Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Apr 27, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #1,786 of 2,563
  Where were you guys a month ago? Not keeping us updated for sure! :/

NDA. I was under the same NDA as the beta testers, so it was not possible to talk about the PM-1 in any detail until the Press Release which officially announced the PM-1.

Quote:

You work for Oppo but you are not an official Oppo spokeperson?

As for an Official OPPO presence communicating direct with the forum like you have seen with other manufacturers giving status updates and the like, this is not something that we have ever done, and in forums for our primary business, it is usually seen as a negative when a manufacturer is directly interfacing with the public, not a positive. In retrospect, it was a misjudgement of the Head-FI community, and, if possible, I want to "make up" for some of that lost time and opportunity on a personal level.

I realize that these discussions are incredibly off topic, so it is it possible that we can move these conversations to my wall or through PM?

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #1,788 of 2,563
To HasturTheYellow:
Thank you for creating an account and posting to the forums concerning the PM-1. Your posts have been informative and helpful in my decision to purchase the PM-1, and in my evaluation of the product. I hope you will continue to post and not be deterred in any way by those who appear to have some kind of unexplained problem with your presence. I am looking forward to Oppo's release of the HA-1 and the PM-2, and hope that Oppo will continue to develop products in this market.

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #1,789 of 2,563
Claritas: This isn't the place for it. Regardless, as he works for a sponsor, he can post anything he wants about his company or products anywhere and how he likes. He and his company have to take responsibility for anything that comes from that. It is not unusual for a company to become a sponsor then have their members start posting. Many companies are actually reluctant to post or have staff members post on the forum.

Something else I should point out: Every member, whether they work for a company or not, should be treated with equal respect. 

Back on topic please.

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #1,790 of 2,563
  Claritas: This isn't the place for it. Regardless, as he works for a sponsor, he can post anything he wants about his company or products anywhere and how he likes. He and his company have to take responsibility for anything that comes from that. It is not unusual for a company to become a sponsor then have their members start posting. Many companies are actually reluctant to post or have staff members post on the forum.

Something else I should point out: Every member, whether they work for a company or not, should be treated with equal respect. 

Back on topic please.

+1

I wish there were some regulation however, that required MOT and Sponsor accounts to fill out at least some portion of the profile before posting.

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #1,792 of 2,563

Back on topic please.

+1

I wish there were some regulation however, that required MOT and Sponsor accounts to fill out at least some portion of the profile before posting.

From the Terms of Service:

No Members of the Trade can use his/her business name, product name, brand name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number or URL as part of his/her Head-Fi username. All Members of the Trade must contact the forum administrator at jude@head-fi.org to notify him of an interest in posting before making any posts. If a forum member who was not previously a Member of the Trade becomes a Member of the Trade, he must notify the forum administrator of the change in status. After notification of the "Member of the Trade" status, the forum administrator will then add the appropriate tag (Audio Dealer, Manufacturer, Distributor, etc.) to the appropriate profile(s).

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #1,793 of 2,563
  To HasturTheYellow:
Thank you for creating an account and posting to the forums concerning the PM-1. Your posts have been informative and helpful in my decision to purchase the PM-1, and in my evaluation of the product. I hope you will continue to post and not be deterred in any way by those who appear to have some kind of unexplained problem with your presence. I am looking forward to Oppo's release of the HA-1 and the PM-2, and hope that Oppo will continue to develop products in this market.

This X2.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #1,794 of 2,563
   The two pad and bette rcable is apprreciated on the PM-1 as they need no aftermarket cable. Oppo did their homework on the cable and  sound stellar with the headphone.  

How did you come to this conclusion exactly? 

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #1,795 of 2,563
  How did you come to this conclusion exactly? 

I'm reasonably sure based on the quality of supplied cables with PM-1 most would not bother to substitute cables with aftermarket.  IMHO Oppo probably researched what would suitable, instead of kitting the PM-1 with inferior cables.  Yes the 1 m detachable OFC cable (3.5 mm) is a bit short IMHO, but OK for what it was intended. 

One thing I notice is the cables shown with my kit vs above image is they come in both black or silver, probably to match which HA-1 color you have.  Here in the states, the HA-1, like most Oppo gear is black, while in the UK its silver.

If you look the UK demo table you can see both black (close) and silver HA-1's and BDP-105D's (far end).  

Apr 28, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #1,796 of 2,563
Apr 28, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #1,797 of 2,563
  I'm reasonably sure based on the quality of supplied cables with PM-1 most would not bother to substitute cables with aftermarket.  IMHO Oppo probably researched what would suitable, instead of kitting the PM-1 with inferior cables.  

Out of curiosity, what makes you think Oppo did this, and not, say Audeze or Sennheiser or whoever?    

I dont find it hard to believe that Oppo did it, btw - I just find it hard to believe that what they have done is something special, and that companies designing $1500-2000 headphones somehow ignore this or deliberately use cheaper cables.

Heck, for that matter, i'd love to hear from *ANY* cable manufacturer what design principles & performance target figures they use to make suitable cables.

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #1,798 of 2,563
HifiAudio: Thanks for the feedback...much appreciated. 

I typically don't take an opinion on cables, for a few reasons, so whenever I see someone talking about how a particular headphone sounds "stellar" with a particular cable, I'm interested in their methodology. 

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #1,799 of 2,563
I ordered my PM-1 within the first ten minutes of it going online and received it quick.
No one has to sell me anything its my choice.
I pretty much had them long enough to settle on my own opinions.

My opinion is I need more cans lol.
:p
Edit: my way of saying no comment until I get two more items...

Ok if you wanna know.
My last testing is to see if I can elevate performance with increased power and I mean Headroom and current. .

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #1,800 of 2,563
  Some beta testers were given units for free. We don't know who they all are.

Yes they/we were..surprised the heck out of me. 

Currently out on loan to Doc B at Bottlhead and then to a HF member in Seattle.

I am missing it for sure. 

My dBel84 modded Yamaha HP-1s are making do for now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back