OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Sep 18, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #617 of 743
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #618 of 743
Got now over 100 hours running time and mid peak is still a bit too much for me. According to Inner fidelity graphs, with leather pads the peak would be few dB less. Anyone compared leather and stock pads? Is it possible to actually hear the difference with music?

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/portable-luxury-lower-price-oppo-pm-2-measurements

I only listened to the PM-2 with the standard pads for about a week. The PM-1 Leather pads make it seem more airy, I thought they increased the soundstage width ever so slightly. But they also made them a little less bright, but I'm not sure if this change came from burn in or not. What amp are you using to power them, I didn't find the mid peak too much. But these definitely do have an emphasis on the mids.

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #619 of 743
I only listened to the PM-2 with the standard pads for about a week. The PM-1 Leather pads make it seem more airy, I thought they increased the soundstage width ever so slightly. But they also made them a little less bright, but I'm not sure if this change came from burn in or not. What amp are you using to power them, I didn't find the mid peak too much. But these definitely do have an emphasis on the mids.

I'm using Chord Hugo2 which is neutral. Sounds like leather pads are worth testing.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #620 of 743
Decided to return Oppos. Mid peak/issue was too much, and they were lacking air and hf detail that I seem to like with my old hps.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #621 of 743
Decided to return Oppos. Mid peak/issue was too much, and they were lacking air and hf detail that I seem to like with my old hps.

Well, not everyone is going to like them. That's why there are so many choices in headphones today. Personally I find that they do so much right, that I am willing to overlook the few mild shortcomings they display.

Having said that I am considering finding a replacement. The problem is that anything else that is truly portable, which any headphone I buy must be, is either not as good or cost prohibitive in terms of my budget. I had been thinking of the Meze's but when I heard a pair they had more trade offs than the PM-3's and overall I found the PM-3's to be better overall for my tastes. I would love to see some suggestions for other closed back portable headphones in the same price range as the Oppo's that truly compete with them soundwise. There are others for certain that have the possibility to outperform the PM-3, but the ones I can think of are multiples of the PM-3's price.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #622 of 743
Well, not everyone is going to like them. That's why there are so many choices in headphones today. Personally I find that they do so much right, that I am willing to overlook the few mild shortcomings they display.

Having said that I am considering finding a replacement. The problem is that anything else that is truly portable, which any headphone I buy must be, is either not as good or cost prohibitive in terms of my budget. I had been thinking of the Meze's but when I heard a pair they had more trade offs than the PM-3's and overall I found the PM-3's to be better overall for my tastes. I would love to see some suggestions for other closed back portable headphones in the same price range as the Oppo's that truly compete with them soundwise. There are others for certain that have the possibility to outperform the PM-3, but the ones I can think of are multiples of the PM-3's price.

They really have lots of good going for them, so it was hard decision.

I've got the same problem, finding the best HPs for my taste. Have listened so far 10+ models from Audeze, Sennheiser, Hifiman, Oppo, Beyerdynamic etc. Either they are too uncomfortable or some issue with sound. Only Koss KCS35 works for me (tho lacking in low and high end) and Hifiman Susvara is too expensive.

Mission impossible, but have to start a new thread about this...

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #628 of 743
If anyone is willing to sell their oppo pm2, let me know !

Where are you located? I have no intention of selling my 1 month old PM-2's as I absolutely adore them. But I believe there a few sellers in the UK / Europe who still seem to have the PM-2 in stock.

I understand how there is no universally perfect headphone as people have different preferences. For me I really like the slightly higher mid peak, they sound good with everything. And the sound stage is wide enough without being too wide when using the pm-1 earpads. Comparing it to the HD800's, LCD-2, .. they both have great qualities but the HD800 especially made 75% of media sound awful. If you want to use the headphone for youtube, tv shows etc without them ripping out the audio the PM-2's are your best bet. Even listening to losless music the HD800's started to fatigue me after 20 minutes. The elear was such a disappointment for me, can't understand the hype.

One thing is for certain, you can't get a more comfortable pair of headphones than the PM-2. Incredibly well built too. And these are the least fatiguing headphones I've ever used, the laid back treble is perfect for me. They're not as exciting as other headphones, but I think if you only want 1 pair of headphones to listen to different types of music but also different qualities of music, and even media you can't go wrong with the PM-2. Also the fact it can be powered fully with a Dragonfly Red makes it great value.

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #629 of 743
Where are you located? I have no intention of selling my 1 month old PM-2's as I absolutely adore them. But I believe there a few sellers in the UK / Europe who still seem to have the PM-2 in stock.

I understand how there is no universally perfect headphone as people have different preferences. For me I really like the slightly higher mid peak, they sound good with everything. And the sound stage is wide enough without being too wide when using the pm-1 earpads. Comparing it to the HD800's, LCD-2, .. they both have great qualities but the HD800 especially made 75% of media sound awful. If you want to use the headphone for youtube, tv shows etc without them ripping out the audio the PM-2's are your best bet. Even listening to losless music the HD800's started to fatigue me after 20 minutes. The elear was such a disappointment for me, can't understand the hype.

One thing is for certain, you can't get a more comfortable pair of headphones than the PM-2. Incredibly well built too. And these are the least fatiguing headphones I've ever used, the laid back treble is perfect for me. They're not as exciting as other headphones, but I think if you only want 1 pair of headphones to listen to different types of music but also different qualities of music, and even media you can't go wrong with the PM-2. Also the fact it can be powered fully with a Dragonfly Red makes it great value.
Well I live in the USA and I know no vendors have it.
There is like 1 on amazon but its $1200

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #630 of 743

If you have the budget, Alex does amazing things with the Audio Zenith PMx2's (transformationally modified PM-2's) All the comfort, but remarkable neutrality and significantly less distortion/flop. Worst case, put it on him to track down Oppo for you :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back