OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Aug 18, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #211 of 743
  Got a shipping notification for my PM-2 coming from Florida through MyUS.  I should be able to give some impressions when I get them - compared to the HE500, LCD2R2, ZMF x Vibro and Alpha Dog in particular.

Looking forward to your comparison (and impressions.) 

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #213 of 743
I'm not really the biggest believer in burn in, but I'll let them play over night for a some nights before getting down to comparing them.

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #214 of 743

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/721338/oppo-pm-2-is-available-post-your-impressions-here/180#post_10806065 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED]

I'm curious, were you part of the Oppo beta and got a loaner or a keeper like a lot of folks have? You seem super knowledgeable about the oppo cans and have had them for a while!

I'm always curious about these manufacturer relationships. If you were in the beta, how did you get in? 

I was not part of the official beta program for the PM-1/PM-2. I have been with some of their other products though, including the HA-1.
Most of my knowledge about the PM-1/PM-2 comes right from the reviews and public forums available to everyone. There's a ton of info out there if you're willing to take the time to read it all.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #215 of 743
I was not part of the official beta program for the PM-1/PM-2. I have been with some of their other products though, including the HA-1.
Most of my knowledge about the PM-1/PM-2 comes right from the reviews and public forums available to everyone. There's a ton of info out there if you're willing to take the time to read it all.

Thanks for clarifying your existing relationship with Oppo. BTW, why are you talking about a headphone you don't have, or where most of your knowledge about it comes from the Internet?

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #217 of 743

Make sure to give them 50+ hours before giving impressions, they need at least that to settle a bit!

X2.

560 vs PM-2 impressions? 
wink_face.gif

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #218 of 743

Thanks for clarifying your existing relationship with Oppo. BTW, why are you talking about a headphone you don't have, or where most of your knowledge about it comes from the Internet?

I have had on hand experience with the PM-1 and have plans to purchase either the PM-1 or PM-2 in the near future.
When I said my knowledge comes from public info, I am am referring to technical information, not about some kind of perceived experience.
I guess I didn't realize that it could be twisted into something else, but that's pretty par for the course on this forum.

So, based on your comment above, it would seem that you own both the PM-1 and the PM-2?
That's quite an investment. I will be fortunate if I can come up with enough to buy just one of them. :wink:

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #219 of 743
I have a PM-2 loaner from Oppo with both alternate PM-2 pads and stock pads. Oppo approached me because they had read my earlier comments criticizing the PM-1 and wanted me to hear the PM-2 and know about its lower pricing. This PM-2 will be passed on to a few others for their impressions. I have no plans on purchasing or keeping either PM-1/PM-2 because I already have too many headphones I am happy with, and I mostly listen to speakers now. As for the PM-1, I was able to hear some beta and production PM-1s at a few private meets and the production version at two public meets. I've been involved with some of the first publicly available measurements of the PM-1 (ultrabike) and PM-2 (myself).

I know how this industry works. Nothing wrong with personal relationships, ongoing relationships, insider knowledge, etc. with MOTs as long as one doesn't try to hide them or come off as misleading. I just find it strange that pretty much all of your posts have been in the HA-1, PM-1, or PM-2 threads; and that in many of these posts, you come off as sort of an Oppo apologist.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #221 of 743
Yeah, and Tyll said while they were enjoyable, they weren't audiophile reference quality. There are tons of 300$ enjoyable headphones on the market. 600-1000 USD means that headphones should at least be some level of reference quality.

Bear in mind that Tyll also put the Oppo PM-1s on his Wall of Fame, knocking off (barely) the Audeze LCD-2. That selection considers performance, enjoyment, AND value-for-price.

He's critically listened to an awful lot of 'phones. (Almost everything in the past 10+ years, apparently.) 

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #223 of 743
I have a PM-2 loaner from Oppo with both alternate PM-2 pads and stock pads. Oppo approached me because they had read my earlier comments criticizing the PM-1 and wanted me to hear the PM-2 and know about its lower pricing. This PM-2 will be passed on to a few others for their impressions. I have no plans on purchasing or keeping either PM-1/PM-2 because I already have too many headphones I am happy with, and I mostly listen to speakers now. As for the PM-1, I was able to hear some beta and production PM-1s at a few private meets and the production version at two public meets. I've been involved with some of the first publicly available measurements of the PM-1 (ultrabike) and PM-2 (myself).

I know how this industry works. Nothing wrong with personal relationships, ongoing relationships, insider knowledge, etc. with MOTs as long as one doesn't try to hide them or come off as misleading. I just find it strange that pretty much all of your posts have been in the HA-1, PM-1, or PM-2 threads; and that in many of these posts, you come off as sort of an Oppo apologist.

Never tried to hide anything. I don't work for Oppo and as I did say I was never a part of the official PM-1/PM-2 beta.
The comments I have made against the Oppo headphones come from my own experience, first hand knowledge, and from reliable 3rd party sources.
Some of it objective, and some of it subjective opinion, just like everyone else here.

I won't resort to unfounded name calling. You can own that one by yourself.
I honestly don't know why you feel you need to somehow discredit my participation and contributions to the forum.
I can only surmise you have some ulterior motive for your actions.
However, I would appreciate if you would just move on to things that are forum and topic related rather than personal attacks.
Thank you.

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #225 of 743
Never tried to hide anything. I don't work for Oppo and as I did say I was never a part of the official PM-1/PM-2 beta.
The comments I have made against the Oppo headphones come from my own experience, first hand knowledge, and from reliable 3rd party sources.
Some of it objective, and some of it subjective opinion, just like everyone else here.

I won't resort to unfounded name calling. You can own that one by yourself.
I honestly don't know why you feel you need to somehow discredit my participation and contributions to the forum.
I can only surmise you have some ulterior motive for your actions.
However, I would appreciate if you would just move on to things that are forum and topic related rather than personal attacks.
Thank you.

I'm going to come out and say that it seems really sketch that you have had so much time with products that haven't been on the market that long, you have the HA-1 as your user icon, AND the majority of your posts are in Oppo threads. In fact, the vast majority of your 210 posts are in the Oppo threads and you continue to make purchasing recommendations for Oppo products and defend Oppo's products which you are saying you have not been part of the beta test for nor do you own. In your position, I'd admit my affiliation with the brand, even if it's to do forum based marketing work on the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back