Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
May 22, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #2,266 of 3,729

What amplifier was used for the Headfonics® review of the PM-1 versus several known competitors?  This would be a point of reference for me, as my Asus® XONAR® audio card has a 10.7Ω headphone amplifier (viz., the Texas Instruments® TP6120A2) that, according to ASUSTeK Computer Inc., can drive resistive loads down to 16Ω.

The author uses a Burson Conductor SL reading previous article 

In which case, the Burson® Soloist™ may be a satisfactory alternative to the Oppo® HA-1 headphone amplifier; the XONAR® already has an excellent internal DAC and can cascade through either the HA-1 or the Soloist™ via the dual-RCA ("2 Speakers") outputs.

May 22, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #2,267 of 3,729

It's understandable when you hear the two phones against each other. I think the Oppo's roll-off disguises the sound of ambience as blackness. It really is an inky background where sounds come out of the void with beautiful musicality; whereas with the LCD3 you're far more aware of the recording space and low-level background noises in the recording/recording venue.

On being 'more' invisible......I was of course, being ironic!

But, on serious note, it reminds me of a Paul Horn record, recorded in the Taj Mahal, where (apart from an amazing  20 second echo!!) the sound of a distant firework display is heard. And studio in London where you can hear the rumble of the Tube-trains under the building!

May 23, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #2,268 of 3,729
Maybe I have missed it but have there been any comparisons to HE-500? I am looking for a comfortable replacement for those.

May 23, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #2,270 of 3,729
Then you'll want this:

he400i

Thanks for your suggestion. So the PM is not it? I just want a good build quality and not having to send stuff back every 6 months for repair.

May 23, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #2,271 of 3,729
Thanks for your suggestion. So the PM is not it? I just want a good build quality and not having to send stuff back every 6 months for repair.

I can't attest to the build quality but the sound signature you're looking for is the 400i if you're trying to match the he500. 

May 23, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #2,272 of 3,729
Anyone have an occasional hiss or vibration (tizz??) sound coming from their PM-1??? I can't nail this down and am trying to figure out if it is in the recording or something defective with my cans. I hear it on bass heavy tracks.

May 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #2,273 of 3,729
Maybe I have missed it but have there been any comparisons to HE-500? I am looking for a comfortable replacement for those.

I would absolutely recommend the PM-1 for anyone concerned about comfort, especially with the velour pads. They feel great. And they sound comforting like the HE500s (that I have and like, but
now they sit unused while I play my PM-1).

May 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #2,274 of 3,729
  Anyone have an occasional hiss or vibration (tizz??) sound coming from their PM-1??? I can't nail this down and am trying to figure out if it is in the recording or something defective with my cans. I hear it on bass heavy tracks.

Check to see if you have a hair on the diaphragm. 

May 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #2,276 of 3,729

Check to see if you have a hair on the diaphragm. 

eek.gif
evil_smiley.gif
no comments, sounds kinky
biggrin.gif

It's very common actually.  A week long course of penicillin should clear that right up.
wink.gif

May 25, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #2,277 of 3,729

Is it very loud that during the diaphragm's excursion it is hitting the stator?

May 26, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #2,278 of 3,729
Reading over this thread and the impressions thread on the Oppo HA-1, I came to some conclusions about the comparisons.

Once a set of phones hits about $600-800, and an amp and DAC combination hit the $1000 range, many people seem to forget the price and start comparing apples and oranges.  The PM-1 is $1100 and the HA-1 is $1200 (amp and DAC on one chassis).  So the pair is about $2300.  That's a hefty chunk of change for many people.  But others seem to forget price, for reasons I cannot fathom.  

Many of the negative Head-Fi postings and some of the external reviews seem to fall into two camps.  One camp treats the Oppo products as an all-out attack on the state-of-the-art, without regard for price.  A second camp seems to focus on the Oppo products as not good enough to justify the higher price when going from lower-priced equipment.  This is a very strange dichotomy.  The positive postings seem to be far more cognizant of price.  

For example, perhaps because the PM-1 is a planar, it gets compared to planars ranging from $600 (a point at which the Oppo PM-2 will compete) all the way up to almost $2000 for the LCD-3 and three times that for the Abyss.  And then we see comparisons to the dynamic Senn HD800, which goes for $1500-1800, and needs a significant investment in an amp/dac to perform well; and even exotics such as the electrostatic Stax SR009, at $4100, which requires many thousands of dollars in associated electronics.

When you factor in the cost of an amp and DAC, or an all-in-one combination, the inconsistencies in the comparisons become even more pronounced, especially when many of the comparisons to the HA-1 are to front ends that range from 50% to more than 400% higher.

I just don't understand why the Oppo products are prompting such a strange reaction.  Maybe it is because they're seen as a large company that is an "outsider" to the headphone community, although they're far from a huge audio company.  Maybe it is because they've redefined one of the points of diminishing returns for a headphone/amp/DAC setup.  Just not sure...

For me, what matters in a purchase like this is (1) how well the product lets me enjoy music, (2) the quality of the design and materials, and (3) how comfortable they are.  The PM-1, like the other headphones from $600 to $4000 or more, makes compromises among those three factors (of course, all headphones do).  I happen to like Oppo's balancing of these factors very much (and enough to change my avatar). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back