Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #436 of 3,729
  Oppo is usually direct sales, with some online vendors.  Are there actual brick and mortar sales outlets?

I just checked, their 650 area code is for San Mateo, CA which is still far away from NYC.
Address:
2629 Terminal Blvd., Ste B
Mountain View, CA 94043
No other distributers or sales outlets were listed, bummer.

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #437 of 3,729
  Btw, bump on an earlier question - anyone know if someone is doing online pre-orders for the PM-1?   These sound like they'd be the perfect travel headphones and I'd like to pick up a pair.

Assuming OPPO follows their traditional release methodology, the PM-1 will be made available initially by direct sales only then through their retail channel several months later. So if you are looking to pickup the headphones any time soon, then you will want to sign up for their E-Mail List so you can be informed when they are available for purchase.

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #440 of 3,729
  OK  A Teaser

AK240 DSD Modern Cool and the Oppo P1 AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phones look just about the right size to me :wink:. Frank I, you mentioned you switched between pads, same impression as bigshot (no difference in sound)?

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #441 of 3,729
Apr 9, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #442 of 3,729

Phones look just about the right size to me :wink:. Frank I, you mentioned you switched between pads, same impression as bigshot (no difference in sound)?

I noticed small difference between the leather and the velour. I am using the velour again slightly better soundstage and feel like silk on my ears. Excellent quality and a breeze to change. Now I need to convince Jason to make a closed version of this for plane travel.

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #444 of 3,729
Yes! I thought I had a large cranial capacity, but he has me beat!

ksc75smile.gif
 Iam not sure anyone can have you BEAT
L3000.gif

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #445 of 3,729
  The pads are the easiest I ever had in here for swapping. Brilliant design make sit so easy to swap them in and out. Switched amps and using the GSX MK2 today and little less open than my WA5 but using them single ended in the GSX MK2 as it does not need the power. I need to get a 4pin XLR adapter to try it balanced in the GSX MK2 does not need the power though and sounds better but curious if it will open up the soundstage stage more with additional headroom . Have to find one and see if it does. Then velour pads are like silk

Frank,

Have I missed something? In the unboxing video the only cables I saw that Oppo provided were 1/4" single-ended. No balanced cable? If no balanced cable, then a 1/4" to 4pin XLR balanced adaptor won't give you a true balanced connection as the grounds will still be common. It seems strange to me that Oppo wouldn't supply a true balanced cable made with the same cable as the 1/4" cable. (Unless, as I said, I missed it or it wasn't shown in the unboxing video).

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #446 of 3,729
There were no balanced cables in the box. They are only single ended. I would have to have one made for the Oppo and I decided to do it all single ended since thats the way most users will use it anyway. They are good on the MK2 but WA5 really sounds more open but it does on most other headphones as well. 

I guess Oppo figured most users would be using single ended and portable devices so they went strictly with the OCC cable and the portable OFC cable for the players. The only advantage of using the adapter would be to use both sections of the GSX Mk2 but in the end I am pretty satisfied using it single ended for now and for the review.

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #447 of 3,729
It would be nice to get more comments on the PM-1 sound, and some comparisons with other headphones, like Maxx134 provided earlier on.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #448 of 3,729
Guys the reviewers are just getting them. We only got them yesterday. People seem to not understand these are new cans and need to be listened to for a period of time to give some serious impressions and comparisons. I really should not say anything until I do the review and have been giving some initial impression so far. If the bickering and complaining continues I will unsubscribe from the thread too and just review them professionally. It takes me usually 8-12 weeks to finish a review in my publications. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #449 of 3,729
I read your description of how your ears fit into the pads. So just to clarify they fit similar to the HD800/T1, and just kinda float? If this is the case I'm sold and will be done with headphones for a while after this purchase. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #450 of 3,729
I would not say they float like the hd800. I think they are as comfortable as both the T1 and HD800 and been using them all day today and they still on  since this morning. . The topo of the band is similar tio the T1 and  both pads are comfortable but the velour feels luxurious and silky. I like the build quality and the fit. They are not super heavy and lighter than other planers except maybe the new HE560,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back