OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Aug 27, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #3,601 of 4,883
  the issue for me is to find a cable that is setup the same as the Oppo provided cable so it does not charge the phone. The only cable that has allowed UAPP to work is a standard Micro USB cable with a Micro USB - USBC adpater (came with my Note 7) but as I say, this charges the phone.

Seems right, since the charging cable you used in that instance has a regular micro-USB connector with a "floating" ID pin (not connected to GND), so when the HA-2 sees that plugged in it charges through it.

I have tried my original Oppo Micro USB cable with the provided MicroUSB - USB C adapter however I get no connection at all.

Don't know much about USB Type-C or its compatibility with the older standards because I haven't had to deal with it at all yet, but I'm seeing a lot of complaints online from people unable to get their old OTG-relevant peripherals to work with their new USB-C phones through various adapters. That Amicroe thing seems to have the type of micro-USB connector you need at the HA-2 end (namely one with ID=GND) but whether you can find one that works with your USB-C adapter or whether you need an entirely different USB-C adapter... I couldn't tell you for sure. My bet would be that it takes a single cable that's USB-C at one end and micro-USB OTG (ID=GND) at the other, if such a thing exists.

#EarlyAdopterProblems :)

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #3,603 of 4,883
hello, I am new to higher end audio and was wondering if the oppo- ha-2 would be over kill. my current set up is iphone 6s/ fiio e18 empire earsIEMS, I also have the the note 7 that will be added to the line up. I stream all music through Tidal lossless format. so basically would oppo really be worth the upgrade or would I just be wasting money. Thanks, 

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #3,605 of 4,883
hello, I am new to higher end audio and was wondering if the oppo- ha-2 would be over kill. my current set up is iphone 6s/ fiio e18 empire earsIEMS, I also have the the note 7 that will be added to the line up. I stream all music through Tidal lossless format. so basically would oppo really be worth the upgrade or would I just be wasting money. Thanks, 

I also run the mass drop, purple hearts & mahogany and audeze el-8. 

Do you have a desktop setup or will this serve as both portable and home functions? Also, what's your budget?

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #3,607 of 4,883
This will be both my portable and home set up. I use the empire ears on the go and I use fostex th-x00 for movies and at work. My DAC/AMP budget is around $400. 

In that case, you'll definitely benefit from a DAC/amp. I think the Oppo HA-2 will serve you well, but if I was in your shoes, I'd save up another $200 and pick up the Chord Mojo instead. While I really like the HA-2, the much superior DAC in the Mojo makes it one of the most compelling DAC/amp combos, especially at its price point.

If the extra cost is too much, the HA-2 will still serve you well.

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #3,608 of 4,883
In that case, you'll definitely benefit from a DAC/amp. I think the Oppo HA-2 will serve you well, but if I was in your shoes, I'd save up another $200 and pick up the Chord Mojo instead. While I really like the HA-2, the much superior DAC in the Mojo makes it one of the most compelling DAC/amp combos, especially at its price point.

If the extra cost is too much, the HA-2 will still serve you well.

Thanks for the help. I did check out the Mojo but i thought it would be over kill for just streaming Tidal. I don't own any Flac or high end music. I generally stick to vinyl for home use and Tidal streaming for portable. I was nervous that Oppo Ha-2 would be over kill for just streaming Tidal.  

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #3,609 of 4,883
Thanks for the help. I did check out the Mojo but i thought it would be over kill for just streaming Tidal. I don't own any Flac or high end music. I generally stick to vinyl for home use and Tidal streaming for portable. I was nervous that Oppo Ha-2 would be over kill for just streaming Tidal.  

I'm not sure which service you have with Tidal, but even their MP3 service can benefit from a good DAC.

As you progress to improve the quality of the audio on the digital side, this will be become more important.

But maybe for your particular circumstances, upgrading to better headphones makes sense. In any case, better headphones bring about larger gains in sound quality.

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #3,610 of 4,883

I have both the oppo and mojo.
When i used to listen to 16/44.1 flac tracks from my phone, using the oppo, I kept thinking that the oppo was very good, but also that if the hype about the mojo was justified, then the mojo must be something special indeed.

What i found was that good as the oppo was, the mojo was just that bit better at everything - where the oppo was good at resolving individual jazz instruments like bass, piano and drums/cymbals, the mojo added better resolution of the transient decay of notes, plus a deeper and more airy spatial positioning of instruments in the overall soundstage. The mojo handles ordinary 16/44.1 flac files so well that I don't feel the need to chase HiRes files.

I understand your caution, and I think that even with Tidal streaming you will gain much enjoyment using the oppo. However i also think that after a few weeks, as it gets nearer christmas, you might start to get thoughts about 'shall i ask for a mojo for christmas,'. 
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #3,611 of 4,883
  What i found was that good as the oppo was, the mojo was just that bit better at everything

But then is "just a bit better" worth double the price? If you ask me, hellz no. Way past the point of diminishing returns there.

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #3,612 of 4,883
But then is "just a bit better" worth double the price? If you ask me, hellz no. Way past the point of diminishing returns there.

From the comparison that I did, the DAC section is not close. The Mojo is much better. The DAC wasn't just better than the HA-2; it was better than the PHA-3 and Ayre Codex.

This comparison was done using the Cavalli Liquid Gold as the amp.

Aug 30, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #3,613 of 4,883
From the comparison that I did, the DAC section is not close. The Mojo is much better. The DAC wasn't just better than the HA-2; it was better than the PHA-3 and Ayre Codex.

This comparison was done using the Cavalli Liquid Gold as the amp.

The man asked you for something to use as his main driver at home and on the go. The DAC alone doesn't fill that role. You test it as a DAC+amp or you have tested nothing. (And even if it's stellar as just-a-DAC it would still be a questionable purchase to buy it as a combo at that "amusing" price just to get the DAC section and not care about the amp. If anything, its amp being more powerful is probably one of its main advantages to the HA-2.)

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #3,614 of 4,883
The man asked you for something to use as his main driver at home and on the go. The DAC alone doesn't fill that role. You test it as a DAC+amp or you have tested nothing. (And even if it's stellar as just-a-DAC it would still be a questionable purchase to buy it as a combo at that "amusing" price just to get the DAC section and not care about the amp. If anything, its amp being more powerful is probably one of its main advantages to the HA-2.)

The differences in the amp section were not large enough to warrant a discussion. On the amp section alone, I would not upgrade to the Mojo. The DAC section is the reason to go to the Mojo.

Additionally, I responded clearly here that the DAC/amp combo was suitable to his needs: http://www.head-fi.org/t/755879/oppo-ha-2-portable-headphone-amplifier-dac-discussion-thread/3600#post_12823368

But feel free to read into the posts what you'd like...

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #3,615 of 4,883
The differences in the amp section were not large enough to warrant a discussion. On the amp section alone, I would not upgrade to the Mojo. The DAC section is the reason to go to the Mojo.

Except if the amp is not good enough it can muck up all the extra details coming out of the DAC and not let them get to your headphones/speakers. If I look at the fact that you needed to test the DAC separately to detect what it's doing better, I'd say that's indeed the case here, so I have to maintain that as a combo it's still not worth double the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back