Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Apr 26, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #1,756 of 2,563
Sweet! I guess I can cross it off my list and move on to something else.
:p

Nooooooooowwwaaaahh! Don't cross off! lol

I listen to really good music. Gear is just a means to an end. If it delivers the sound quality I want... flat response throughout the core frequencies, no audible distortion, good dynamics, etc... I'm happy. I have that with my speaker rig. Now that I have the Oppo cans, I have it in headphones too. All that's left after that is to listen to music.

Speaker rigs don't apply hear..

I have been thru astounding home rigs myself as my father was a hifi junkie and that is old news to me.
Headphones rule here(!) lol
Wait until you start collecting cans :)
:p

Maybe you should try another headphone? The PM-1 was not designed for your tastes if you have to spoil it with EQ......friggin' digital world :p
Haha yeah but I have a can that actually sounds remarkably similar in signature ..
My Audio Technica esw11 (!)
And I wont be giving up those puppies any time soon!
:)

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,757 of 2,563

Maybe you should try another headphone? The PM-1 was not designed for your tastes if you have to spoil it with EQ......friggin' digital world
tongue.gif

Ha! "Spoil" it!

It's better to collect a pile of different sounding headphones when EQ can make one set sound exactly the way you want? And you think the digital world is crazy!

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,758 of 2,563
No...just you.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,759 of 2,563
It's better to collect a pile of different sounding headphones when EQ can make one set sound exactly the way you want?
And you think the digital world is crazy!

Maybe...
I am waiting for your collection pile to begin lol.

No...just you.

Haha not nice..
Actually bigshot does have a point. I attained a sweet curve for smoothing my hd800 trebles for long listening sessions.

I still am a believer that original can signatures are more natural than EQ,
yet EQ today has come a long way.
Also physically modding a can is similar to EQ.

Having different cans are like having different prescription glasses...
You need more than one, for seeing different things. .

One thing I noticed,
Is that you can EQ to adjust what is already there in a can,
But you cannot EQ to bring out what is not there to begin with. .
That is to say, if there are missing elements the can does not produce to begin with.
Elements like realism, depth, stage both vertical and horizontal, timbre, space, separation, speed, air, and so on..

So bottom line is whether the can has all the potential or not.

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #1,760 of 2,563
I am still keeping a faint hope that there's a headphone that does it all for me off the box without any EQ or tweaks...
I shall find out soon :popcorn:

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #1,761 of 2,563
I am still keeping a faint hope that there's a headphone that does it all for me off the box without any EQ or tweaks...
I shall find out soon
popcorn.gif

Does this mean that you will purchase the PM-1 ? :wink:

Let us know what you think of your HE-560 when you will receive them but please stop trying to derail this thread..

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #1,762 of 2,563

Does this mean that you will purchase the PM-1 ? :wink:

Let us know what you think of your HE-560 when you will receive them but please stop trying to derail this thread..

The PM-1 are near perfect for me. If they have a more open sound while maintaining the mids/lows then I would be ecstatic. I don't know if I'll ever get the bass response I want with the airy sound of the Ad900 though.

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #1,764 of 2,563
I shall find out soon :popcorn:
The PM-1 could be a contender, according to the reviews. Now the question is: are you willing to build a setup to match their sound (probably something brighter than what you have).
It's gonna be a lot of trial and error (and a lot of money), though.
Funny, the best sound I heard came from the HE-5LE and SA-31, not the HE-6 or EF-6 I own too... It's more a matter of taste at this point...

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #1,765 of 2,563
So bottom line is whether the can has all the potential or not.

The way to tell if a headphone has potential is if it can produce any frequency loud without distortion. You can always EQ subtractively if the headphone can produce all the frequencies loud. The PM-1s are within a few dB of my ideal flat response, so I don't need to EQ them.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #1,766 of 2,563
The PM-1 could be a contender, according to the reviews. Now the question is: are you willing to build a setup to match their sound (probably something brighter than what you have).
It's gonna be a lot of trial and error (and a lot of money), though.
Funny, the best sound I heard came from the HE-5LE and SA-31, not the HE-6 or EF-6 I own too... It's more a matter of taste at this point...

I am tinking 560 first PM2 maybe later. I am not paying the extra for leather and metal ;D
I wanna see the EU pricing to. So far the PM-1 really seems to be 1099£/1399€... WTH?!

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #1,769 of 2,563
No, that's ridiculous...
It should have been 1099€ at worst...
The PM2 would then be 699£ = 849€ = 1099$
PM1=/= PM2
That is NOT how the pricing should be...
$=€ has been the standardized tax including pricing... This is a ripoff IMO... They better fix it.

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #1,770 of 2,563
Everything is worth only what people are willing to pay.

Unfortunately, I'm not willing to pay nearly what legions of people are willing to pay for tickets to sports events (I'll just watch it on TV, thank you very much). During the season before the the Dallas Stars won the Stanley Cup, you could actually walk up to the box office at Reunion Arena, last minute, and buy really nice seats for a game with the Toronto Mapleleafs at a tiny fraction of what those same seats would cost two years later and now (at the new arena). A whole bunch of Cowboys fans suddenly became hockey experts overnight when Dallas claimed the Stanley Cup. Say goodbye to those cheap seats.  

But I'm willing to pay a lot more than what the average person is willing to pay for a fine camera lens (no cheap lenses for me, thank you very much).

In the end, smart sellers will make adjustments to respond to the majority, but I hate it when I'm the oddball with the tighter than average fist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back