OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Sep 25, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #3,678 of 4,883
  Some more info here: http://gadgetynews.com/oppo-sonica-range-4k-uhd-player-preview/
Less background hiss (excellent for me as my H8.2 suffer from it) and a better DAC... 

EDIT: And USB-C port for the android phones added according to here: http://www.hifiandmusicsource.com/2016/09/oppo-4k-bdp/
Retail price ~£289 (guess it will be the same price as the HA2).

Thanks for these links!  

That second link contains a curious sentence: "Oppo yesterday introduced the new Sonica DAC, a complete reworking of the HA-1 headphone amplifier"  

Where's the headphone jack?  It's a DAC, it's not a "complete reworking of the HA-1."

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #3,679 of 4,883
Thanks for these links!  

That second link contains a curious sentence: "[COLOR=424242]Oppo yesterday introduced the new Sonica DAC, a complete reworking of the HA-1 headphone amplifier"  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=424242]Where's the headphone jack?  It's a DAC, it's not a "complete reworking of the HA-1."[/COLOR]

Read the whole article. Launch of many products. Sonica is wireless network DAC. "HA-2 SE" is the reworked special edition HA-2 with an updated DAC and less-IEM-hissy amp.

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #3,682 of 4,883
Oppo haven't said yet which newer dac chip the SE uses or if the amp is less powerful to reduce hiss. No way to know for sure until more info is released.

I'm more interested if the SE version retains the balanced TRRS capability of the original HA-2?

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #3,683 of 4,883

I'm more interested if the SE version retains the balanced TRRS capability of the original HA-2?

What headphones would you even connect to a balanced TRRS headphone-out? Something DIY-recabled? (In which case how do you know which terminal to connect to what wire?)

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #3,684 of 4,883
Originally Posted by dennistdk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[snip]

EDIT: And USB-C port for the android phones added according to here: http://www.hifiandmusicsource.com/2016/09/oppo-4k-bdp/
Retail price ~£289 (guess it will be the same price as the HA2).

Quote:

Thanks for these links!  

That second link contains a curious sentence: "Oppo yesterday introduced the new Sonica DAC, a complete reworking of the HA-1 headphone amplifier"  

Where's the headphone jack?  It's a DAC, it's not a "complete reworking of the HA-1."

Read the whole article. Launch of many products. Sonica is wireless network DAC. "HA-2 SE" is the reworked special edition HA-2 with an updated DAC and less-IEM-hissy amp.

No one has to read the whole article to find fault with the author's opening statement regarding the Sonica DAC:

Oppo yesterday introduced the new Sonica DAC, a complete reworking of the HA-1 headphone amplifier which has been one of my personal highlights of the last few years and I recall only wishing it could stream.  Well now the Sonica DAC will do just that and indeed stream music, receive Bluetooth Apt-X and manage multi rooms solutions, such as the SonicaGrand and the Sonica, using D to A technology over wireless networks.

But it doesn't have a headphone jack...

@Subhakar  ... So how can the Sonica DAC possibly be a complete reworking of the HA-1 headphone amplifier?  

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #3,685 of 4,883

Never mind. I got all excited about nothing, if I'm to believe this post (and to take full notice of the fact that Oppo aren't promoting the HA-2 as having balanced output).

Sep 26, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #3,687 of 4,883
  What headphones would you even connect to a balanced TRRS headphone-out? Something DIY-recabled? (In which case how do you know which terminal to connect to what wire?)

Most 3.5mm balanced connectors use the Hifiman style pinout (from the tip down: L+,R+,L-,R-).

I have 3.5mm TRRS cables that fit my Oppo PM-3 and my Sony Z7 and T1.2. Got the PM-3 compatible cable for $8 on Amazon (link below) and the other is a custom Surf cable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PLP05NQ

Never mind. I got all excited about nothing, if I'm to believe this post (and to take full notice of the fact that Oppo aren't promoting the HA-2 as having balanced output).

Oppo never advertised the HA-2 as having balanced out (same for Sony's ZX2).

Instead of their headphone jacks rejecting the TRRS connector and giving mono sound (like most other devices), the HA-2 and ZX2 use the extra ring/pole as an additional ground (like a pseudo balanced). Users who've tried it says there is a slight improvement but not quite equal to a true balanced out.

Still it must be nice to take advantage of the extra ground and not have to use a TRRS to TRS adapter.

Sep 26, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #3,688 of 4,883
  Got the PM-3 compatible cable for $8 on Amazon (link below) and the other is a custom Surf cable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PLP05NQ

Thanks, but since Amazon continue to hate Romania and refuse to send any electronics over here that link is useless to me. :)

it must be nice to take advantage of the extra ground and not have to use a TRRS to TRS adapter.

Nice if you already have the TRRS. Not worth the expense and/or effort to recable your headphones if you don't. Not for the slight (imagined?) improvement of a pseudo-balanced connection. At this point I'm not even sure the "true" balanced output and circuit offer such a substantial improvement as some say, as I only found out about this option today and I haven't come across any evidence (measurements) to show it does any good yet.

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #3,689 of 4,883
For anyone wondering why the HA-2 was "mysteriously" out of stock for a couple of weeks, it was due to us preparing to release the slightly updated HA-2SE which features the newly released ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9028-Q2M DAC. It is available now and shipping immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back