OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Oct 2, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #3,752 of 4,883
How about the DAC section alone? I am planning to use the ha2se as a DAC alone with another dedicated amp. Was wondering if the issues you mentioned were inherent to the DAC or the amp portion.

I started my comparison by isolating the DAC section. The DAC section is what has failed the HA-2 SE. I didn't try to isolate the amp section, but I didn't notice it to be worse than the HA-2; in fact, it has a lower noise floor the HA-2.

I don't know how in what context you are using the HA-2, but I would not get either HA-2 or the HA-2 SE as a dedicated DAC. The HA-2's overall solution as a portable gear is what makes it so attractive. It is a compromise between form factor and performance.

Are you looking for a portable solution or a desktop setup? How will you be feeding the HA-2 and what is your dedicated amp? Answering these questions will help to provide you a good recommendation.

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #3,753 of 4,883
I started my comparison by isolating the DAC section. The DAC section is what has failed the HA-2 SE. I didn't try to isolate the amp section, but I didn't notice it to be worse than the HA-2; in fact, it has a lower noise floor the HA-2.

I don't know how in what context you are using the HA-2, but I would not get either HA-2 or the HA-2 SE as a dedicated DAC. The HA-2's overall solution as a portable gear is what makes it so attractive. It is a compromise between form factor and performance.

Are you looking for a portable solution or a desktop setup? How will you be feeding the HA-2 and what is your dedicated amp? Answering these questions will help to provide you a good recommendation.

I am looking for a portable setup. I will be using the Alo audio continental v5 as the amp. Source will be a Note 4 Android phone.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #3,754 of 4,883
I am looking for a portable setup. I will be using the Alo audio continental v5 as the amp. Source will be a Note 4 Android phone.

Ok, you're going to have a relatively large stack regardless of the DAC you select based on the dimensions of the Note 4 and the Continental v5's thickness. So any size gains you would have gotten by using just the HA-2 with a smaller sized phone are out of consideration.

With size compromises thrown out, I am going to focus strictly on sound quality. The best portable DAC that I have come across is the Chord Mojo.However, it is twice the price of the HA-2.

If price is a consideration, go with the original HA-2 (which may even be on sale since the release of the SE); otherwise, go with the Mojo.

For me the form factor has thus far kept me away from the Mojo. I also have a Sony PHA-3 that outperforms the HA-2, but it's bigger and doesn't pair up cord-free like the HA-2 does with an iPhone and thus doesn't get as much use as the HA-2. So do the calculus among size, form factor, performance, and price. Then pick accordingly.

Good luck.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #3,755 of 4,883
Thanks, TimeLord!

I was indeed down to two choices the Oppo or the Mojo. Decided to go with the Oppo based on the cost.
But after your review, cancelled the Oppo order and ordered a Mojo. I do not mind the bigger stack and I assume the Mojo would be future proof too. 

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #3,756 of 4,883

The HA-2 SE seems to have tried to do what the HA-1 does, but has fallen short and unfortunately is not as good as its predecessor, the HA-2.

Conclusion:
Oppo tried to bring more air and a brighter presentation to the HA-2 SE, but ultimately it did not produce a better product. Based on these results, I cannot recommend the HA-2 SE. I'll be sticking with my HA-2 for my portable listening.

Whoa!

Timelord, is there any chance that your HA-2SE needs to break in?

+1.
Interested to  see if anything changes with more burn-in on the SE.

Ok, you're going to have a relatively large stack regardless of the DAC you select based on the dimensions of the Note 4 and the Continental v5's thickness. So any size gains you would have gotten by using just the HA-2 with a smaller sized phone are out of consideration.

For me the form factor has thus far kept me away from the Mojo. I also have a Sony PHA-3 that outperforms the HA-2, but it's bigger and doesn't pair up cord-free like the HA-2 does with an iPhone and thus doesn't get as much use as the HA-2. So do the calculus among size, form factor, performance, and price. Then pick accordingly.

I too find myself going for better ergonomics than overall sound quality. Gains are too small for the added price, bulk, and complexity of use.

Easier to deal with a slimmer 'stack' with fewer distracting lights and an actual volume knob.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #3,757 of 4,883
  Thanks, TimeLord!

I was indeed down to two choices the Oppo or the Mojo. Decided to go with the Oppo based on the cost.
But after your review, cancelled the Oppo order and ordered a Mojo. I do not mind the bigger stack and I assume the Mojo would be future proof too. 

Please let me know how you like the sound once you get your order. It'll be off topic for this thread, so drop me a PM. I'd like to hear your impressions.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #3,758 of 4,883
  Timelord, is there any chance that your HA-2SE needs to break in?

Whoa!

+1.
Interested to  see if anything changes with more burn-in on the SE.

I too find myself going for better ergonomics than overall sound quality. Gains are too small for the added price, bulk, and complexity of use.

Easier to deal with a slimmer 'stack' with fewer distracting lights and an actual volume knob.

I have never had much faith in "burn in," but for the sake of ruling out any possibilities, I'll report back after having put some hours on the SE.

