Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #3,213 of 3,729
I've been giving my PM-1 considerable head-time recently because 2 things stand out to me: great vocals, very meaty with lots of texture, and deep, pretty detailed non-spongy bass without overhang.
Although I sold them a while back, the PM-1 seems similar to the AT W3000-ANV, with equally fine (and similar sonically) vocals.
I sold the W3000ANV because I did not like the strange fit of them on my head, like they were always about to fall off. I did like the sound though, but, from memory, I like the PM-1 sound more overall.
The W3000 did have a little more extension in the upper highs as I recall, though.

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #3,214 of 3,729
Just got my alternative leather pad today. Not sure whether I like the change or not.Slight leaner tonality, feel better extension (both ways), and more spacious soundstage. Tonality wise I like the original pad more, but I really like the soundstage in alternate pad.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #3,217 of 3,729
I felt the alternative pads gave just a bit more upper end and a more balanced sound. Technically the velours felt even better balanced to my ears, but contrarily felt more etched yet cleaner at the same time.

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #3,218 of 3,729
So now I decide to stick to the original leather pads, they just sound meatier and closer to realism from my perspective. But I can see myself changing the pads in the future just for fun and enjoy the different sound character

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #3,219 of 3,729
Can someone please let me know if the HD700 connectors work with the PM-1/PM-2s.

I know the Oppo's have a groove in the connecter that helps them "lock" into the the headphone, but the HD700 connectors don't have this groove.  Does this cause them to unplug easily?

Thanks

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #3,220 of 3,729
In my experience unplugging has not been an issue. However getting the plug all the way in was. I recently bought a Forza cable with HD700 connectors for my PM-2's. I ended up needing to "modify" my cans to get the cable to fit. I haven't had any problems since.

Mar 2, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #3,221 of 3,729
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Eidolic-headphone-connector-diy-oppo-pm-1-oppo-pm-2-sennheiser-h700-2-5-mono-audio-hi-fi
You can see the connector here and they are supposed to be the same
My connectors from Norne work fine

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #3,222 of 3,729
Thanks for the responses.  

I wanted to purchase a balanced Black dragon cable but moon-audio only makes blue and sliver dragons for the Oppos since they already have a bit of rolled off treble.  No plans to make black dragons either.

My ears are extremely sensitive to highs so I did want the black dragon even if it meant sacrificing more air/treble.   They make Black dragon for HD700.  I talked to Drew but he didn't have any Oppo's to test if the BD for HD700 will fit the Oppos

Jorge Luna, may I ask what sort of modification you did.  Any pics you can share.  Thanks.  

Looks like I might just settle for the Blue Dragon or buy the black dragon for HD700 and pay the restocking fee if it doesn't fit. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #3,223 of 3,729
Thanks for the responses.  

I wanted to purchase a balanced Black dragon cable but moon-audio only makes blue and sliver dragons for the Oppos since they already have a bit of rolled off treble.  No plans to make black dragons either.

My ears are extremely sensitive to highs so I did want the black dragon even if it meant sacrificing more air/treble.   They make Black dragon for HD700.  I talked to Drew but he didn't have any Oppo's to test if the BD for HD700 will fit the Oppos

Jorge Luna, may I ask what sort of modification you did.  Any pics you can share.  Thanks.  

Looks like I might just settle for the Blue Dragon or buy the black dragon for HD700 and pay the restocking fee if it doesn't fit. 
I just order the silver dragon V3 for the pm-1,through Moon Audio,for my Astell & Kern AK100II, ,I let you know my impression once I get it.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #3,224 of 3,729
I would go for the Silver Dragon, too.
Am curious to hear your reports on the Oppo's performance with the silver conductors.
IMHO, a good silver cable--done right--is about as good as it gets.
wink.gif

Am debating whether to get a cable upgrade for the K812 or the PM-1 . . .  

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #3,225 of 3,729
Hey guys, I'm going to put some questions here even though I haven't read the last 50 pages (read page 1-150 so far).
As of this moment I use my stock Denon ah-d2000 (fiio e17+e09) which I really like but I want to make a big upgrade soundwise.
I also owned d7100 but sold them off because I like the sound of the d2000 more. 

So, I've been looking into these headphones for a while but before I buy them I have some questions for you guys;
Have any of you guys done a comparison between pm-1 and  d2000, or even the d7100?
The pricing where I live is 1590$ which makes it a bit more expensive than the US which also makes it harder, the LCD-2 is for example 1300$
Money isn't a problem but I'm interested to know if it's an ok, big or huge step up.

I'm also planning to buy something like the HA-1 to use as an AMP if i'm getting the PM-1. 

PS: the looks and choice of material is a big big plus. Therefore the "plastic" pm-2 isn't of any choice :wink:

EDIT: I can also mention that I don't have any store anywhere near me that have the pm-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back