Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #3,166 of 3,729
Soem brief reflections about the way the PM-1 sound to me:

The Oppos, with the most "saturated" soundfield I have ever heard from any set of headphones so far, present the music in a more flush fashion, in layers from which the individual instruments/voices bloom.  It is difficult to describe.  

Even though the front-to-back dimensionality of the PM-1 is not particulalry pronounced in itself, the natural--call it "realtime"--bloom of the instrumentation/vocals projects into the soundfield with an excellent sense of reach and immersion for the listener. 

There is a remarkable flexibilty and unflagging integrity to the entire soundfield, as well, coupled with the PM-1's uncanny ability to resolve nuance and ultrafine detail across the frequency spectrum, yet without introducing undue emphasis anywhere along that same spectrum.  

Like the HE-6, the Oppo PM-1 are deceptively quick, rhythmically lock-step in cadence, but seeming to unpack the exactitudes/intricacies of timing and pace in a virtual "slow motion".

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #3,168 of 3,729
if anyone is needing an Oppo XLR able for the PM1/PM2 let me know. I have a 5M cable which has never been used. Unfortunately its not a fit for the cans I bought it for. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #3,171 of 3,729
To be honest, the PM-1 does not sound like a flagship-level headphone IMO.
frown.gif

Imaging is bad, also lacks details and transparency.
Say what? sort of musical and interesting sound? Well, you win then...

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #3,173 of 3,729
I've been trying the PM-1s since a week after Christmas ( received them on Christmas but we travelled for a week)

I have about a week or so in my 30 day evaluation (along with the HA-1). Unfortunately, I may return the PM-1s, not really for sound quality, but they are not comfortable to me.

I tried the LCD 3's prior, and they were HIDEOUSLY uncomfortable, so the PM-1s are certainly better - but the cup size is too snug my ear and I almost feel my ears touching the inner membrane. So it's hard to go more than 15 minutes without taking them off or readjusting them.

Sonically, they seem very good. If I were to force some criticism, I would say they are a touch reserved and not spacious.

I understand the Sennheiser's are generally considered extremely comfortable, and am considering the 700 or 800's instead. If anyone has had one or both, any comments about cup size/comfort vs the PM-1s would be appreciated. I will likely keep the HA-1 regardless of which headphone I decide upon.

I had asked Oppo if they were open to designing another cup with a slightly larger opening..it seems they have thought about it, but would Iikely not happening as there is significant sonic impact that would have to consider.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #3,174 of 3,729
I've been trying the PM-1s since a week after Christmas ( received them on Christmas but we travelled for a week) I have about a week or so in my 30 day evaluation (along with the HA-1). Unfortunately, I may return the PM-1s, not really for sound quality, but they are not comfortable to me. I tried the LCD 3's prior, and they were HIDEOUSLY uncomfortable, so the PM-1s are certainly better - but the cup size is too snug my ear and I almost feel my ears touching the inner membrane. So it's hard to go more than 15 minutes without taking them off or readjusting them.

Sonically, they seem very good. If I were to force some criticism, I would say they are a touch reserved and not spacious.

I understand the Sennheiser's are generally considered extremely comfortable, and am considering the 700 or 800's instead. If anyone has had one or both, any comments about cup size/comfort vs the PM-1s would be appreciated. I will likely keep the HA-1 regardless of which headphone I decide upon.

I had asked Oppo if they were open to designing another cup with a slightly larger opening..it seems they have thought about it, but would Iikely not happening as there is significant sonic impact that would have to consider.

i had the same issue w/ the PM-1s. note the HE-560 has much deeper slanted earcups that give your ears a lot of room if you are still interested in orthdynamic headphones. more neutral sound signature & less warmth compared to the PM-1s. a bit better sound stage/imaging/detail retrieval as well. build quality is not as nice as the PM1s though.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #3,175 of 3,729
i had the same issue w/ the PM-1s. note the HE-560 has much deeper slanted earcups that give your ears a lot of room if you are still interested in orthdynamic headphones. more neutral sound signature & less warmth compared to the PM-1s. a bit better sound stage/imaging/detail retrieval as well. build quality is not as nice as the PM1s though.

Are the 560's heavy? The lcd weight really bothered me, though the cup size was generous

I didn't like the slanted cups on the Audeze either, but maybe that was more weight related, along with the crappy headband

It's a shame the pm -1 is not working out...

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #3,176 of 3,729
Are the 560's heavy? The lcd weight really bothered me, though the cup size was generous

I didn't like the slanted cups on the Audeze either, but maybe that was more weight related, along with the crappy headband

It's a shame the pm -1 is not working out...

nope, same weight as the PM-1s, but feels lighter due to the suspension design better distributing the weight. The HE-560s are my most comfortable headphones (more comfy than the AKG K7xx with memory foam earpads & super lightweight design IMO). I had a chance to demo the Oppo PM-1s and compare them directly against the HE-560s.

The main pros of the HE-560s (imo) over the PM-1s are comfort and sound. The main pros of the PM-1 over the HE-560s are build quality & looks. They are both very nice though & pretty comparable. The PM-1s have a much warmer sound signature while the HE-560s are extremely neutral & balanced.

I would suggest checking out the HE-560s if you are interested in a neutral orthodynamic with great sound quality & comfort. Can be found at some extremely competitive prices if you get used/demo/open box.

I've seen some reviews of the HD800 against the HE-560s too as they both have a similar neutral presentation. This was a really particularly well-written articulate review with HD800 comparisions on the HE-560 thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/11085#post_11220224
direct link: http://headmania.org/2015/01/13/hifiman-he-560-review/

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #3,177 of 3,729
nope, same weight as the PM-1s, but feels lighter due to the suspension design better distributing the weight. The HE-560s are my most comfortable headphones (more comfy than the AKG K7xx with memory foam earpads & super lightweight design IMO). I had a chance to demo the Oppo PM-1s and compare them directly against the HE-560s.

The main pros of the HE-560s (imo) over the PM-1s are comfort and sound. The main pros of the PM-1 over the HE-560s are build quality & looks. They are both very nice though & pretty comparable. The PM-1s have a much warmer sound signature while the HE-560s are extremely neutral & balanced.

I would suggest checking out the HE-560s if you are interested in a neutral orthodynamic with great sound quality & comfort. Can be found at some extremely competitive prices if you get used/demo/open box.

I've seen some reviews of the HD800 against the HE-560s too as they both have a similar neutral presentation. This was a really particularly well-written articulate review with HD800 comparisions on the HE-560 thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/11085#post_11220224
direct link: http://headmania.org/2015/01/13/hifiman-he-560-review/

Thanks

I'll give the 560's a closer look...since they looked like a poor copy of the Audeze design, which I hated, I assumed it would be a similar feel...your comments lead e to think that's not the case.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #3,180 of 3,729
  Could anyone tell me what's the difference between PM1 and PM2? only the accessories?

the build quality of the PM-1 is more premium. real leather, metal, and no plastic.

hypothetically, you can achieve the same PM-1 sound on the PM-2 with specific earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back