OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program
Jul 20, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #362 of 991
  I sent the  PM-3 Unit #2 off to OrganMonster  today.

Yes there must be something wrong with mrsprinkles setup or possibly the demo unit. I compared the PM3 to several headphones. At first I thought they were a bit too laid back for me, but they do grow on one. I spent maybe 7 hours yesterday listening to them driven by the FiiO X5II. I enjoyed them immensely. In fact, I think I will pick up a pair to replace my previous portable go to... The HP50.

I have no idea how someone could listen to these headphones  with them connected properly and using something above marginal equipment and say the kind of things that he said. They were entirely to good to warrant this.

It is possible that there is something wrong with the demo unit. Maybe somebody amped them too hard and turned them up to max and damaged something? I don't listen at loud volumes. Never have. 
I have to say I have been watching movies with these headphones and for HT applications they are freakin phenomenal. It's like being at a movie theater.

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #363 of 991
Thanks. can't wait to give them a spin to see how they do against my other sets.

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #365 of 991
Oh cool, I'd love to compare to my new alpha dogs; I agree to the terms and conditions.

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #367 of 991

It is possible that there is something wrong with the demo unit. Maybe somebody amped them too hard and turned them up to max and damaged something? I don't listen at loud volumes. Never have. 
I have to say I have been watching movies with these headphones and for HT applications they are freakin phenomenal. It's like being at a movie theater.

I'd like to hear from mrsprinkles again to make sure there was no mistake on the setup of the phones. I just cannot believe that anybody could pan the PM3s that hard, unless something was wrong in the setup or the phones were blown.

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #369 of 991
I'd have to be a major idiot not to know how to connect headphones to an amp guys.

Or... Just human. Like the rest of us.
I'm not an idiot, and neither is my fiancé. We own a pair of them and it's happened once in a while. Anyhow. With a negative review like yours. It needs to be confirmed.
It's too bad you think so poorly of them.
Even on a bad day I would call them way better than average headphones.
I actually prefer them over my HE-560's for some music.
But that's with a Norne Zoetic balanced cable (Eidolic tellerium 4pin XLR) . Yes, the pm3 is ready for balanced! Has 4pole 3.5mm input. The iPhone cable is crap. The stock cable is ok though. Both of us have been guilt of accidentally plugging it in reverse. It doesn't take an idiot to do that. Nobody is calling you an idiot.
Brain farts happen to the best of us.
But you are sure you didn't. So that's that! Done deal. You hate them. We got it. That makes you one of the very small percentage of auditioners on this pm3 tour that dislike them.
I had a pair of He400i's before my HE560's... and they sound significantly better than those. My 560's are still better, just different.
Was your impression on an iPhone negative too? As basic of a source as that. (Actually not bad) it sounds pretty spectacular. They definitely don't need an amp. They can be easily over driven.

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #370 of 991
I'd have to be a major idiot not to know how to connect headphones to an amp guys.

And it's not connecting headphones to an amp... It's connecting the cable to the headphones.
They are directional. Highly sensitive. As in reverse they sound really weird. Or if they are not entirely clicked in. Again, really weird sound. They are wired to be balanced yet the cable is not balanced. So if plugged in... Just slightly off... It is havok.
I own them, and know this. It happens once in a while.

But who knows. I'm probably just an idiot :wink: I prefer to call myself just a human.
I would hope you give the pm3 another chance. Even though you're sure you didn't make that mistake.

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #371 of 991
Jul 21, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #372 of 991
Guys we're talking about a pair of 3.5mm TRS connectors. They're either in the socket or they're not. Obviously the threaded end goes into the amp and the other end goes into the headphones. I'm convinced now that there is something wrong with these. There's no way they're supposed to sound THIS bad. They really do sound aweful. When my time with them is up I've been told to ship them back to Jiffy Squid so that he can check them out. I have a feeling the last guy who had them or maybe the guy before that might have overamplified them and caused damage. I have only used them at reasonable volumes but I feel something is off. If they are supposed to compete with my 400is, or in some people's opinion, even 560s... something is wrong. These sound a little worse than SR80s to me, and that's a $120 headphone.

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #373 of 991
Fair enough. Sounds like you did your part.

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #374 of 991
I'd like to think that if I can make a living assembling and troubleshooting computers, I can hook up a 3.5mm TRS cable :)
Don't get me wrong, I very greatly (beyond words, actually) appreciate that, through my forum membership, I was able to use these headphones at home for a week... well it'll be a week Friday. I really appreciate that. I'm sorry that I didn't like them and that I gave them a bad review, but I felt that honesty was the best policy, as I always do. I have used them now on a multitude of sources, including the HP out on my TEAC UD 301, an Arcam rPAC, an iphone, and my Marantz PM5005... in no case was I particularly impressed. The only time these cans have impressed me is for watching movies, where they really do excel in my opinion. If I turn them up to a fairly high but still reasonable volume I feel like I'm in a movie theater. It was great. Especially for action movies. For music though, and that is the main purpose of these cans, they let me down. 

I wish I could have given these a glowing review in exchange for the faith that was put in me by Oppo by allowing me to use them for a week, but that would have been dishonest on my part. As it stands, with the sources I have (and nobody can test cans on a source they don't have) I am vastly (and I mean very vastly) more impressed with my Hifiman HE400is in every possible way vs the Oppo PM3. 

Sorry if that offends anybody.

I will be shipping these off to Friday. Still waiting for Jiffysquid to confirm whether he wants these sent to the next guy in Quebec or back to Oppo to see if they are blown.

Cheers all.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #375 of 991
If this loaner program is still open, I would love to participate and agree to the terms. I am located in Woodinville, WA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back