Oppo HA-2 SE
Mar 19, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #168 of 369
Has anyone tried Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600Ω or Fostex T50RP on the Oppo HA-2SE?

I currently have an xDuoo XD-05 with a Burson V5i and it is having huge driver problems with Windows 10 AE.  Never had any issues till now, but it is so bad now that I put it up for sale after a week of trying to "fix" the issues.

What I liked the most about the XD-05 is that it could produce 500 mW at 32Ω and has a line out for running my larger desktop amps.  The Burson V5i upgrade took it over the top until the driver issues have now made it a worthless to me.  I haven't even had it for six months yet and it is done 
mad.gif

I almost pulled the trigger on a Chord Mojo till I noticed it doesn't have line out either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #169 of 369
Would anyone be able to compare the sound of the Oppo HA-2SE to the Fostex HP-P1? I have the Fostex and always thought it was pretty good, but seeing as how it's getting a bit old now, I wondered if I might get more out of a newer, (possibly) better DAC, and I've read a lot of good things about the HA-2SE.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #171 of 369

Hold down the volume buttons when turning on and the output level is set at fixed line level.

Hmmmmmm...

I am now more undecided again.

Do you have any experience with using the Line Out to run desktop amps from a PC?

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #172 of 369
Hmmmmmm...

I am now more undecided again.

Do you have any experience with using the Line Out to run desktop amps from a PC?

I use the Mojo to run a secondary system.
Computer USB or Toslink--> Mojo--> Cavalli Liquid Carbon

It works really well. Put the Mojo in Line Out mode and give it external power and you're good to go.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #173 of 369
I use the Mojo to run a secondary system.
Computer USB or Toslink--> Mojo--> Cavalli Liquid Carbon

It works really well. Put the Mojo in Line Out mode and give it external power and you're good to go.

I'm still debating the Mojo now.  I was more set on the Oppo until I found out that the Mojo does have line out.  The new problem is that the Mojo doesn't have line in.  The Oppo HA-2SE has everything I need except the power to effectively drive all my cans by itself.  My phone doesn't support UAC 2.0 via USB OTG yet so I couldn't even use the Mojo while traveling with it.  I could run it off my Surface while on the road, but that is hardly desirable over my phone.  I could also convert the audio out of my phone from USB OTG to optical, but that adds another device in my audio chain.

What to do?

How are the Windows drivers for UAC 2.0 on the Mojo?  Does anyone know if the drivers for UAC 2.0 for the HA-2SE have had any issues with Windows 10 AE as well?  I would be ultimately pissed off if I got the Mojo or the HA-2SE and they had the same signed driver issues with Windows 10 AE that I had with my Thesycon drivers for my xDuoo XD-05.  I didn't even have the XD-05 for six months before Microsoft upgraded its WHQL driver standard to the point the XD-05 no longer works with the latest version of Windows from a fresh install.

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #174 of 369

I'm still debating the Mojo now.  I was more set on the Oppo until I found out that the Mojo does have line out.  The new problem is that the Mojo doesn't have line in.  The Oppo HA-2SE has everything I need except the power to effectively drive all my cans by itself.  My phone doesn't support UAC 2.0 via USB OTG yet so I couldn't even use the Mojo while traveling with it.  I could run it off my Surface while on the road, but that is hardly desirable over my phone.  I could also convert the audio out of my phone from USB OTG to optical, but that adds another device in my audio chain.

What to do?

I guess it's about what you want the most. No doubt the Oppo HA-2SE is a feature packed devices that can connect to anything - and it's a great design that packs nicely with a phone - it's sound quality is ok for the price considering the features. If you want something that is mobile and versatile the HA2-SE is great (unless you have an iPhone and travel a lot) :).
However - if you value sound quality over features and have the money for it you should get the Mojo (there is a quite a difference because of it's fpga dac tech - no hiss, wider soundstage, clearer separation - and lots of power - using it with my HD800/6xx's). And if you are going to use it with external amps on the desktop I would get the Mojo - no doubt.

What phone do you have? 

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #175 of 369

I guess it's about what you want the most. No doubt the Oppo HA-2SE is a feature packed devices that can connect to anything - and it's a great design that packs nicely with a phone - it's sound quality is ok for the price considering the features. If you want something that is mobile and versatile the HA2-SE is great (unless you have an iPhone and travel a lot) :).
However - if you value sound quality over features and have the money for it you should get the Mojo (there is a quite a difference because of it's fpga dac tech - no hiss, wider soundstage, clearer separation - and lots of power - using it with my HD800/6xx's). And if you are going to use it with external amps on the desktop I would get the Mojo - no doubt.

What phone do you have? 

The difference between $300 and $500 for a DAC is not a big deal.  $500 to $1000 is :wink:

I know that there will be a bit of frustration with the Mojo versus the HA-2SE.  I know that the Mojo with a processor versus a DAC chip will sound superior.  I know the Mojo has more than enough power to drive my Fostex T50RP and my Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω.

What's keeping me on the fence right now is that I don't know what the Oppo can do with my planars and 600Ω cans.  I don't want to buy something that is versatile, yet not usable with all my headphones.

FYI - I have a Microsoft 950 xl.  I know that the Oppo uses UAC 2.0 as well, but it has line in.  I know that it is in the works, but I have no idea when they plan to release UAC 2.0 for Windows 10 Mobile.  My xDuoo XD-05 had line in as well so it wasn't a total wash when I couldn't use USB OTG with it.  When the XD-05 driver support for Windows stopped, it then became useless to me.

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #176 of 369
I did recently post this in the sponsors HA2SE thread but didn't get a response and Oppo UK unhelpful, so re-posting here in case someone from Oppo sees it.

Yeah, I was well annoyed the HA-2SE was brought out very shortly after I bought the HA-2 and rapidly developed a fault. "Power bank" feature not working and battery failing to charge/depleting within an hour. Need to return it but been in and out of hosp since September including two major abdominal surgeries. Feel punked, would even pay the upgrade fee. Was thinking of getting a pair of PM-3 but considering my options now.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #178 of 369
I did recently post this in the sponsors HA2SE thread but didn't get a response and Oppo UK unhelpful, so re-posting here in case someone from Oppo sees it.

Yeah, I was well annoyed the HA-2SE was brought out very shortly after I bought the HA-2 and rapidly developed a fault. "Power bank" feature not working and battery failing to charge/depleting within an hour. Need to return it but been in and out of hosp since September including two major abdominal surgeries. Feel punked, would even pay the upgrade fee. Was thinking of getting a pair of PM-3 but considering my options now.

I'm sorry to hear about your 2 abdominal surgeries. They are tough, even more so when dealing with 2 in a short time span. Your priority is your health and the Oppo can wait.

New versions, models and upgrades in technology & audio are constant. When the new version comes out, we feel cheated after having just bought the 'old' version, but that's just part of life I suppose.

It sounds like you have some real issues with your HA-2 and Oppo will certainly repair or replace your unit as it is covered for 1 year.

Most importantly, I wish you a good health!

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #179 of 369

What's keeping me on the fence right now is that I don't know what the Oppo can do with my planars and 600Ω cans.  I don't want to buy something that is versatile, yet not usable with all my headphones.

I don't think it will have enough power. When I was using it with my 300 ohm HD65xx it was on high gain and turned up quite a bit to get an ok level.
I wouldn't use it with 600 ohm (I also think they only recommend it for up to 300 ohm headphones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back