OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Jan 2, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #511 of 743
How would you guys compare these to the 400i and maybe even the hd650?

I just ordered the hd650 and will mod them to compare alongside my already moded PM2.
I believe the hd650 is a superior headphone but for portable usage, the PM2 are the best I ever used, and in stock form, about same sound quality level as my past Ultrasone ED8.

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #512 of 743

The balanced card is on my shopping list 
rolleyes.gif

Got the balanced card now. Unfortunately since I have the old 901 and not the 901s but I have the new elfidelity balanced card, the low/high gain switch doesn't work. The new card only works with the software switch in the new 901s. duuuuh. Thankfully I found a friend who will swap since he has the old card and swap back in case I ever upgrade to the new 901S :wink: So, I shall be fine then. Generally and in the mode the balanced card is operating now, it already sounds awesome.

Cheers,
K

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #513 of 743
Hi. What other headphone cables are compatible with the PM-1/PM-2? Not talking third-party cables. I thought I read that the 2.5mm mono connectors are used by one or more other headphone brands, but my search-fu jsut doesn't seem to be up to the task of find anything. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #514 of 743
Hi. What other headphone cables are compatible with the PM-1/PM-2? Not talking third-party cables. I thought I read that the 2.5mm mono connectors are used by one or more other headphone brands, but my search-fu jsut doesn't seem to be up to the task of find anything. 

My balanced cable made for the Hifiman HE-560 with the new connectors (2.5mm) works perfectly well on my PM-2. And I heard it should also work on Sennheiser HD700.

Cheers,
K

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #515 of 743
How much power is needed to properly drive the PM2? Does it need a high-end amp?

THey sound great straight off my phone(Note4).

I used oppo cables on the HEX I owned.
Kept the PM2 (moded) over the HEX.
PM2 moded slaughters everything portable, even HEX & ED5.
Unless you need a closed can, these PM2 are way to go.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #516 of 743
How much power is needed to properly drive the PM2? Does it need a high-end amp?

Looks like HD700 / PM1 / PM2 / HE400s / HEX / Nighthawk are all cable compatible

I use a modded PM2 (PMx2) and I really like it.

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #518 of 743
  How did you guys mod the PM-2? Is there a guide?

I'm not aware of any guide. Mine was modded by Audio Zenith. Not cheap, but each one is hand tuned and the results are fantastic.

http://www.audiozenith.com/

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #519 of 743
How did you guys mod the PM-2? Is there a guide?

I really liked the PMx2, and recommend it highly for a reference type tunning..
But some wanted more flavor and bass..

You may have to Google for it ..

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #520 of 743

Really tempted to try out your mod... I like the SQ of my PM-2 as it is now but your post made me interested in making them more enjoyable. Hmmm.

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #521 of 743
I got Ultrasone Edition M today... And they totally kill PM-2 in terms of sound quality. They're also much more portable due to smaller size. I'm going to sell these.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #522 of 743
Wow, the $1150 headphones are better then the $700 headphones. Imaging that. I also think the Ethers and LCD-3's are better than the PM-2 as well.

Are they really "better", or do you just like the sound more from the Ultrasone's? 

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #523 of 743
  Wow, the $1150 headphones are better then the $700 headphones. Imaging that. I also think the Ethers and LCD-3's are better than the PM-2 as well.

Are they really "better", or do you just like the sound more from the Ultrasound's? 

More expensive headphones aren't necessarily better. 

I think both apply. PM-2 as an over ear, feels more comfortable. Edition M is on-ear but if you have small ears like mine, your ears will barely fit inside the earpads. That said, Ethiopian sheep leather is supremely comfortable.

Edition M has a more refined sound than PM-2. PM-2 highs are artificial sounding whereas Edition M's highs are much more natural and lifelike whilst being crystal clear. Mids are where PM-2 is best at, and in that area it might beat Edition M but I have to do more listening to draw a conclusion. However, PM-2 mids could be shouty at times, Edition M doesn't have this problem. In bass department, Edition M is the clear winner. Extension, impact, texture are better in Edition M. 

In terms of build quality, Edition M is the clear winner as well. I like Oppo's build quality but hand-made in Germany from premium materials vs made in China from regular materials? There's no contest really.

I could never get used to PM-2's sound. It made me want to sleep. Now I can enjoy music again.

Ps: It's Ultrasone, not Ultrasound.

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #524 of 743
I think after a little more than one year listening to the PM-2 on diverrent amps and sources that this headphone is underated. Yes the soundstage is small but very deep and holographic like no other headphone they i have heard, except the top electrostatic headphones. Bass has good impact and is clean and deep on the right amp. The sound characteristic is fluid, natural and clean with nearly perfect mids. Only issue are the highs, there be a little bit underpowered and the overall resolution can be higher. For me one of the best magnetostatic headphones, same class like Audeze LCD-3 and Hifiman HE-6, only the Hifiman HE-1000 was better. I use actual the Schiit Mjonir 2 as amp and the PM-2 in balanced mode. Mobile setup is Hifiman HM-901 with balanced card.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #525 of 743
I got Ultrasone Edition M today... And they totally kill PM-2 in terms of sound quality. They're also much more portable due to smaller size. I'm going to sell these.

Very nice find then.
Edition M has 30mm driver..
Edition 8 has 40mm driver.
Edition 8 still regarded above edition M.

If you mod your PM2, you can superceed the Edition 8, which in turn exceed your Edition M..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back