Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Nov 6, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #601 of 2,563

DefQon is correct, they are semi-open. Turned up, my wife can hear what I'm hearing...but not Stax SR-009 open naturally.

Edit: I forgot to add a few more misc notes :-

1) little isolation
2) can drive off my iPhone 4S (50% vol for me and I kinda listen semi-loud-ish)

I asked the distributor but the pricing is still unknown at the moment.

Tell us more!

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #602 of 2,563
  Tell us more!

What would you like to know? It's 406g without the cables (feels light next to the XC's, but the TH-900s are at 380g). The clamping is a little tight on the lower jaw for this pair (I don't remember any tight clamping on Jude's prototype) but the pads are really comfortable & soft.

I  can't comment on the sound yet as I've only just tried it for like 10 mins and not to mention the current tuning is still prototype.

Here's another pix :-

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #603 of 2,563
Not sure what to make of a photo that has the LCD XC and the Fostex TH 900 sitting next to the Oppo.  We can only hope that the Oppo is in the same league. 
tongue_smile.gif

After so many years of great success in the blue ray player market, we have to assume that Oppo has the where-with-all to gather together some smart people to come up with a headphone that could be a contender. Consider what even modifiers have come up with over the years. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #605 of 2,563
  I  can't comment on the sound yet as I've only just tried it for like 10 mins and not to mention the current tuning is still prototype.

I understand that the sound of the prototype is not 100% representative of the final product but do you think that they have the potential to be competitve versus the LCD-2 and the HE-500 ? Or maybe even with the LCD-3 ?

Thanks

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #606 of 2,563

What would you like to know?

I may have missed it, it may be buried in the thread somewhere, but can anyone refresh me on the impedance/sensitivity numbers for the Oppo?

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #607 of 2,563

I understand that the sound of the prototype is not 100% representative of the final product but do you think that they have the potential to be competitve versus the LCD-2 and the HE-500 ? Or maybe even with the LCD-3 ?

Thanks

Right now (based on memory), I'm not hearing the difference Jude mentioned on post #557 and I'm in the process of clarifying with the distributor which version he's loaned me. That difference could influence the answer to your question above.

I may have missed it, it may be buried in the thread somewhere, but can anyone refresh me on the impedance/sensitivity numbers for the Oppo?

I don't believe any of that info has been released yet.

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #608 of 2,563

DefQon is correct, they are semi-open. Turned up, my wife can hear what I'm hearing...but not Stax SR-009 open naturally.

Edit: I forgot to add a few more misc notes :-

1) little isolation
2) can drive off my iPhone 4S (50% vol for me and I kinda listen semi-loud-ish)

I asked the distributor but the pricing is still unknown at the moment.

Cool. Thanks for the confirmation and great photo!

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #610 of 2,563

Right now (based on memory), I'm not hearing the difference Jude mentioned on post #557 and I'm in the process of clarifying with the distributor which version he's loaned me. That difference could influence the answer to your question above.

Turns out that the version I have is the same as Jude's which I've already heard. When I return these pair back to the distributor, I'll see if I can take a listen to the updated version in their office or show room (so that means they have a few different iterations of the PM1 with them!).

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #611 of 2,563
Jude, while I'm not an active member here, and have no intention of becoming one, I have to commend you on the many interesting and fun video reviews, especially of the recent Shure models, earlier with Audeze, and the subject OPPO cans. I know that many on this post will disagree with you over your assessments. I don't. You are correct in saying that many cans and in-ears are boosted (and I say, because of that are preferred by those with hearing issues.) The problem with reviewing any kind of hi fi is the lack of context. Not a lack of recordings or variety in recordings. Not for lack of opinions - as in everyone has a belly button. The context is familiarity with live sound and the real sound of instruments and voices in various rooms.

Without touting my horns, I go back with headphones a long way, even to having had dinners with the then head of Sennheiser in the late sixties, Horst Ankermann; having built several tube ESL headphone amps with Julius Futterman in his lab on West 72nd Street in NY City in the eighties, and having worked as a pro in several areas of the industry, as well as 15 years as a TAS reviewer. I attend live concerts as a guest of an unnamed-here world class music school regularly.

