OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Feb 4, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #526 of 743
Very nice find then.
Edition M has 30mm driver..
Edition 8 has 40mm driver.
Edition 8 still regarded above edition M.

If you mod your PM2, you can superceed the Edition 8, which in turn exceed your Edition M..

Edition 8 has a bigger driver but Headfonics review said Edition M sound is more refined, especially in bass. Now Edition 5 is better surely, but its sound signature is relaxed like PM-2.

I might mod it if I can't sell it... But I've come to the conclusion that relaxed headphones aren't for me. They make me sleepy. Both PM-2 and Edition 5 are relaxed. I need some excitement.

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #527 of 743
Yes I too do not like relaxed laid back headphones either.

They must sound alive with good soundstage for me.

From my listening I found the ED5 to have a slight issue with the lower mids a bit less than neutral, causing a brighter overall tonality (with good bass) .

The stock PM2 also had an issue with recessed upper mids,
which I believe was a problem as well.

So the edition M from your perspective sound promising. .

Yet, you really need to check into the PM2 mods to know what you are missing..

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #528 of 743

From my listening I found the ED5 to have a slight issue with the lower mids a bit less than neutral, causing a brighter overall tonality (with hood bass) .

Thanks, I will try the mods if I can't sell the headphone... There's not much demand for PM-2, at least not here.

Edition M is lively. I've also joined the 2nd drop of Fostex TH-X00 which is said to be lively and fun.

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #529 of 743
I've heard the THX00 twice and although it is actually quite good,
To my ears it simply does not compete with ZMF offerings.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #530 of 743

From my listening I found the ED5 to have a slight issue with the lower mids a bit less than neutral, causing a brighter overall tonality (with hood bass) .

Thanks, I will try the mods if I can't sell the headphone... There's not much demand for PM-2, at least not here.

Edition M is lively. I've also joined the 2nd drop of Fostex TH-X00 which is said to be lively and fun.

I think there is great demand. PM-2's sell rather quickly since they are rarely available used or refurbished. Getting one for a ~$500 is a good deal, especially when getting one at that price to upgrade to a PMx2.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #532 of 743
  Isn't PMx2 even more neutral? I'm trying to avoid that. I like U-shaped sound signature.

IMHO the PMx2 is more accurate, not necessarily neutral. By this I mean that the PMx2 is more realistic sounding; it sounds more like the real live performance. This is from a good friend of mine who plays in a band and mixes. He listened to all my headphones and was blown away by the PMx2. My good friend (and son :) Rynsin also was blown away by the PMx2. So much so he is seriously thinking of selling his LCD-3.

I just got a generation 1 beyerdynamic T1 and I very impressed. The PMx2 sound "lusher" in the midrange, but the T1 "sparkles" more in the treble. The T1 can sound a tiny tiny sibilant, but not nearly as much as the T90. T1 is a huge step up from the T90. The T1 gen 1 is a bit forward compared to the PMx2.

I think I'm saying if you want a little U shape with an emphasis on treble, Sparkle if you will, look into the T1. If you want solid bass, mid, and treble with a very realistic sound, look into he PMx2. For U with more bass emphasis, look into the TH600 or TH900 even. Of course there are tons of other good cans like the LCD series, the Ethers, and many more. I guess I need to get me some HD650s or HD800s to at least understand Sennheiser's sound.  

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #533 of 743

IMHO the PMx2 is more accurate, not necessarily neutral. By this I mean that the PMx2 is more realistic sounding; it sounds more like the real live performance. This is from a good friend of mine who plays in a band and mixes. He listened to all my headphones and was blown away by the PMx2. My good friend (and son :) Rynsin also was blown away by the PMx2. So much so he is seriously thinking of selling his LCD-3.

