the smooth PM-3 for hours, unfortunately for me, they have a bit too much clamping force around the sides of my head. I'm sensitive to clamp pressure and the PM-3 reminds me of the discomfort I felt with the original Momentums (which I returned). The M2's headband is not as stiff as the original and are much more comfortable despite the slightly larger, (compared to the M1) but still small earcups.

The PM-3's leather is not real and Oppo used solid, brushed stainless in the build which gives them a bit of heft compared to real leather M2 and aluminum/magnesium Z7. The PM-3 is not heavy though and still very portable due to 180 degree, flat folding earcups. The PM-3's denim hard case is also small and relatively flat. The M2s headband folds completely and its case is not as deep but is thicker. Physical volume is therefore similar but I give the edge in portability to the M2 due to its wireless features. Both isolate pretty well passively but the M2's noise-cancelling makes a big difference. Can't comment on leakage however.

Hopefully, the PM-3 headband will loosen up over time as I'm starting to enjoy their sound signature. I can always EQ in a slight amount of bass and/or treble when desired and it'd be a shame to have to return another great pair of headphones due to discomfort.

Thanks for the impressions, totally agree, the word that comes to mind is accurate.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #201 of 6,302
Well i gotta give it to Oppo Customer service, I called them this am and told them of my plight with my new PM-3's that my R ear is cutting out (yes the cables were firmly snapped into place and i tried them both numerous times to make sure it wasn't Me) after only 4hrs of normal usage.

Not only will they overnight (I had them overnighted initially)  me another pair ASAP but they are handling the shipping costs back and were very courteous about the whole 
affair, all in all a pleasant exp considering i have had many dealings with customer services over the years so it is nice when a company handles their business and looks out for it's customers, i have had too many times where companies try to make you feel as if it is your problem.

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #202 of 6,302
  Well i gotta give it to Oppo Customer service, I called them this am and told them of my plight with my new PM-3's that my R ear is cutting out (yes the cables were firmly snapped into place and i tried them both numerous times to make sure it wasn't Me) after only 4hrs of normal usage.

Not only will they overnight (I had them overnighted initially)  me another pair ASAP but they are handling the shipping costs back and were very courteous about the whole 
affair, all in all a pleasant exp considering i have had many dealings with customer services over the years so it is nice when a company handles their business and looks out for it's customers, i have had too many times where companies try to make you feel as if it is your problem.

It is testimonials like this that make me want to give my business to companies like Oppo.  All the anticipated glowing reviews are expected, but it's when things go wrong that allow consumers to see a company for what it truly is.

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #203 of 6,302

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.  I am not at all surprised to hear how Oppo is handling the resolution.  They are a world class customer service organization for sure.

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #204 of 6,302

It is testimonials like this that make me want to give my business to companies like Oppo.  All the anticipated glowing reviews are expected, but it's when things go wrong that allow consumers to see a company for what it truly is.

Yeah, I loved what i heard and was hearing and though it was a bit of a bummer for a few minutes but glad it is taken care of in such a manner.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #205 of 6,302
So, if I already own AKG K7xx and NAD Viso HP50, do the PM3 have a different enough sound sig to warrant a purchase? Have a local dealer with a great deal at the moment so need to decide soon. Thanks in advance of your advice.

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #206 of 6,302
  So, if I already own AKG K7xx and NAD Viso HP50, do the PM3 have a different enough sound sig to warrant a purchase? Have a local dealer with a great deal at the moment so need to decide soon. Thanks in advance of your advice.

as whenever i see a great deal, i always buy! you can always resale it very easily on head-fi at a deal price. what's the deal?

the pm3 is closed, so good complement to the akg k7xx in terms of application. i have both & am planning on keeping both. can't really comment on the viso hp50 as i haven't gotten a chance to do a direct comparison. from my really short demo with the hp50, I would say that the pm3 is sleeker & sexy-looking for public/portable usage, but I can imagine myself using the hp50 as a portable too. perhaps hp50 at the office for closed listening, akg k7xx at home for open listening, and the pm3 for mobile usage :wink: heh

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #207 of 6,302
  as whenever i see a great deal, i always buy! you can always resale it very easily on head-fi at a deal price. what's the deal?

the pm3 is closed, so good complement to the akg k7xx in terms of application. i have both & am planning on keeping both. can't really comment on the viso hp50 as i haven't gotten a chance to do a direct comparison. from my really short demo with the hp50, I would say that the pm3 is sleeker & sexy-looking for public/portable usage, but I can imagine myself using the hp50 as a portable too. perhaps hp50 at the office for closed listening, akg k7xx at home for open listening, and the pm3 for mobile usage :wink: heh

Hey Money, 

I was wondering if you tried out the PM-3s with any DAC/amp that has bass boost in them. I'd love to get your opinion on that if you have the time!

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #210 of 6,302
Bass boost on HA-2 really makes the PM-3 sing.

That's awesome to hear! My HA-2 is on backorder so I can't wait to get that in. All I have in hand right now is a Fiio E10 and I feel like the bass boost on this little fighter muddies up the sound quality a little bit... The EQ graph on the E10 bass boost looked a little similar to the HA-2 but if the HA-2 is able to resolve the mid range better than the E10 with bass boost on, this would be perfect for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back