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #3,759 of 4,883

I have never had much faith in "burn in," but for the sake of ruling out any possibilities, I'll report back after having put some hours on the SE.

I'm not big on burn-in either but I never dismiss it.

Some people swear buy it including a (inexpensive) custom cable manufacturer I've dealt with.

Unlike some who dismiss cabling, I can actually hear a difference between headphone cables (imo due to less conductive resistance) but I haven't been so quick to ignore the 'burn-in' they might believe in.

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #3,760 of 4,883

Yeah I also don't have much faith in burn in when it comes to solid state devices, but I figure it can never hurt. I definitely do believe in burn in for headphones, so there's that, at least. Either way,thanks for the impressions!

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #3,762 of 4,883
  Thanks, TimeLord!

I have both the Oppo and the Mojo, and was using a Note 3 phone as an input.

The original use case was phone plus dac when commuting. The Note 3 was originally silent (ie not generating any RFI or other clicks, pauses or other interference), but after an Android upgrade, the phone started causing frequent clicks and other noise. This noise was audible when using both the oppo and mojo, so don't blame the mojo if you can hear similar irritating electrical noise. I added a ferrite choke to the usb lead, but this did not provide a complete cure - so experimentation with the phone Android settings, process priorities, caching détails etc may yield benefits, but it may require a bit of effort.

Soundwise, how do they compare - well I got the oppo first, and I remember thinking that if the Mojo is better than the oppo, then the Mojo must be something special.
When I got the Mojo, I discovered that it is special.
Using jazz trios and quartets as a test case, both the Oppo and Mojo reveal great detail and clarity in the individual instruments, but the Mojo is just that bit better at revealing the decay of notes, it adds depth to the sound stage, and just makes the whole performance feel a bit more musical. Once I got the Mojo, I stopped using the oppo, but I still own it.

If anyone has limited budget, then they can happily buy the oppo and have plenty of enjoyment. If budget is not the deciding factor, then I suggest buy the Mojo, and experience that extra 1% of performance/enjoyment.

My commute has changed, so I do not use the oppo or mojo in mobile mode presently. I normally now use the Mojo in desktop mode, connected via optical to my PC at home, and either listen through headphones, or use the line-out to feed my hifi. The optical does get rid of all the RFI and the loud electrical clicks and bumps, but during quiet passages it is still possible to hear very low level background noise. I put this down to probably electrical noise generated inside my PC, and plan to experiment using SSDs and/or use a laptop on battery power (to eliminate mains born interference).

I am contemplating the possibility of using the mojo solely in desktop mode, and using the oppo again in my office at work. I also do prefer the oppo form factor, it is phone sized and does slip easier into pockets. I have often wished that Chord had designed the Mojo to fit in an oppo sized case.

I know there are a lot of mentions of the mojo in this post, but someone asked if anyone had compared the oppo and mojo.

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #3,763 of 4,883
Cord-free with iPhone?

Sorry, that wasn't the best wording. I was hoping readers would have picked up on my past posts.

Usually there is the short 3 or 4 inch USB to Lightning cable (in the case of iDevices or micro USB for Android) at the bottom of your stack to connect the iPhone to the HA-2. It's tidy enough, but still distracting, especially if it can be eliminated through the use of a case like in the second photo of this post. This is why I really love the HA-2's form factor.

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #3,764 of 4,883
Yeah I also don't have much faith in burn in when it comes to solid state devices, but I figure it can never hurt.

Even if such a thing were real, it would be too subtle to fix the kind of problems TimeLord was talking about and probably too subtle to hear. The sound of certain speakers and headphones does change by that much through burn-in, but solid-state electronics? Not in this universe. :)

Oct 3, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #3,765 of 4,883
I've not yet heard the HA-2 SE, but I've long preferred the DAC section of the HA-2 to any other DAC I own, including the HA-1, Metrum Acoustics Octave  MkII, CEntrance DACmini CX, DACport LX and the FiiO X5's DAC (sold, but that thing has a great DAC, too - far outshining its amp).  

I can imagine people rolling their eyes every time I say the HA-2's DAC is so much better than my low-fi and mid-fi desktop DACs, but I think it's the price factor that sways opinions. Affordable stuff isn't supposed to beat the more expensive stuff, but sometimes it does.

That said, I'm looking forward to a consensus of opinion on the HA-2 SE from people I've come to trust. TimeLord might be onto something, just the same.

This has been my favorite rig for several weeks, now.  Nothing beats it.  The HD800, PM-1, LCD-2, plus all my other desktop and portable gear are gathering dust.  I'm not trying to go portable (or "transportable") - it just happens that this sounds better than anything else I can cook up, currently.

Apple iPod Touch 6 
Oppo HA-2 (DAC)
iBasso PB2 Pelican with 2x Sparkos Labs SS3602 discrete dual op-amps with dummy buffers
Balanced Toxic Cables Silver Poison 
Beyerdynamics DT880 600 (with locking Mini-XLR jacks installed by BTG-Audio)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back