I just got a generation 1 beyerdynamic T1 and I very impressed. The PMx2 sound "lusher" in the midrange, but the T1 "sparkles" more in the treble. The T1 can sound a tiny tiny sibilant, but not nearly as much as the T90. T1 is a huge step up from the T90. The T1 gen 1 is a bit forward compared to the PMx2.

I think I'm saying if you want a little U shape with an emphasis on treble, Sparkle if you will, look into the T1. If you want solid bass, mid, and treble with a very realistic sound, look into he PMx2. For U with more bass emphasis, look into the TH600 or TH900 even. Of course there are tons of other good cans like the LCD series, the Ethers, and many more. I guess I need to get me some HD650s or HD800s to at least understand Sennheiser's sound.  

I like U-shaped sound signature but I don't like treble peaks. U-shaped doesn't mean sibilant/peaky necessarily. U-shaped headphones can have smooth, linear treble. I had TH900 for a while but couldn't get used to its treble peaks. I've heard TH-X00 has a smoother, more linear treble which should be great for my preferences. I also enjoy deep reaching, tight bass with strong impact and slam. TH900 had that, I hope TH-X00 is also similar in that regard.

I'm wondering about Beyer T1 Gen 2 and HD800S as well. I'll audition them in a few weeks. I had a chance to audition T90 but I disliked its treble so much.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #534 of 743

I like U-shaped sound signature but I don't like treble peaks. U-shaped doesn't mean sibilant/peaky necessarily. U-shaped headphones can have smooth, linear treble. I had TH900 for a while but couldn't get used to its treble peaks. I've heard TH-X00 has a smoother, more linear treble which should be great for my preferences. I also enjoy deep reaching, tight bass with strong impact and slam. TH900 had that, I hope TH-X00 is also similar in that regard.

I'm wondering about Beyer T1 Gen 2 and HD800S as well. I'll audition them in a few weeks. I had a chance to audition T90 but I disliked its treble so much.

"U" shaped refers to a frequency response that has higher levels of bass and treble than mid-range. If you prefer high levels of bass with linear mid and treble, then you prefer a "warn" signature. You may be better served with Sennheiser. If you prefer thumps bass, then the TXx00 might be good for you.

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #536 of 743

From my listening I found the ED5 to have a slight issue with the lower mids a bit less than neutral, causing a brighter overall tonality (with good bass) .

I found your mod in another forum... It seems easy to apply. I'm going to try it later this week and post my thoughts.

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #537 of 743

I found your mod in another forum... It seems easy to apply. I'm going to try it later this week and post my thoughts.

That's great.
Today I had a chance to listen and compare my friends stock PM2 with mine.
We also swapped pads and cables.
The total mod translates to a fairly huge difference. .

Basically, what it boils down to this:
50% improvement by using velour pads with center felt removed.

50% improvement in mids to trebles, producing a clearer signature.

More sub bass ommph that more in line with rest of bass, and does not bleed into anything.

So you see that even just a pad swap to velours can have you doubting to sell your oppos. .
:)

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #538 of 743
That's great.
Today I had a chance to listen and compare my friends stock PM2 with mine.
We also swapped pads and cables.
The total mod translates to a fairly huge difference. .

Basically, what it boils down to this:
50% improvement by using velour pads with center felt removed.

50% improvement in mids to trebles, producing a clearer signature.

More sub bass ommph that more in line with rest of bass, and does not bleed into anything.

So you see that even just a pad swap to velours can have you doubting to sell your oppos. .

I was that friend. I will have more thoughts later when it is not so late, but I agree with Maxx's post. Just getting the velour pad with pad mod gets you about 50% there and is totally reversible. But Maxx's full mod is critical to getting rid of that slight bit of roughness to the upper mids/treble. It does other things as well but that is one of its main virtues In my view.

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #539 of 743
I believe the major difference for me is more lively mids and more bass oomph. .

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #540 of 743
I believe the major difference for me is more lively mids and more bass oomph. .
smily_headphones1.gif

This is your mod for the PM-2?  Can you please link to the entire mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back