Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
May 6, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #1,771 of 3,729
The headphone stand was supposed to only be sold as a bundle only due to limited quantities of the headphone stand. We have received more headphone stands from our factory so we can begin to sell them separately without any prior purchase of or bundled with a PM-1.

They should be available in a week or two. I corrected the original post, as I was having a massive brain-fart.

May 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #1,772 of 3,729
  The headphone stand was supposed to only be sold as a bundle only due to limited quantities of the headphone stand. We have received more headphone stands from our factory so we can begin to sell them separately without any prior purchase of or bundled with a PM-1.

They should be available in a week or two. I corrected the original post, as I was having a massive brain-fart.

We certainly appreciate your honesty. 
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #1,773 of 3,729
I was actually just thinking that I might want to pick up the headphone stand.  I had it in my cart originally, but decided not to get it.  Now that I've had the PM-1 for a week, I kind of wish I had the stand to put them on!

Thanks HasturTheYellow for the information!

May 6, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,775 of 3,729
It is not lacquered for many reasons, including that lacquered surfaces scratch easier, show dust and fingerprints easier, can be a little distracting when put on a desk or other high visibility area, and the headphone stand will be used by PM-2 and other headphone customers (ie. they do not have the PM-1 product box to compare it to).

In the end, we felt that a more neutral and subtle design was necessary for the headphone stand, resulting in the final design that you can purchase today (or in one to two weeks).

May 6, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #1,776 of 3,729
It is not lacquered for many reasons, including that lacquered surfaces scratch easier, show dust and fingerprints easier, can be a little distracting when put on a desk or other high visibility area, and the headphone stand will be used by PM-2 and other headphone customers (ie. they do not have the PM-1 product box to compare it to).

In the end, we felt that a more neutral and subtle design was necessary for the headphone stand, resulting in the final design that you can purchase today (or in one to two weeks).

Do you know if/ when oppo will be selling through 3rd party sites like amazon?

May 6, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #1,777 of 3,729
Unknown. The PM-1 is a pretty new product for us, so the initial sales are done direct to ensure that we can control the communication to the customer. Feedback is key during the first couple of months to ensure that any manufacturing niggles are identified and fixed, recommendations are implemented, and use applications are understood. Overall, it helps us better understand customer expectations and allows us to better choose whom should sell the headphones. For example, Amazon.com sells our BDP-103 and BDP-103D players, but does not carry the BDP-105 and BDP-105D players. Whereas Crutchfield and MusicDirect is the reverse. Different customer basses, different expectations, different product distribution.

May 6, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #1,778 of 3,729
An old guy (67) comparing the Audeze LCD-x, Sennheiser 800 and the opp. The Audeze and Sennheiser initially just kill,the oppo, BUT the oppo seems not to be great at bass (Audeze) and the treble Sennheiser. Makes me think the oppo may actually reflect the original mix. I listen to early analog mixes of van Morrison with them and the oppo sounds like it has not enhanced the bass or treble. That said i am an old guy just listening to some headphones. I don't have audiologist credentials beyond almost every audiologist I know who only tests to 8khz since apparently it takes some special stuff to test above:)

As far as imaging, only the symth realiser in my opinion can claim much imaging beyond a little beyond in the head.

May 6, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #1,782 of 3,729
  ^^ Thanks again for your candor and sharing the information. Is the pm-2 still on schedule for a June release?

Yes. But like anything we do, it will only be released when it is truly finished and ready for the market.

Thanks for keeping us posted - I plan to audition the PM-2 as a candidate for my Asus® CM1630-06 as upgraded with XONAR® audio, provided that the PM-2 is far enough along in tuning to demo at the July meet at the Doubletree Airport, San Francisco, CA, USA; the almost purely resistive 32Ω load of the PM-1 (and PM-2, which uses the same transducers) is a spoiler in my medium-Z headphone search.  My XONAR® has a Texas Instruments® internal headphone amplifier that can run resistive loads down to 32Ω with no ill effect, although I'd want at least 120Ω for a reactive headphone due to damping issues.

May 7, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #1,783 of 3,729
After a week of delays with customs, which caused me to not get these in time for my trip last week, I finally got my paws on the Oppo today.

Some general thoughts (a more detailed review to come in a week or two):

Packaging:
A very nicely packaged box, with everything neatly placed inside.   Reminds me a little of the packaging that expensive Japanese maki-e fountain pens come in, actually.    That being said, from the description here, I was expecting something different and a lot more exotic.   Personally, I think the LCD2 hard case is a lot more practical but this one sure looks nice.  I am going to put it away and put the cans in a Hippo Case for storage and travel, however.

Fit/Comfort:
Very comfortable!    Not weighing half a kilo helps.    They are on par with the HD800s and the HD650s in comfort, atleast on my head.

Sound:
I like a warm sound with smooth, somewhat rolled-off highs and a prominent midrange.  I like the HD650s and love the LCD2s - and despite all of that, manage to get along with the HD800s for some genres of music.    The Oppos have a very smooth treble, and have the kind of sound that I can listen to for a long time - non-fatiguing, smooth and well-balanced, without too much in the way of artificial coloration to create a short-term impact.   

However, while these are very nice, balanced headphones, they arent a patch on the LCD2s.     The LCD2s have weight and dynamic impact that leave the Oppos behind.     In the first movement of Solti's stirring rendition of Dvorak's 9th, the LCD2s have a slam that made me jump the first time I heard it - the Oppos recreate it well but lack that visceral  body, weight and dynamic impact.

I also feel that the lack of top end energy is affecting timbre and, for want of a better word, "bite" - many instruments that have their primary notes in the midrange have a leading treble edge which gives them a sharp and distinct sound live;   done wrong, this can be reproduced as a bright, fatiguing sound or a more polite rendition.    The LCD2s, to my mind, come the closest to doing this right (and so, surprisingly, do the NAD HP50s) - the PM1s err on the side of politeness.     This isnt a bad thing - they lack a little of the immediacy of the LCD2s, but they do a lot of other things right - weight, comfort, portability and an easy-listening, balanced sound where you can stop obsessing about audioweenie traits and focus on the music.

Summary
I am keeping them.    Purely on audio quality, I probably wouldnt spend $1100 on them - however, I have been looking for a pair of transportable headphones for use in hotels and these fit that bill perfectly, and their weight & comfort is worth a premium for me.    

And for the record, even though my post comes across as lukewarm, that isnt the case.   I like them a lot - they will probably get as much head time as my LCD2s (given my hectic travel life), and I've been looking for a pair of headphones to fit those requirements for a while.    With these, that search has  come to an end.     

+1

May 7, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #1,784 of 3,729
HasturTheYellow, can you share any info about the HA-1? Obviously April has come and gone, is there an ETA?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back