Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jul 6, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #1,952 of 6,302
True. I was thinking more along the lines of the extra ground (along with the extra power) like when using both headphone outs on the Ponoplayer.

But there is no extra ground connection, it's Left+/Left- on one output jack of the Pono Player, Right+/Right- on the other. That's differential signaling, and that's why XLR jacks have 2 active connections on a 3-pin one, 2x2 for a 4-pin.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #1,953 of 6,302
But there is no extra ground connection, it's Left+/Left- on one output jack of the Pono Player, Right+/Right- on the other. That's differential signaling, and that's why XLR jacks have 2 active connections on a 3-pin one, 2x2 for a 4-pin.

Are you saying there is no additional, physical grounding on a balanced connection including one that uses two separate 3.5mm TRS jacks?

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #1,954 of 6,302
  Interesting article 

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/igor-levitsky-of-oppo-digital-discusses-headphone-technology/?utm_campaign=Hi-Fi%2B+Weekly+Emails&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-392

Great article! Thanks for posting it.

Especially liked these parts:

"In the recently launched Oppo PM-3, bass levels are elevated by about 5-6 dB from measured flat response to overcome the masking effect of noise when the listener is on the move or outdoors.  A closed-back headphone has higher acoustic output impedance and is also more prone to bass loss due to realistically imperfect fit. Therefore that controlled amount of measured bass boost was critical in making PM-3 sound right with realistic dynamic impact.  Given a wide range of potential customers, program material, and the ways PM-3 will be used, I also carefully balanced the response to avoid excessive HF energy in the 3-to-5 kHz range that can easily lead to annoying sibilants and hardness on average pop music.  Each headphone has its own “tuning story”."

"There is definitely room for a few more new names and new technologies. I also think that it would be more difficult for certain companies to ask for prices that are beyond reasonable since there will always be healthy competition."

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #1,955 of 6,302
Are you saying there is no additional, physical grounding on a balanced connection including one that uses two separate 3.5mm TRS jacks?

That is correct. Balanced headphone connections never have a ground connection going to the transducers because otherwise it would be shared with the left and right channels, which is exactly the opposite of why people use balanced headphone connections in the first place.

The Pono Player only uses the tip and ring of the 3.5 mm jack for the + and - signals respectively. If it had a ground connection, what would you connect it to on a 4-pin XLR jack? A 3-pin one has the third pin connecting to the sleeve/ground of the TRS connector, yes, but it's not used by the headphone at all.

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #1,956 of 6,302
I don't think adding more power helps the PM-3 at all. I can't think of any reason why having double the voltage swing would be beneficial if an amp already provides sufficient power output.

To reach 105 dB SPL, the PM-3 would need 2.712 mW of power at 28 Ω, or 0.276 Vrms and 9.841 mA based on Innerfidelity's data. That's a trivial amount of power needed for most amplifiers and even a smartphone can output that. Why would having twice the available voltage swing be beneficial? If anything, it would make the volume management worse because you would have to lower it if the same gain is used, and that could potentially reach the channel imbalance region.

What would be much more likely of the difference in sound is the balanced-line architecture of the amp, which allows for common-mode noise rejection.

I agree there are many factors in this.  I put a few of them down in an earlier post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/756828/oppo-pm-3-the-portable-planar-impressions/1305#post_11548024

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #1,957 of 6,302
Well, just bought a pair of refurb PM-3's. Most expensive can's I've purchased to date. However if I really like them, I'll probably sell off 3-4 pairs of closed portables... So I'm kinda saving money?!?!? 
biggrin.gif

And if I don't really like them, I can always use the 30 day return policy.

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #1,959 of 6,302
These are my favorite portable headphones which I use for work. I only wish my ears wouldn't get so warm with the pads but I appreciate the isolation the deal gives. I'd love to see an optional velour pad but I'm not sure that'll happen.

If they continue to sell I wouldn't be surprised to see more accessories become available. I'd like a case that can hold the ha-2 and pm-3s.

