Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #3,406 of 3,729
The velour are my favorite, followed by the original leathers. I'm probably in the minority in feeling the treble on the alternative leather got a bit harsh on some tracks.

The PM1s with velour running balanced out of the HA-1 have an uncanny ability to make most anything sound great. Even some of my old cruddy mp3s have really astonished me. The PM1s are just so clean and smooth with a great bass foundation that's never overdone.

Edit: typo and missing word

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #3,407 of 3,729
How does PM-1 compare to Sennheisser HD600/650 in regards of ear cups size? The HD600/650 is a perfect fit for me (my ear is touching nothing), on photos PM-1 looks like it's smaller. Can someone confirm this for me? I had only a chance to try PM-3, they sound amazing, but the fit is way too small for my liking.

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #3,408 of 3,729
  How does PM-1 compare to Sennheisser HD600/650 in regards of ear cups size? The HD600/650 is a perfect fit for me (my ear is touching nothing), on photos PM-1 looks like it's smaller. Can someone confirm this for me? I had only a chance to try PM-3, they sound amazing, but the fit is way too small for my liking.

Bottom PM-3, Top left PM-2 (same as PM-1), right HD-650 - click on images to maximize

Cheers!

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #3,409 of 3,729
Sitting here listening to some lossless tracks from the last 4 Bond movie soundtracks by David Arnold and Thomas Newman... and just had to pop in and say how much I love the PM-1/HA-1 balanced combo!

They just absolutely hit the sweet spot for me. They are so smooth and musical, and yet keep revealing things in tracks I've known for 10 years, but never heard so well. I love the deep bass they can dig up, and the sweet treble that never gets harsh (with the velour pads, anyway).

Thank you, Oppo!

:)

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #3,410 of 3,729
Selling my PM1 with extra ear pads, Oppo stand and tuning devices. Please check the for sale forum.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/826208/oppo-pm1-mint-condition-plus-extra-ear-pads-and-stand

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 18, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #3,411 of 3,729
New to ha1 but heard the pm1 combo today as a newish person to the area the sound was sublime. one simple question it is a balanced headphone amp. if i used a balanced cable with the pm1 along side a usb input from my imac is that all i need to do for a full balanced sound. the reason i ask is that there are analogue inputs and i have read that you need balanced input from dac or other source to get full balanced sound. im hoping as oppo say the signal is balanced internally or somin so this point is not a problem. many thanks to all. (ie with a usb input not using balanced input from another source i will get the full balanced sound capability of the ha1 with balanced cables on pm1??)

Nov 19, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #3,412 of 3,729
The velour are my favorite, followed by the original leathers. I'm probably in the minority in feeling the treble on the alternative leather got a bit harsh on some tracks.

The PM1s with velour running balanced out of the HA-1 have an uncanny ability to make most anything sound great. Even some of my old cruddy mp3s have really astonished me. The PM1s are just so clean and smooth with a great bass foundation that's never overdone.

Edit: typo and missing word

I just took delivery of my HA-1 this past weekend, but I'm running the PM-1s on the unbalanced cable. Is there REALLY an appreciable difference with this setup running balanced vs. unbalanced on an already flagship setup? What sorts of things should be attentive to (ie. differences in performance, sound signature, etc.) if there's a chance I might try the balanced setup at some point?

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #3,413 of 3,729

I just took delivery of my HA-1 this past weekend, but I'm running the PM-1s on the unbalanced cable. Is there REALLY an appreciable difference with this setup running balanced vs. unbalanced on an already flagship setup? What sorts of things should be attentive to (ie. differences in performance, sound signature, etc.) if there's a chance I might try the balanced setup at some point?

Personally, I can't speak to the difference between the two cables, as I bought the balanced cable with the phones, and started using it almost immediately. So I don't have a basis to compare the two.

Others here can probably better describe the difference from their own experience, but from comments I've read, the balanced system helps with separation, and helps with definition, especially in the bass. This may be partially due to the fact that 4 times as much power is available from the balanced system compared to single ended cable.

I'm sure someone here will correct me if anything I've said here is incorrect. :)

Bottom line - I can't say how much of what I love about what I hear is due to the balanced hookup, but I do love what I hear. And it's only gotten better with time. 

