Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
May 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #1,607 of 3,729
Okay, got 'em. Impressions coming out. Only had them plugged in for about 15 minutes. As others have said, the packaging and box are world class...absolutely gorgeous box. The effect is before you even put the hp's on, you are a little intoxicated with the experience. Hope that doesn't sound too hokey. Reminds me of stepping into a brand new BMW. 

Even without any exotic wood appointments, the pm-1 is the nicest looking aesthetically and by design that I've experienced. And I've had a few flagships. The cord is nice. Covered with a nice soft jacket. Maybe a little longer than I'd prefer. 

Sound: I've only listened to about five tracks. So this is a very early impression and it is certainly subject to change. I see why people are saying "a nicer hd650." The tone is certainly similar especially in the mids. Very natural reproduction of vocals. Even right out of the box with no burn in the mids edge out the hd650. The pm-1 trades mid bass of the hd650 for a tilt towards real sub bass. The bass digs deep and with texture. Clearly a league better than the 650, at least. This is the kind of sound the I had always wanted from the hd800. 
ph34r.gif
 Don't hate, it just wasn't for me. I wanted to graduate from the hd650 to something better. 

Now back to listening. 

May 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #1,608 of 3,729
I can understand why Oppo feels they are able to offer the 30 day return policy. I don't think that they'll be getting many of these back. I expected more clamp out of the box until the pads had time to compress and loosen a bit. The clamp is about just right for me. Comfort is excellent. The weight is modest and well distributed. The leather pads are well crafted, super soft and cushion very well. 

Just tried several bassy tracks. Doug McLeod: Black Nights has a wonderfully recorded and rich bass tone playing low and tight throughout this track (thanks to Frank for turning me on to this recording). The pm-1 plays the bass guitar in this recording perfectly. It doesn't take over the recording, just puts it out there in a very natural way...very nice.

Cassandra Wilson's "Almost Twelve" has a 20 second intro of kick drum. The pm-1 reproduced the drum fully and very realistically. Reminded me of listening to this track with the he-4 on speaker taps. 

Last I cued up "Blame it on the Tetons" Modest Mouse. This sound goes very low. The pm-1 was able to dig very deep without any roll off that I could hear. 

This hp is much better than the hd650 even on my highly modified crack. 

May 3, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #1,609 of 3,729
Now to address the treble. This seems to be the most talked about and controversal aspect of this hp. While it's certainly not the ultimate in detail, ie hd800, the pm-1 wonderfully resolving IMO. Nor does the pm-1 create hd800 sound stage.

I just went through several classical recording and am now listening to Chloe Hanslip with the London Symphony Orchestra. The way she plays the violin is truly special. The pm-1 translates the emotion of the violin very well. There is good speed with the pm-1 and decay as well. This hp is able to translate complex passages easily and wonderfully. This is one of the flaws with the hd650 for me when it comes to classical music. There just wasn't enough speed there to sound natural on complex orchestral passages...they just became muddy to me. 

There is more detail and leading edge than the hd650 or lcd2 with the Oppo. The lcd2 has more visceral bass impact than the pm-1. The bass on the pm-1 is closer to the lcd3 with good refinement and textures to notes. 

May 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #1,610 of 3,729
Miscellaneous thoughts:

*the travel case seems cheapish and out of sync with all the other very plush accessories...looks like black denim 

*the size/diameter of the ear pads seems to be what I'll call medium. This could be an issue for someone with larger ears. For reference I could not wear the Sennheiser Momentum  because the pads were just a bit too small. The pads on the pm-1 fit me perfectly. 

*the full swizzle on the cups is nice. I haven't had a pair that did this for a while now. It aids with fit and comfort. It's also nice to be able to sit them down flush on the desk. 

*based on my early impression I'd say that the pm-1 will appeal to someone looking to upgrade from the hd6x0 but doesn't like what the hd800 offers. It might also appeal to those who enjoy the Audeze house sound but find them unpardonably uncomfortable (raises hand). Lastly, the pm-1 would make a good choice for someone who wants a flagship hp without having to make the financial commitment to very pricey amps on the front end. For the record, I'm using the pm-1 with a lyr on Telefunken tubes and an uberfrost. It's a good pairing btw. 

*I'm finding good dynamics at lower listening levels which is important to me because I prefer to listen to music on softer levels. Medium low to medium is plenty for me. Somewhat interestingly, I find that I'm enjoying listening to the pm-1 a little louder than I would usually. Not sure why. It doesn't seem loud when you up the pot, just fuller if that makes any sense. 

