Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #2,882 of 3,729
  Thanks for that.
But: Really? Wow. News to me. All my darn amps have the twin 3 pins. C'mon Oppo, it's just a cable. It's probably a big-markup item.

Each of my last 4 balanced amps have 4 pin XLRs, but the Oppo HA1 is the only one to neglect including 3 pin jacks for legacy phones.   I think that's a nod to Oppo's wider consumer market that's used to SE inputs.

Because the HA1 doesn't have 3 pin inputs, I suspect making those cables for the PM1 is a low priority.  But I could be completely wrong: Oppo is doing pretty good on the fan service these days.

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #2,884 of 3,729
Another review online
Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphones

Enjoy the Music.com - August - Review By Tom Lyle

The Oppo PM-1 is not inexpensive. Many will not be able to afford them – non-audiophiles will surely balk at their price. Even the PM-2 which Oppo will soon to bring to market that will probably sell for around $700 might be a stretch, even for those considering an upgrade from a set of mass-market designer headphones. After hearing the Oppo PM-1 there will surely be audiophiles that will view their $1100 price and consider them a bargain, not only because a speaker system with the sonic credentials of these headphones would cost thousands, perhaps even tens of thousands of dollars, but because the Oppo PM-1 is a bargain when compared to other headphones built with the similar technological features, and especially when compared to other headphones with a comparable level of sonic features. My listening test revealed that the PM-1 is not only a great planar magnetic headphone, but a great headphone, period. Recommended? Are you kidding me?

Update for PM-2 fans - estimated availability is now August, not July.

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #2,886 of 3,729
Well, I act on the merits of my own review/audition--read: "ears".  . . . and I declare that the PM-1 are "pretty darned good"!!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #2,891 of 3,729
For me, the PM-1's treble response is not truncated, but rather comparatively attenuated.  
To my ears the Oppos resolve fine/complex HF detail with a degree of tonal and/or dynamic finesse lacking even in a muscularly-driven HE-6.
The comment about denoting only "slight" improvement(s) when moving from a SmartPhone to a dedicated headphone amplifier with the PM-1 has me scratching my head as well.  I can hear very marked, amplifier-specific differences when removing the Oppos from one amp to another.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2,892 of 3,729
The longer my PM-1 and HA-1 are used, the more the PM-1 treble response seems to become more extended, detailed, and delicate.  

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #2,893 of 3,729
Apparently so, I wonder when they will start  selling them. From what I read in the thread you linked the new pads seem to be miles better when it comes too sound. Might pick up the PM-2 with them in the future. I didn't really like the PM-1 atleast not for the money.

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #2,894 of 3,729
Well I have been using my PM-1 at work most every day for the last few months, and every time I use them, I love em!  Nice Bass slam, good detail, I can wear them all day with no discomfort.

Since they PM-1 have so little sound leakage, I don't bother anyone around me either (Something most other open headphones don't allow for)

Good to hear new pads on on the way so I will have 3 options to customize the sound even more.

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #2,895 of 3,729
I don't usually post as mush as I should, But I enjoying reading everyone post! Just loving my pm-1,with jazz and blues and classis rock,Listening to Sam Smith and Hugh Laurie sounds amazing on these awsome cans! Just wanted to share my joy.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back