Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jul 9, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #1,967 of 6,302
Has anybody compared the PM3s to the Ultrasone Signature Pros as portables? I know the Oppos are less expensive. Im trying to decide and am being swayed towards the Ultrasones

Bp on this question, ?

Anyone compare these to the ultrasone edition 8 or ultrasone signature lines?

Was looking at those for awhile, but these look like they have a good chance at being better at a fraction of the price

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #1,969 of 6,302
Has anyone compared the stock cable to a balanced cable with these? I did a search, but most threads devolve into nothingness.

I'm not the best at quantifying sound changes but there's definitely more soundstage and improved mid-range with balanced cables compared to the stock ones.

The PM-3 stays pretty neutral even when balanced but, with the extra power, there's also improvements in the low-end bass and treble when called for. I'd describe it as having stronger bass impact and more "better" treble (can't think of the right word; but still not too bright) at times when the music gets more dynamic.

Hope this helps.

Btw, I got my balanced cables from Surf Cables.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,970 of 6,302
I'm really interested in hearing from PM-3 owners who have purchased aftermarket cables for use in standard single ended configuration. I love my PM-3's , but I think the stock cable supplied by Oppo, while decent, may be the weak link and I am eager to hear whether or not some of the aftermarket cables produced specifically for the PM-3 provide a significant and worthwhile improvement over the stock cable.

There seems to be little to no discussion about this at all.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #1,971 of 6,302
Bp on this question, ?

Was looking at those for awhile, but these look like they have a good chance at being better at a fraction of the price

Short answer, totally different.
I like the PM3s but there's some softness up top that I don't like, and of course, no slam as with the Sig DJs or even the Sig Pros. Soundstage is narrower as well... PM3 == good but I'd still take Signature DJ/Pro's based on sound quality only (and my own preferences). I'm still getting to know the PM3s though.

One thing though, PM-3s are more compact and more comfortable... just in case...

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #1,972 of 6,302
Has anybody compared the PM3s to the Ultrasone Signature Pros as portables? I know the Oppos are less expensive. Im trying to decide and am being swayed towards the Ultrasones

Bp on this question, ?

Well, I can tell you these are about a million times better than the Ultrasone Pro900. That sharp Ultrasone treble just kills it for me.

I actually find the PM-3 to be pretty similar to the HE-500, in many regards. Nice low end and midrange emphasis and a little relaxed up top. Vocal presentation is very similar. They're not quite close enough to be called a "HE500 clone", but I would bet most people who like one headphone would like the other.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #1,973 of 6,302
I've owned both the Ultrasone Edition 8s and the Signature Pros.  They lost their throne for best closed headphone a long time ago to newer headphones like the NAD Viso HP50, Momentums, and the DT1350s.  The world of closed headphones has taken significant jumps since they came out.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #1,974 of 6,302
  I'm really interested in hearing from PM-3 owners who have purchased aftermarket cables for use in standard single ended configuration. I love my PM-3's , but I think the stock cable supplied by Oppo, while decent, may be the weak link and I am eager to hear whether or not some of the aftermarket cables produced specifically for the PM-3 provide a significant and worthwhile improvement over the stock cable.

Seeing as how the PM-3 comes with 2 single-end cables, I doubt an aftermarket single-end one would make much difference.

The stock 10ft cable is much thicker and I thought it would sound better than the thin 4ft cable. It didn't. I also tried a couple other decent 3.5mm cables I had laying around (at least the ones that fit into the PM-3). Still no real difference.

I didn't hear a big enough difference until I switched to a custom balanced cable.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #1,975 of 6,302

Bp on this question, ?

Short answer, totally different.
I like the PM3s but there's some softness up top that I don't like, and of course, no slam as with the Sig DJs or even the Sig Pros. Soundstage is narrower as well... PM3 == good but I'd still take Signature DJ/Pro's based on sound quality only (and my own preferences). I'm still getting to know the PM3s though.