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #1,960 of 6,302

These are my favorite portable headphones which I use for work. I only wish my ears wouldn't get so warm with the pads but I appreciate the isolation the deal gives. I'd love to see an optional velour pad but I'm not sure that'll happen.

If they continue to sell I wouldn't be surprised to see more accessories become available. I'd like a case that can hold the ha-2 and pm-3s.

I have no idea of any actual sales figures for the PM-3's, but i would be willing to bet that they are already the best selling headphones Oppo has released. I agree with your supposition and if they continue to sell as well as they appear to be, you may begin seeing aftermarket accessories, other than cables, from third party manufacturers although i haven't a clue what those accessories may be.

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #1,961 of 6,302
In my quest for the perfect portable headphones for my ZX2 I got hold of a pair of these yesterday. Really interesting. They don't have the studio clarity of the EL-8 closed and my P7 seem to have better separation of instruments and frequencies but the PM-3 are joyously warm and musical with treble that's easier on the ear than both of the aforementioned. They're also more comfortable and very sexy in white.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #1,962 of 6,302

I'm not 100% on this since I don't have the HA-2 but I feel like it can be packed into the PM-3's traveling case. I've not had trouble fitting things under the headband but over the earpads. Is it too big?

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,963 of 6,302
I have no idea of any actual sales figures for the PM-3's, but i would be willing to bet that they are already the best selling headphones Oppo has released. I agree with your supposition and if they continue to sell as well as they appear to be, you may begin seeing aftermarket accessories, other than cables, from third party manufacturers although i haven't a clue what those accessories may be.

I would love to see an aftermarket open up but when talking to the representative, he mentioned that the earpads are on very tight to create a good deal for isolation. He also said that they are very difficult to remove. It worries me that replacing the pads myself with an aftermarket pad would be too difficult or that I would mess something up. I wish Oppo themselves would offer it and maybe I could send mine back for the change.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #1,964 of 6,302
I would love to see an aftermarket open up but when talking to the representative, he mentioned that the earpads are on very tight to create a good deal for isolation. He also said that they are very difficult to remove. It worries me that replacing the pads myself with an aftermarket pad would be too difficult or that I would mess something up. I wish zippo themselves would offer it and maybe I could send mine back for the change.

Oppo does allow you to send back your headphones to replace the earpads. Not sure if they would be willing to replace with a 3rd party earpad, but you can definitely ask them. I've always found their customer service to be quite friendly.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,965 of 6,302
Got my PM-3s today! Pretty impressive right off the bat. My quick first impressions:

PROS: Vocals are very natural and smooth... definitely its most impressive aspect at first blush. Good decay speed, depth and texture on the bass. Imaging is solid and well defined. Lovely planar midrange. Like most planars, it's very, very easy to EQ the headphone to your liking - you can easily change it to a bass monster or a snappy rock headphone with minimal adjustments. Incredibly easy to drive - it seems to work equally well from an amp or an iPhone. Isolation is great. Build quality, comfort, aesthetics and extras are all top notch.

CONS: The soundstage is a bit smaller, but it's well-rounded in shape. Sound images seem to be a touch on the small side overall - it's not a big sound, but it is quite full. It's a little bright in the upper mids from about 2khz to 4khz, but I'd rather have a little extra brightness and lift here, as opposed to recession - it's easy to EQ out. The sound is definitely lacking in air, which is the headphone's most obvious shortcoming. Setting a parametric EQ rise of about 4db between 6.5khz and 14khz seemed to solve the problem for me. YMMV, of course.

Overall, I'd say this is my favorite closed back portable so far. I like it significantly better than the NAD Viso HP50, V-Moda M-100, ATH M-50 and Ultrasone Pro900. It gives a nice, neutral-ish sound, with some minor colorations which can be further flattened out with some very small EQ adjustments. It sounds a little like a mini, portable HE500, albeit with a slightly different set of colorations from 2khz on upward. They both have that intoxicating lower midrange and bass though, so I can see myself enjoying a lot of the same music for the same reasons on both.

Big thumbs up on this one. I highly recommend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back