As for the comment from one of your posters to which this is a reply, I'm afraid I have to agree with his overall assessment quoted below; and lightening up about it is fine if one needed to continue a narrative that is not constructive. Unfortunately, continuing the narrative is not the solution.  HeadFi, instead of having become a well of wisdom, progress, useful knowledge and integrity, has become a dick-measuring contest for half deaf teens whose eardrums have been blown out by years of high volume, distorted treble and bass boosted listening. Yet they bloviate about everything that is not so and get insulted by everything that is....especially knowledge.

Your reader wrote what is so: "This whole forum has become a cesspool of misinformation and speculation with practically no real news or technical discussion to be found.

So time consuming to dig through all the garbage to find any worthwhile information on upcoming products."

You know what I say Jude? Your critic is half wrong. There is news here. Otherwise he is on target.

If a person tells you you're drunk, just ignore him. If a second person tells you you're drunk, maybe, just maybe, pay some attention. And if a third person tells you you're drunk, maybe it's time to lay down...or at least lay low. The reader who made the comment above has something useful to say and maybe, just maybe, it's worthy of a listen and even more worthy of website reform.

Again, thanks for all the good work you're doing and perhaps you can encourage your readers to think ahead of the box wrapped around their heads.

I had made a copy of this post just in case it doesn't reach you. I'll get it to you directly.

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #613 of 2,563
  Jude, while I'm not an active member here, and have no intention of becoming one, I have to commend you on the many interesting and fun video reviews, especially of the recent Shure models, earlier with Audeze, and the subject OPPO cans. I know that many on this post will disagree with you over your assessments. I don't. You are correct in saying that many cans and in-ears are boosted (and I say, because of that are preferred by those with hearing issues.) The problem with reviewing any kind of hi fi is the lack of context. Not a lack of recordings or variety in recordings. Not for lack of opinions - as in everyone has a belly button. The context is familiarity with live sound and the real sound of instruments and voices in various rooms.

Without touting my horns, I go back with headphones a long way, even to having had dinners with the then head of Sennheiser in the late sixties, Horst Ankermann; having built several tube ESL headphone amps with Julius Futterman in his lab on West 72nd Street in NY City in the eighties, and having worked as a pro in several areas of the industry, as well as 15 years as a TAS reviewer. I attend live concerts as a guest of an unnamed-here world class music school regularly.

As for the comment from one of your posters to which this is a reply, I'm afraid I have to agree with his overall assessment quoted below; and lightening up about it is fine if one needed to continue a narrative that is not constructive. Unfortunately, continuing the narrative is not the solution.  HeadFi, instead of having become a well of wisdom, progress, useful knowledge and integrity, has become a dick-measuring contest for half deaf teens whose eardrums have been blown out by years of high volume, distorted treble and bass boosted listening. Yet they bloviate about everything that is not so and get insulted by everything that is....especially knowledge.

Your reader wrote what is so: "This whole forum has become a cesspool of misinformation and speculation with practically no real news or technical discussion to be found.

So time consuming to dig through all the garbage to find any worthwhile information on upcoming products."

You know what I say Jude? Your critic is half wrong. There is news here. Otherwise he is on target.

If a person tells you you're drunk, just ignore him. If a second person tells you you're drunk, maybe, just maybe, pay some attention. And if a third person tells you you're drunk, maybe it's time to lay down...or at least lay low. The reader who made the comment above has something useful to say and maybe, just maybe, it's worthy of a listen and even more worthy of website reform.

Again, thanks for all the good work you're doing and perhaps you can encourage your readers to think ahead of the box wrapped around their heads.

I had made a copy of this post just in case it doesn't reach you. I'll get it to you directly.

rolleyes.gif

What exactly does this have to do with the Oppo phones? lol

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #615 of 2,563

I was just thinking to myself--head-fi really needs more rambling posts by pompous douchebags.

Dude, I just spit soda all over my headphones lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back