Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #2,401 of 3,729
For me I'm in the market of buying a new pm. Stuck between LCD-2.2 w/ fazor, pm-1 and he-560. So that price range... Maybe the alpha dogs as well

I have the HE-500s and find them to be a distant third to the LCD2s and PM1s. Dunno how the HE560s fare, though.

Between the PM1 and the LCD2, it isn't a contest, as far as sound goes. The LCD2 are a noticeably better headphone. Better bass, better dynamics, better attack/decay/timbral richness.

If portability/travel and easy-to-drive are included, the PM1s shine. I find in happy to take the small hit in SQ for these other factors. In fact, the past 2 weeks I have been travelling with a AK100/Quickstep/PM1 rig and enjoying myself. At home, the PM1s never get any headtime, though.

Also, comfort may be an issue. The PM1s are comfier for sure, although I can handle the LcD2s for a few hours easily. Living as I do in the tropics, I find that the biggest fit issue for me is my ears getting warm from being enclosed, and all cans cause this.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #2,402 of 3,729
Started with the leather pads for the first few hours, decent comfort, no real heat build up, a little snug around my ears. Just swapped to the velour and immediately found a comfort improvement (but has a slight itch sensation that I would probably get used to quickly), they also feel a tiny bit larger inside giving my ears just enough to not touch anywhere. Sound seems better with velour as well, but I'll need more time to compare. Kudos to Oppo for the easy swap pads, it doesn't get any easier. Overall comfort is better than expected, especially lighter clamp than expected, while still feeling very secure. The cord is a little odd in it's side by side design, but the jacket material is soft and slick and not prone to tangling. Shorter version is all I would need. High marks all around for physical aspects. Comments about sound after more time.

Thank you for your write up so far. It's nice to see someone putting effort into talking about the headphones instead of others here that are just arguing still. I'm looking forward to more of your thoughts. For me I'm in the market of buying a new pm. Stuck between LCD-2.2 w/ fazor, pm-1 and he-560. So that price range... Maybe the alpha dogs as well

What will work for you depends on few things. If you need closed headphones with great isolation than its Alpha Dogs. If you want open headphones with darker no sparkle treble than PM-1 is for you but if you want more detailed treble than LCD is for you. But PM-1 have best comfort among them

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #2,404 of 3,729
Funny.  My impression is that the PM-1's treble is arguably more vibrant, detailed and certainly more nuanced than the LCD 2.2's.  To me, the LCD 2.2 truly have a high frequency "roll-off".  The PM-1 extend further and reveal more detail, I believe, but may be a touch reticent [compared with other treble-prominent headphones].  More treble emphasis with the lambskin pads versus the velour pads, IMHE.

Have been amping the Oppos with the Lehmann BCL [w/gain set at zero], and the PM-1 are really surprising me in a very unexpectedly positive way.

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #2,406 of 3,729
  Sorry, just observe too many build/pad issues comparing threads to think the HE-560 compared to the PM-1 is IMHO a good recommendation even your audio response preferences.  I find the PM-1 not tiring, and quite useful for a lot of various setups.

What's a little build/pad issue for a pre-order headphone when it brings so much on the table in terms of sound quality already?

The PM1 can't compete here, even with its "shiny metal ass".

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #2,407 of 3,729
  What's a little build/pad issue for a pre-order headphone when it brings so much on the table in terms of sound quality already?

The PM1 can't compete here, even with its "shiny metal ass".

I have both the PM1 and HE-560 with me... In my opinion the PM-1 competes just fine... as a matter of a fact, I prefer listening to it.

Jun 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #2,410 of 3,729
      I just checked your public profile and I can see why you are very Hifiman oriented.   How can your comment/s be taken seriously.   Please.

Because I'm not the only one who say that?
I had a chance to listen to it (and a modded version, supposedely improving the tonal balance. That was not my cup of tea either) in a mini-meet.

The fact that I like Hifiman headphones does not make my comment any less valid. I'm not a fanboy, I just happen to like their headphone for the great bang for the buck they provide.
I owned the LCD-X and did not like it. I said so. I hated the HE-400. I said so. I like the HD-600 and HD-650, too, even though their sound signature is a good departure from Hifiman's airy sound and not my preference (on paper).

I just could not connect with the PM1. Given its price point, it's a shame that I could not.

Jun 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #2,411 of 3,729
  Because I'm not the only one who say that?
I had a chance to listen to it (and a modded version, supposedely improving the tonal balance. That was not my cup of tea either) in a mini-meet.

The fact that I like Hifiman headphones does not make my comment any less valid. I'm not a fanboy, I just happen to like their headphone for the great bang for the buck they provide.
I owned the LCD-X and did not like it. I said so. I hated the HE-400. I said so. I like the HD-600 and HD-650, too, even though their sound signature is a good departure from Hifiman's airy sound and not my preference (on paper).

I just could not connect with the PM1. Given its price point, it's a shame that I could not.

That's all fine that you couldn't connect with the PM-1 given your particular preferences.  But to make a "The PM1 can't compete here, even with its "shiny metal ass"." implies more of a vendor specific bias even if it was unintentional.   My interpretation of that comment is that sounds more like the PM-1 are not good enough to be considered here in these forums IMHO.    I beg to differ, they are not the best of the best, but they are still a great choice if the sound signature is to your liking, and you enjoy the efficiency and form factor.  

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #2,412 of 3,729
I have owned--and appreciated--the HE-500, HE-5LE and HE-6 [in order of least-liked to most-liked].  That aside, I am developing a preference for the PM-1, given their sheer, consistent listenability, for example.  For their ease, nuance and low-level detail "gleam", too.  : )
[Yes.  Truth be told.  I also preferred my Martin Logan Mikros 90 to the HE-6.]

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #2,414 of 3,729
I read your post and thought that the hp was give a 6 out of 10. 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back