Given what you've already shelled out for the PM-1 and HA-1, might it not be worth the relatively small price of the cable to try it yourself and see if you hear an improvement? I don't think Oppo would have spent the resources to make a balanced system if they didn't think it had value.

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #3,414 of 3,729

Personally, I can't speak to the difference between the two cables, as I bought the balanced cable with the phones, and started using it almost immediately. So I don't have a basis to compare the two.

Others here can probably better describe the difference from their own experience, but from comments I've read, the balanced system helps with separation, and helps with definition, especially in the bass. This may be partially due to the fact that 4 times as much power is available from the balanced system compared to single ended cable.

I'm sure someone here will correct me if anything I've said here is incorrect. :)

Bottom line - I can't say how much of what I love about what I hear is due to the balanced hookup, but I do love what I hear. And it's only gotten better with time. 

Given what you've already shelled out for the PM-1 and HA-1, might it not be worth the relatively small price of the cable to try it yourself and see if you hear an improvement? I don't think Oppo would have spent the resources to make a balanced system if they didn't think it had value.

Indeed it might well be worth it...but without even a sense of what to listen for, I'm afraid I might convince myself that I'm hearing differences that aren't really there. Of course, the opposite is also true--now that I'm "primed" for some sort of difference, I might be over-optimistically hearing into the experience. ~230 pages is simply a lot of Head-Fi to wade through
wink_face.gif
but I clearly need to do some more research. But yes, given the sunk costs, a $150 cable is pretty much budget dust at this point!

Thanks for the quick synopsis though...it really WAS helpful!

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #3,415 of 3,729
Indeed it might well be worth it...but without even a sense of what to listen for, I'm afraid I might convince myself that I'm hearing differences that aren't really there. Of course, the opposite is also true--now that I'm "primed" for some sort of difference, I might be over-optimistically hearing into the experience. ~230 pages is simply a lot of Head-Fi to wade through :wink_face: but I clearly need to do some more research. But yes, given the sunk costs, a $150 cable is pretty much budget dust at this point!

Thanks for the quick synopsis though...it really WAS helpful!

Hah! love your "budget dust" comment :)

So, perhaps you saw this new post by whitiger over in the HA-1 thread - it directly addresses your question:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/717834/oppo-ha-1-impressions-thread/4710#post_13020662

:basshead:

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #3,416 of 3,729
Hah! love your "budget dust" comment :)

So, perhaps you saw this new post by whitiger over in the HA-1 thread - it directly addresses your question:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/717834/oppo-ha-1-impressions-thread/4710#post_13020662

basshead.gif

Boom...another data point suggesting I'd be well served to at least experiment with the XLR route; thank you...I think it's time to start gathering up the pennies again!

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #3,417 of 3,729
When oppo designed the pm1 we know now its impedence is 32 ohm and all reports say its relatively easy to drive even for a planar. what i don't get is that their top of the line head phone amp ha1 is a powerful beast and was still designed to fully compliment the pm1 in looks, performance marketing etc. i can't understand the performance of the ha1 as set against the pm1. i've listened to the combo and it sounds wonderful. so why did oppo design a powerful amp to go with a relatively easy to drive cans. on paper technically it makes no sense but when listening its great. if anyone could shed light on this it would be great as im thinking of saving and buying the combo in the new year.  

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #3,418 of 3,729
  When oppo designed the pm1 we know now its impedence is 32 ohm and all reports say its relatively easy to drive even for a planar. what i don't get is that their top of the line head phone amp ha1 is a powerful beast and was still designed to fully compliment the pm1 in looks, performance marketing etc. i can't understand the performance of the ha1 as set against the pm1. i've listened to the combo and it sounds wonderful. so why did oppo design a powerful amp to go with a relatively easy to drive cans. on paper technically it makes no sense but when listening its great. if anyone could shed light on this it would be great as im thinking of saving and buying the combo in the new year.  

Probably because they wanted the amp to appeal to people with many different headphones, not just the PM-1.

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #3,420 of 3,729

The fact that a pair of phones has low impedance and can reach a high volume level from a low power device does not mean that it can deliver its best performance from that low power source. A better, more powerful amp will often deliver cleaner, better controlled sound at normal listening levels, not just more volume. The HA-1 seems to be an ideal match for the PM-1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back