OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Oct 11, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #632 of 743
If you have the budget, Alex does amazing things with the Audio Zenith PMx2's (transformationally modified PM-2's) All the comfort, but remarkable neutrality and significantly less distortion/flop. Worst case, put it on him to track down Oppo for you :wink:

I considered that, but I know it's non-reversible. I have to send them off to America, and what happens if I dislike the new sound signature? Also the law of diminishing returns may apply. Spending a further $900 on the Zenith modification, after I just spent $850 on the headphones+earpads isn't something I'd want to do in a hurry. We just recently had a price drop from £700 to £600 for the PM-2, but I think Europe pays a premium for Oppo Digital products vs US customers.
Then I would have to ask myself if the total cost is worth $1800-1900 after shipping....

Maybe It is, but I'd want to hear a pair first before sending mine away.

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #633 of 743
Just got my PM-2's in from someone in this thread.

Really loving them! It sounds similar to my AH-MM400 but its open backed so it has slightly different tones and less sub bass with the pads that it came on (suede it feels like).
Not sure if these are the PM-1 pads or not.

Oct 24, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #634 of 743
Just got my PM-2's in from someone in this thread.

Really loving them! It sounds similar to my AH-MM400 but its open backed so it has slightly different tones and less sub bass with the pads that it came on (suede it feels like).
Not sure if these are the PM-1 pads or not.

I found the lambskin earpads don't get hot after a couple of hours. But the PM-2 pads did. They aren't really any visual differences even side by side. The PM-1 is obviously lambskin and softer / real leather. But there's no writing indication, at least not on mine.

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #637 of 743
How would you compare them to the Aeons ?
The two are very comparable, the Aeons have "better" tonality and can give you a live vibe. But the detail retrieval of both and the accuracy of the notes are very comparable.
I actually alternate back and forth between the PM-2 and the Aeon because the PM-2 is more comfortable and its semi-open so I can easily hear my own voice which is useful for gaming when I am on voice chat with my buddies or if I need to listen for the door in my house.

Don't get me wrong though the Aeon is still comfortable, just the PM-1 pads I have on the PM-2 outclass it in terms of comfort.

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #638 of 743
Have had my PM2's for 2 weeks now and have to agree they are comfortable and sound very good with everything I have thrown at them. Glad I bought a pair in the end.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #639 of 743
Have had my PM2's for 2 weeks now and have to agree they are comfortable and sound very good with everything I have thrown at them. Glad I bought a pair in the end.

I love mine, but they have a flat sound which really isn't engaging and I understand how some people don't like that.
However the Aeons are better at basically everything, but thus headphone is unique in a combination of comfort and sound quality and power requirements.

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #641 of 743
Unfortunately, I'm organising a refund for my recently acquired Oppo PM-2. I purchased them with the hopes of upgrading from my stock HifiMan HE-400S, but after trialing them for a few days I've decided I prefer the sound of the HE-400S.

I'm no expert, so I'm not able to articulate my experience well, but to my ear the PM-2 sounds boxy, as though some mid-high frequency band has been dipped. Almost like I'm listening inside a cabinet. They sound distinctly less open than the HE-400S, which have a markedly wider, airier sound. The bass is more present in the PM-2, however.

For my taste, the PM-2 wasn't an upgrade sound-wise. It may prove to be comfort-wise, but I haven't worn them long enough to really tell. The primary reason I am trying to replace my HE-400S is because they clamp too tight and give me pressure headaches.

I'm certainly open to upgrade recommendations.

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #642 of 743
These headphones need warm-up. New headphones "out of the box" sound somewhat clamped. Already after 30 hours warm-up, high frequencies are noticeably improved. For full disclosure of the potential, I think, it is necessary to warm a minimum of 150-200 hours.

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #643 of 743
IMG_20180112_135844.jpg

Oppo PM-2 vs Sennheiser HD 800

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #644 of 743
These headphones need warm-up. New headphones "out of the box" sound somewhat clamped. Already after 30 hours warm-up, high frequencies are noticeably improved. For full disclosure of the potential, I think, it is necessary to warm a minimum of 150-200 hours.

Are you referring to "burn-in"? I'm on the fence about whether that's really a thing. Thanks for the advice anyway.

I ended up returning them and auditioning a bunch of headphones in store. I was most satisfied with the sound, comfort, and look of the Beyerdynamic DT 1990. I am enjoying them a lot so far.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #645 of 743
Yes, warming really does. I heard it on all my headphones, and not only. Also there is an opinion that PM-1, PM-2 can be listened to even on a smartphone. I do not agree with this. these headphones need a high-quality source and a high-resolution amplifier, then they really will reveal their patent. By the nature of the sound PM-2 is closer to the analog source and the tubes amplifer. The Sennheiser HD 800 is closer to the digital source and transistors. that is, they have a completely different sound signature.
IMG_20180112_135844.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back