May 3, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #1,611 of 3,729
I agree with your comment about the travel case.  Just doesn't seem to match the aesthetics or quality of the headphones.  I plan on traveling with these beauties and I will probably leave that case at home.  Bowers and Wilkins did a wonderful job with the travel case for the P7.  The OPPO's are so great that the travel case is the only thing I can pick apart!  Wow!

May 3, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #1,612 of 3,729
added to the end of the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity PM-1 review 4/29

Jason Liao at OPPO sent me the following detailed description of the PM-2 that you won't find on the OPPO website:
"The PM-2 is basically a more affordable version of the PM-1. With so much effort putting into the development of the PM-1’s planar magnetic driver, we want to make the technology available at a lower price point so more people can try it. The PM-2 and PM-1 are more similar rather than different. The PM-2 will use the same drivers, industrial design and mechanical design of the PM-1. The two will share many parts. It is our goal to make the PM-2 sound the same as (or as close as possible to) the PM-1. There will be some material differences: the PM-2 will use synthetic leather instead of lambskin, and a few metal parts will be replaced with plastic parts. The cost reduction for the PM-2 will mainly come from better yield when we make the parts.  The raw materials have a cost difference (lambskin leather vs synthetic leather, aluminum vs plastic etc.), but the cost difference from the yield has more impact. For example, some of the machined aluminum parts require significant machine shop hours to make, and if there is a slight mistake in any of the steps, the part is wasted. On the other hand, pretty much every piece of plastic parts that comes off the injection mold can pass QC and be used in the PM-2 production. The same goes for selecting the good part of leather to sew into ear pads and head bands, and rejecting many of the finished leather ear pads and head bands due to imperfections in the leather or workmanship.

The packaging of the PM-2 will be simpler, and the standard cable will be made of OFC instead of OCC copper.

Jason Liao

May 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #1,613 of 3,729
Matt,
Any background hiss with the Lyr? Have you tried it with any vintage amps/receivers?

May 3, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #1,614 of 3,729
  added to the end of the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity PM-1 review 4/29

Jason Liao at OPPO sent me the following detailed description of the PM-2 that you won't find on the OPPO website:
"The PM-2 is basically a more affordable version of the PM-1. With so much effort putting into the development of the PM-1’s planar magnetic driver, we want to make the technology available at a lower price point so more people can try it. The PM-2 and PM-1 are more similar rather than different. The PM-2 will use the same drivers, industrial design and mechanical design of the PM-1. The two will share many parts. It is our goal to make the PM-2 sound the same as (or as close as possible to) the PM-1. There will be some material differences: the PM-2 will use synthetic leather instead of lambskin, and a few metal parts will be replaced with plastic parts. The cost reduction for the PM-2 will mainly come from better yield when we make the parts.  The raw materials have a cost difference (lambskin leather vs synthetic leather, aluminum vs plastic etc.), but the cost difference from the yield has more impact. For example, some of the machined aluminum parts require significant machine shop hours to make, and if there is a slight mistake in any of the steps, the part is wasted. On the other hand, pretty much every piece of plastic parts that comes off the injection mold can pass QC and be used in the PM-2 production. The same goes for selecting the good part of leather to sew into ear pads and head bands, and rejecting many of the finished leather ear pads and head bands due to imperfections in the leather or workmanship.

Of course the pm-2 will be very tempting. Same sound quality at a lower price. It may come in at a lower weight because of the plastic parts they'll be substituting. 

Matt,
Any background hiss with the Lyr? Have you tried it with any vintage amps/receivers?

Zero hiss on the lyr. Completely black background. I'll try my old Pioneer soon. The Oppo succeeds at "musical connection" as good or better than anything I've heard. This includes the hd650, lcd2/3/x. 

May 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #1,619 of 3,729
  I agree with your comment about the travel case.  Just doesn't seem to match the aesthetics or quality of the headphones.  I plan on traveling with these beauties and I will probably leave that case at home.  Bowers and Wilkins did a wonderful job with the travel case for the P7.  The OPPO's are so great that the travel case is the only thing I can pick apart!  Wow!

I like the little flap inside to keep the headphones metal from making contact since it is so compact, but at least they have travel case aesthetically pleasing on the same table with the wood case.  What would have worked out better, leather case?
  ^^ Not yet. Can't seem to take them off my head. 
biggrin.gif

Thats funny! 

May 3, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #1,620 of 3,729
Yes, I'm impressed with the pm-1. But what is really impressive is that this is the FIRST hp that this company has made. While I do recognize there were different scenarios, I think about the growing pains and problems with Audeze and Hifiman as they got off the ground. They both ended up making world class hp's but it didn't happen over night. 

Of course there could still be issues with the Oppo offering but it seems very well designed and executed out of the gate. And now, time for some modding!! 
tongue.gif
 haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back