Oppo HA-2 SE
Jun 8, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #200 of 369
Hey everybody!
Question. I love my Oppo HA 2 SE amp/dac. A few months ago, I purchased a Schiit Valhalla 2 amp. I absolutely love it, so now I am using the Oppo as my DAC. My question is, does anyone else use this combo, but real question is: Is it worth getting the Bifrost Multibit DAC? I just don't know if my Oppo sounds better or worse, or about the same? I'm willing to sell my Oppo as it seems I never take it anywhere and would prefer the Schiit "stack" since I use it in my home office for listening to my music collections.
Any thoughts if it's worth the upgrade?

Thanks!
David

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #201 of 369
Schitt sells some great Schitt and allthough you would get a great DAC and stack you probaly will end up missing your Oppo. I sold my first iteration and bought the SE a few months back and love it. Me personally would buy the Schitt DAC and also keep the Oppo. This hobby is about spending and collecting.

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #203 of 369
Thanks Howdy. Although, I may still sell the Oppo as it's being used as a desktop DAC. I could use the money towards the Bifrost purchase or some new cans. I really wish I knew if I could tell the difference between the Oppo and the Bifrost Multibit, Or, if I would hear No difference. The HA2 SE has a great DAC chip in it, but seriously I doubt I'll be listening to a 32 bit 384 file anytime in the near future.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #204 of 369
Thanks Howdy. Although, I may still sell the Oppo as it's being used as a desktop DAC. I could use the money towards the Bifrost purchase or some new cans. I really wish I knew if I could tell the difference between the Oppo and the Bifrost Multibit, Or, if I would here No difference. The HA2 SE has a great DAC chip in it, but seriously I doubt I'll be listening to a 32 bit 384 file anytime in the near future.

The Bifrost Multibit is definitely a better DAC than the HA-2 or HA-2 SE. But if you're considering a desktop DAC at the $600 range, then I would suggest that you opt for the Denafrips Ares. I have done direct comparisons of the two DACs and the Ares is better.

Jun 8, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #205 of 369
The Bifrost Multibit is definitely a better DAC than the HA-2 or HA-2 SE. But if you're considering a desktop DAC at the $600 range, then I would suggest that you opt for the Denafrips Ares. I have done direct comparisons of the two DACs and the Ares is better.
Wow, ok. So, just looked this up. Do you know of any US distributors? Their website states one sole distributor out of Singapore. Do you happen to own this one? The build seems really really nice, but I've been burned a few times buying directly from Singapore, Seoul, and Hong Kong. If you don't mind let me ask you this:
Schiit,California company with a real US address and 15 day return policy, and five year warranty. Denefrips out of Singapore, other side of world. Other unknown. The audio quality would have to be extremely far surperior to justify the unknowns to me. I'm open to it, but just not familiar. Thoughts?
Thanks!

Jun 9, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #206 of 369
Wow, ok. So, just looked this up. Do you know of any US distributors? Their website states one sole distributor out of Singapore. Do you happen to own this one? The build seems really really nice, but I've been burned a few times buying directly from Singapore, Seoul, and Hong Kong. If you don't mind let me ask you this:
Schiit,California company with a real US address and 15 day return policy, and five year warranty. Denefrips out of Singapore, other side of world. Other unknown. The audio quality would have to be extremely far surperior to justify the unknowns to me. I'm open to it, but just not familiar. Thoughts?
Thanks!

In terms of improvement, this is not a slight upgrade from the Bifrost. It really is a large improvement. To give you an idea with Schiit products, you'll need to get up to the Yggdrasil to match the quality of the Ares. I know it sounds like lofty claims given the price, but I've done extensive testing of this unit.

As for where to get it, I don't personally own it, but I am seriously considering adding it to my collection for a secondary setup. I do personally know of someone who has bought a unit and did not have any issues with the purchase or subsequent support from the vendor. He bought it from here.

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #207 of 369
I have occasional dropouts whether on my iphones 6 or 6S, whether on music stored in the phones or iTunes or Tidal, whether using the Oppo supplied Lightning USB cable or two of my own (Amazon and unknown brand). When it happens, I pause the music and rewind a few seconds and the dropouts disappear:frowning2:

Has anyone had this issue? And would a so-called quality Lightning USB cable (eg Audioquest) help?

Thanks.

Jul 27, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #208 of 369
I have occasional dropouts whether on my iphones 6 or 6S, whether on music stored in the phones or iTunes or Tidal, whether using the Oppo supplied Lightning USB cable or two of my own (Amazon and unknown brand). When it happens, I pause the music and rewind a few seconds and the dropouts disappear:frowning2:

Has anyone had this issue? And would a so-called quality Lightning USB cable (eg Audioquest) help?

Thanks.

I've been experiencing the same thing with iPod Touch + Oppo combo. At first I thought the culprit was the Onkyo HF Player app that I'm using. But I do not experience any dropout if I listen to the iPod directly.

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #209 of 369
This issue has been discussed ad nauseum on the main Oppo Ha 2 topic on this forum https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/o...scussion-thread.755879/page-300#post-13614886. basically this issue is related to itunes/apple and its handing of digital out via the lightening port. There are claims that this may be resolved by ios10.3.3, but given this is only available as a beta, I wouldn't be holding my breath...

regard,

Giles

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #210 of 369
This issue has been discussed ad nauseum on the main Oppo Ha 2 topic on this forum https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/o...scussion-thread.755879/page-300#post-13614886. basically this issue is related to itunes/apple and its handing of digital out via the lightening port. There are claims that this may be resolved by ios10.3.3, but given this is only available as a beta, I wouldn't be holding my breath...

Yep, I'd like to confirm that today I've finally upgraded iOS to 10.3.3 and the situation has gotten much, much better! Now it's possible to use the HA2 SE, after such a long break. It may sometimes disconnect, but not so often as before, from what I currently see. It also sometimes loses connection for a microsecond, but plays further on. It has stopped a track for me maybe once or twice, but it was unnecessary to disconnect or turn off the device - I only needed to push "play" again. So I highly recommend upgrading to 10.3.3.

PS And I am afraid of upgrading to 10.3.4 when it will eventually come out... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back