Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #2,491 of 3,729
There are a few notable differences in our impressions, but none are drastic. First, Tyll mentions that imaging isn't as strong on these as on others. While I do agree with that compared to the very best, I find them no slouch in this department. I find they do a great job on imaging, especially in the frontal region, particularly the center image, which is my #1 priority. The PM-1 is, so far, the only planar (magnetic or electrostatic) that has an acceptable center image, and it does a good enough job just off-center as well. Previously only the HD800 was able to do this for me, and while the HD800 still does it better, the PM-1 is in rare company.

I'm in agreement on the imaging, I find these cans to be on par with anything else I own save the HD800s.

^^^Nice.

And I totally agree about these headphone being extremely attractive sonically...but not quite exactly knowing why.

I ended up thinking it had to do with the dynamic focus...for lack of a better word.

I was going back and forth between the PM1s and the LCD-X (only other planar I had)  for a long time. While i felt the LCD-X had slightly more dynamic range the PM1s just sounded better a lot of the time, especially if the music was focused in the midrange.  I think it just handles that area exceptionally and that just overwhelms any deficiencies. 

What mostly attracts me to them is the lively mid-range. 

+1.  Remarkable.

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #2,492 of 3,729
How are you finding the isolation while traveling?

There really is no isolation. While sound leakage isn't too bad, for open cans, you hear just about everything around you with them on.

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #2,494 of 3,729
For me, the PM-1's treble is simply attenuated. 
With the Lehmann BCL I am getting excellent treble resolution [including tonal nuances, subtle timbre queues and dynamic--primarily micro-dynamic--textures/shifts].  The treble seems to be all "there" but just attenuated.
Like others I am also enjoying the PM-1 a lot, even though my customary listening tastes definitely veer toward the "bright and airy" end of the spectrum.
Better sources/amps [like the EVS-modded_Sony BDP-S780 w/BCL or Beta 22] definitely make the PM-1 sound better [e.g. compared with the Denon DVD-1940CI w/headphone out from the Linn Intek or Stock_Sony BDP-S580 w/headphone out from the Denon AVR-1905].  Have not run the Oppos with the Fitz-improved Bada PH-12 [hybrid] yet, either.
Reconfiguring the PM-1's damping to enhance treble and bass.  Maybe.  But at what cost to their already drop-dead-gorgeous midrange? 

Jun 16, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #2,496 of 3,729

Reconfiguring the PM-1's damping to enhance treble and bass.  Maybe.  But at what cost to their already drop-dead-gorgeous midrange? 

This.

I will be very interested to hear what changes a delayed release may bring to the PM-2.  Maybe none...

I doubt there are going to be any "changes" that you insinuate.
Oppo has already said that the drivers are exactly the same for the PM-1 and PM-2, with only construction materials being different.
I would be very surprised to hear any real differences in sound between them. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #2,497 of 3,729
Oppo has already said that the drivers are exactly the same for the PM-1 and PM-2, with only construction materials being different.
I would be very surprised to hear any real differences in sound between them. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

My insinuation is that the designers may be tempted to remedy a perceived weakness of the product (the community's opinion on the high end) and that's the cause of the release delay, but that the product's success so far is a good reason not to make any changes.

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #2,498 of 3,729

My insinuation is that the designers may be tempted to remedy a perceived weakness of the product (the community's opinion on the high end) and that's the cause of the release delay, but that the product's success so far is a good reason not to make any changes.

I seriously doubt it, but I have no definitive proof of that, so I guess I would be speculating as much as you.
I can only speak to what information Oppo has already given to the public, but logically speaking, the short delay is more likely just a manufacturing delay,
but again we'll just have to see once they become available. Perhaps HasturTheYellow can chime in at some point and let us know. :)

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #2,500 of 3,729
One More Viewpoint:

I've had my PM-1s for about 6 weeks now and listened to them intermittently.  I have also been keeping up with all the comments here.  Strangely, it seems like some posters WANT to dislike these right out of the gate.  There was certainly a lot of excitement leading up to their release and some of us were sort of expecting the "one 'phone to rule them all."  Clearly, that's not the case.  But, there is an enormous amount to like in this product.  I was mildly disappointed when I first listened to them: depressed highs/limited extension and slightly less bass impact than I would have expected from a planar design.  On the other hand, the mids are absolutely gorgeous, the sound is beautifully liquid and integrated throughout, and even the weak points are not monstrously objectionable (to me.)  I kept mine as they are an exceptionally versatile product: not ridiculously amp/source dependent, wonderfully comfortable, beautiful to look at an to hold, and so easy to listen to.  While not the supreme reference that it seems so many were expecting, they are nonetheless brilliant headphones - and so flexible in use.  They are small and light enough to carry along, easy enough to drive to use with any source, and accurate enough to please all but the most demanding listener.  I wanted a set of headphones that would allow me to ENJOY my music anywhere, and the PM-1s fit the bill to a T. 

My other "good" headphones are ZMF/Fostex T50RPs and Koss ESP-950s.  The Oppos are interestingly quite similar to the ZMF/Fostex phones in sonic signature, though much nicer to use.  The ESPs are a whole different kettle of fish - with largely different strengths and weaknesses.  I don't intend to get rid of either of those, but neither offers the same overall combination of virtues that the Oppos deliver.

For those who think they are simply too pricey for the performance envelope, wait until the version 2 comes out.   I briefly considered returning mine, but overall, I found them to be well worth the cost. They are difficult not to like, unless you really put your mind to it!

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #2,501 of 3,729
  Or maybe the PM1 is selling so well they don't feel the need to release the PM2 yet?

I suspect its like any vendor, make sure you have adequate product supply in the pipeline to meet demand, along with lots of time taken to address any potential performance, reliability and longevity issue before release.    At least the product hasn't disappeared from their web site like a certain competitors no show did. 
beyersmile.png

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #2,502 of 3,729
I suspect its like any vendor, make sure you have adequate product supply in the pipeline to meet demand, along with lots of time taken to address any potential [COLOR=474747]performance, reliability and longevity issue before release.    At least the product hasn't disappeared from their web site like a certain competitors no show did. [/COLOR]:beyersmile:

Really taking stabs and digs at another company?

Still, funnily enough, most of those who compared the two headphones found that company's competing headphone sonically superior to the PM-1...
Build quality goes to the PM1 obviously though.
Just saying :wink:

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #2,503 of 3,729
Hay anyone compared these to the HE-500? Seems like they have very similar sound signatures from what I gathered from impressions.

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #2,504 of 3,729
Hay anyone compared these to the HE-500? Seems like they have very similar sound signatures from what I gathered from impressions.

I understand that it's not a popular type of advices around here... But consider comparing graphs of both headphones using InnerFidelity's data sheets, it could help you (along with written impressions from people).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back