Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #3,196 of 3,729
I've been trying the PM-1s since a week after Christmas ( received them on Christmas but we travelled for a week)

I have about a week or so in my 30 day evaluation (along with the HA-1). Unfortunately, I may return the PM-1s, not really for sound quality, but they are not comfortable to me.

I tried the LCD 3's prior, and they were HIDEOUSLY uncomfortable, so the PM-1s are certainly better - but the cup size is too snug my ear and I almost feel my ears touching the inner membrane. So it's hard to go more than 15 minutes without taking them off or readjusting them.

Sonically, they seem very good. If I were to force some criticism, I would say they are a touch reserved and not spacious.

I understand the Sennheiser's are generally considered extremely comfortable, and am considering the 700 or 800's instead. If anyone has had one or both, any comments about cup size/comfort vs the PM-1s would be appreciated. I will likely keep the HA-1 regardless of which headphone I decide upon.

I had asked Oppo if they were open to designing another cup with a slightly larger opening..it seems they have thought about it, but would Iikely not happening as there is significant sonic impact that would have to consider.

Hello!, i have the HA-1 with the HD700s and i am amazed everyday by them. i am a large man and i forget the HD700s are on my head. Fallen asleep with them many times already. I want to purchase the HD800s even though they have less base. But i have not seen them on sale like the HD700s. I rather give the money i save to charity or a gift to friends then give it to greedy insulting dealers!!!! Waiting for balanced cable to come in from sennheiser.

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #3,197 of 3,729
Did not care for the HD700 at all.  Just sold them, in fact.
To me, they lacked clean extension both in the treble and bass.  The treble, to me, had a hard, unnatural "varnished" quality and the low bass lacked clear articulation.  They reminded me of the DT990 and the T1, neither of which I liked either. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #3,199 of 3,729
Hi guys,

thinking about using the Oppo for my mobile Players (X5 / DX90) i would like to ask the owners if you have noticed any difference in sound between the original cable and the short one.
Is the thin and short one able to deliver the same quality?

thx.

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #3,200 of 3,729
  Rather than muck up this PM-1 specific thread, I've posted my throughts on the PM-1, HD-800, HD-700, and HE-560 here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/751453/comparison-review-hd-800-hd-700-pm-1-and-he-560

Very good write-up. Thanks for taking the time to share this.

I like your scoring system. Although personally I'd probably weight the parts as 60% for the SQ factors, 30% for comfort, and 10% for build quality. (If I don't find them comfortable, I'm not going to listen to them much; if I don't listen to them much, why own them?) 

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #3,201 of 3,729
Very good write-up. Thanks for taking the time to share this.

I like your scoring system. Although personally I'd probably weight the parts as 60% for the SQ factors, 30% for comfort, and 10% for build quality. (If I don't find them comfortable, I'm not going to listen to them much; if I don't listen to them much, why own them?) 

Thanks - I was debating a weighting aspect, but as noted, everyone's emphasis is different...I could play with a few variations and see how they score.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #3,202 of 3,729
Thanks - I was debating a weighting aspect, but as noted, everyone's emphasis is different...I could play with a few variations and see how they score.

I don't think you need to do that ... because you showed all the detail, anyone wanting to use a different weighting scheme (mine, their own) can easily do that with a spreadsheet in a couple of minutes. Or even (gahd!) on paper.

On some headphones, we've seen advice on how to "bend the metal" to reduce the clamping force. I don't recall having seen anyone post anything on that for the PM-1. (But there's generally so many postings on high interest topics that it's impossible to remember everything.)

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #3,204 of 3,729
No one out there?
Any thoughts?

thx
I use the original thick cable on my Astell & Kern AK100II, only cause for me I think their is a slight difference in the soundstage and more airy and tighter bass,but I will be replacing that cable and going for the Siliver Dragon V3 cable made for the PM-1, you can find it on moon audio.com,if interested. Here is the link
http://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-v3-oppo-headphone-cable.html

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #3,206 of 3,729
Well, I had a chance to direct compare them side by side. The HE560 does feel noticeably lighter on my head due to their suspension design and weight distribution. The HE560 earpads are deeper and gives my ears more clearance.

The Oppo PM1's comfort was fine, but I did notice my ears brushed up against the driver like the above poster was complaining about. The PM1 does feel heavier on your head in comparison, but its weight is fine.

From my direct comparisons, I'd say the HE560 edges out the pm1s in comfort. You can feel free to disagree, but that was my personal experience after using both for long listening sessions over a fee weeks.

I feel disagree because I too, did the same like what you did. I feel HE560 is way heavier with harder clamp. My ears never touch the driver in most headphones (except grado ofc), so that's not a problem for me to both of them.

Well, lets agree to disagree then.

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #3,207 of 3,729
  I feel disagree because I too, did the same like what you did. I feel HE560 is way heavier with harder clamp. My ears never touch the driver in most headphones (except grado ofc), so that's not a problem for me to both of them.

Well, lets agree to disagree then.

hahah that's fine. people have different priorities on what is important for them for comfort :)

i think either pair of headphones have good comfort & ergonomics overall, just subtle differences that may led certain people to prefer one over the other.

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #3,208 of 3,729
Just put my thoughts up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-1/reviews/12525

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #3,209 of 3,729
  Just put my thoughts up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-1/reviews/12525

Wow, very nice review! This is an example of review that I like so much especially the comparison with different cans. I have the 2 not the 1 and I think your review is spot on. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back