Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,523 of 3,729
My impression is that the sound comes more from distinctly left and right points than a wider space. Sorry if that was a bad description.

Here's my review/video review, if anyone is interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-1/reviews/11180

The more treble you hear (in relation to bass and mids), the more airy and "grey" the overall sound is... And if there is too much of it, you literally have no black background so you are almost unable to localise specific sounds and separate them from each other because what you get is one big homogenic "grey" mess (from right to center to left). This is an extreme example but it works in my experience - one thing is how expansive soundstage of headphones is in width, and completely different thing is how airy specific headphones are (or how much black background they are able to provide).

I would assume that PM-1 offer significantly less treble extension than LCD-X... And that LCD-X provides wider soundstage.

Thank you for clarifying that! Makes more sense to me now. Lol

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #2,524 of 3,729

Wrong thread?

I did a bunch of mental gymnastics trying to wrap my head around it for the split second before I realized it wasn't posted in the right place.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #2,525 of 3,729
I am very happy with the sound of this headphone... but very UNHAPPY with the cheap, short 3.5 mini cable they included.  Can anyone recommend a better quality, slightly longer cable for portable use and where it can be purchased?

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #2,526 of 3,729
  I am very happy with the sound of this headphone... but very UNHAPPY with the cheap, short 3.5 mini cable they included.  Can anyone recommend a better quality, slightly longer cable for portable use and where it can be purchased?

There are several others that have this same complaint... hopefully Oppo will release a new cable. I would prefer a 4-5' cable myself...

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #2,530 of 3,729
  I really hope that they won't do the same mistake with the PM-2.  The short cable should be 48 inches and not 40 inches.

The intended purpose of the 1.1m 3.5mm cable is to use it exclusively with portable electronics. You do not want a lot of lax cable around when plugging in the PM-1 to a device that is in your pocket, bag, backpack, etc, which is why we went with a 1.1m length cable.

Some people are using it outside of our original intention, such as with a personal computer or table top amplifier, in which the 1.1m cable does not have significant length. For these applications, we are looking into longer 3.5mm cables, but I do not have a release date or pricing for this longer accessory.

So the PM-2 will likely have the same 1.1m 3.5mm cable when it ships in July.

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #2,531 of 3,729
The intended purpose of the 1.1m 3.5mm cable is to use it exclusively with portable electronics. You do not want a lot of lax cable around when plugging in the PM-1 to a device that is in your pocket, bag, backpack, etc, which is why we went with a 1.1m length cable.

Some people are using it outside of our original intention, such as with a personal computer or table top amplifier, in which the 1.1m cable does not have significant length. For these applications, we are looking into longer 3.5mm cables, but I do not have a release date or pricing for this longer accessory.

So the PM-2 will likely have the same 1.1m 3.5mm cable when it ships in July.

:*(

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #2,532 of 3,729
I have he PM-1 for about a month now and love their sound,now I also own the bdp-105,but I prefer listening them through my ipod5 instead of 105,cause to me sounds flat compared to the ipod5 now haven't said that,Will it sound better through HA-1amp instead of directly through the 105? What advantages will the ha-1 have over the 105,Before I take the plunge.Thanks
Mike

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #2,533 of 3,729
The HA-1 is pretty much a more powerful BDP-105, so it is very transparent.

The benefit of the HA-1 is that you can use the front iPod/Phone/Pad to the HA-1, so if you are looking for the sound to be colored by built-in or adjustable EQ and Sound Fields, the audio would sound better than when you are using the BDP-105 as you are using the iPhone for decoding/processing and the HA-1 for amplification. The amount of benefit going from the iPhone to the HA-1 in terms of amplification, however, may be diminishing returns as the PM-1 does not scale dramatically with an increase if amplification.

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #2,534 of 3,729
The HA-1 is pretty much a more powerful BDP-105, so it is very transparent.

The benefit of the HA-1 is that you can use the front iPod/Phone/Pad to the HA-1, so if you are looking for the sound to be colored by built-in or adjustable EQ and Sound Fields, the audio would sound better than when you are using the BDP-105 as you are using the iPhone for decoding/processing and the HA-1 for amplification. The amount of benefit going from the iPhone to the HA-1 in terms of amplification, however, may be diminishing returns as the PM-1 does not scale dramatically with an increase if amplification.
Thanks for the respond, do you happen to own both models,and if so how do ya like it?

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #2,535 of 3,729
I stopped using the BDP-105 as a headphone amplifier as soon as I could gain access to the HA-1. I prefer the BDP-105 as an all around entertainment device, but for a dedicated stereo pre-amplifier or headphone amplifier, the HA-1 is much more powerful, more elegant, and more user friendly than the BD-105.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back