One thing though, PM-3s are more compact and more comfortable... just in case...

Thanks for the impressions (on both threads). I'd love to take you up on the offer of a loaner, but I'm between a move and won't have a reliable shipping address for a few months 
mad.gif

Bp on this question, ?

Well, I can tell you these are about a million times better than the Ultrasone Pro900. That sharp Ultrasone treble just kills it for me.

I actually find the PM-3 to be pretty similar to the HE-500, in many regards. Nice low end and midrange emphasis and a little relaxed up top. Vocal presentation is very similar. They're not quite close enough to be called a "HE500 clone", but I would bet most people who like one headphone would like the other.

The treble is really what I was thinking of for sure. I know the Edition 8s were on the verge of being too hot for me, and I thought the price performance ratio for them was really bad. But with the Signature pro dropping into the $500-$600 range, it might become an option for a portable can.

Seeing as how the PM-3 comes with 2 single-end cables, I doubt an aftermarket single-end one would make much difference.

The stock 10ft cable is much thicker and I thought it would sound better than the thin 4ft cable. It didn't. I also tried a couple other decent 3.5mm cables I had laying around (at least the ones that fit into the PM-3). Still no real difference.

I didn't hear a big enough difference until I switched to a custom balanced cable.

Is the connector on the PM3 balanced? I was looking at the cables and they all look SE.

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #1,977 of 6,302

Is the connector on the PM3 balanced? I was looking at the cables and they all look SE.

Yes. The PM-3 is pre-wired for balanced use and accepts a 4-ring TRRS connector. It was discussed a couple times earlier in the thread.

Ah! That's right, I forgot I changed threads. I was looking in the other PM3 thread and couldn't find anything. Thanks

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #1,978 of 6,302

My SPC cable makes a noticeable difference within the upper midrange - lower treble presentation. Just a bit more liveliness / air to it. Here's another impression from one of the tour members about the cable :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771561/oppo-pm-3-australia-new-zealand-tour-review-and-impressions/15#post_11751465

This is the cable I included with the tour:

I ordered one with 3.5mm termination on both ends.

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #1,979 of 6,302

My SPC cable makes a noticeable difference within the upper midrange - lower treble presentation. Just a bit more liveliness / air to it. Here's another impression from one of the tour members about the cable :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771561/oppo-pm-3-australia-new-zealand-tour-review-and-impressions/15#post_11751465

This is the cable I included with the tour:

I ordered one with 3.5mm termination on both ends.

Interesting cable and reasonably priced as well. I live in North America, so i don't know about the availability of this cable or how price prohibitive shipping may be coming from Australia.

So, the 3.5 mm connector on this cable fits into the recessed ear cup of the PM-3 without modification or removing the outer sleeve? There are lots of 3.5 to 3.5 cables out there but most of them have connectors with large sleeves that won't fit the very small recessed input on the PM-3's without some form of physical modification, which I would prefer to avoid. This is why I mentioned cables that were designed specifically for the PM-3 like those from Moon Audio and a couple of others, all of which are many multiples of the price of the cable you show.

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #1,980 of 6,302
Interesting cable and reasonably priced as well. I live in North America, so i don't know about the availability of this cable or how price prohibitive shipping may be coming from Australia.

So, the 3.5 mm connector on this cable fits into the recessed ear cup of the PM-3 without modification or removing the outer sleeve? There are lots of 3.5 to 3.5 cables out there but most of them have connectors with large sleeves that won't fit the very small recessed input on the PM-3's without some form of physical modification, which I would prefer to avoid. This is why I mentioned cables that were designed specifically for the PM-3 like those from Moon Audio and a couple of others, all of which are many multiples of the price of the cable you show.

The cable is from China. Very reliable seller and quick in responses. The sleeves fit perfectly in PM-3 jack. Just make sure you message the seller about the 3.5mm termination because he mainly sells 2.5mm at one side.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=311050964248&alt=web

Users who are viewing this thread

Back