OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Mar 21, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #3,197 of 4,883
I got my OPPO HA-2 today. I had a SABRE32 DAP before and knew it had by far the best sound IMO. I'm using it with my SE846 and I have to say the SQ is incredible. Significantly better than my Astell & Kern AK100 II.

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #3,198 of 4,883
I also had an HA-2 which at the time I thought was great other than I could hear background hiss with my SE846's.

Then went for a Chord Mojo and no going back. DSD and Hi-def flac out of the Mojo is on a totally different level.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #3,199 of 4,883
You're right about the hiss. I noticed it as well. The AK100 II is pitch black. During music, the hiss is overruled by the sound though. I only hear the hiss at the end of a fade-out.

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #3,201 of 4,883
I only use SE846's and don't even own a pair of headphones so can't comment. The Shure's are only 9 Ohm, I didn't notice any hiss with my less sensitive 50 Ohm Klipsch X10i's.

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #3,202 of 4,883
I use SE846. The hiss is only audible when a song is paused. The hiss is so soft that any sound nullifies it. It is completely inaudible when music is playing so it's not an issue at all. The sound quality of the oppo HA-2 is so impressive that I have no regrets.

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #3,203 of 4,883
It's obviously in a different price bracket and totally different size/shape, but if your searching for best audio quality at an acceptable price I'd recommend paying the extra for a Mojo.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #3,205 of 4,883
i tried the mojo, and against the ha-2 i think both are excellent dac-amps.
the mojo sounds differently, its warm and natural, its cute and the glowing lights is something that you could be proud of :)
its more refined than the ha2.
it makes your music more natural sounding.
its like it makes you listen to your music in a slower phase,
with each instruments breathes life, the vocals will sound more true.

but of course, you pay higher price for it than the ha2.
still, the ha2 is also good though. 
and can still hold on its own. 
because of price, build and performance.

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #3,206 of 4,883
I know it's not about aesthetics, but I would choose the HA-2 over the Mojo 1000x based on looks only.

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #3,209 of 4,883
I'm posting in this thread (as well as in the HE 400s Headphones thread) my initial impressions on the Oppo HA-2 paired with the  Hifiman HE-400s headphones, in case anyone is also considering this combo.

I received my HE-400s headphones last week and have enjoyed them a lot. I've mainly used them directly from my ipod or from my iphone 6 (spotify) or computer, most of the time paired with a Dragonfly 1.2. I'm no expert on how to describe the "sound", but I can definitely say they are way above all my previously owned headphones (Bose AE2, Alessandro MS-1 and Sennheiser HD598). Sounds from instruments feels tighter, clearer. I play drums and on several acoustic songs the tom hits sound extremely real (as if I was physically on that room). In short, I'm very happy with the purchase.

So, yesterday I received the Oppo HA-2 portable amp/dac. Even though I plan to get a Schitt stack (modi 2 and vali 2) to listen at home, I'm still working on my music source (repurpose an old laptop or buy a new computer, like a mac mini) plus I need a new desk, so I decided to go with a portable solution as I mostly listen to music in bed. Also on the weekends, I can keep an eye on my two kids while enjoying good music. I was only able to listen for about 45 minutes, again using my iphone 6 and spotify. Initial impressions are positive, I felt the bass was tighter, more pronounced, and I liked that. This was while listening to Rock and Acoustic music.

I did a quick A/B test regarding the low vs high gain setting and I "feel"  I enjoyed the music more with the gain on high. Anyone can comment on this?

In regards to the bass boost, it was very nice on hip hop songs... on every thing else (Rock/Acoustic/Salsa), it's better to leave it off, in my opinion.

The unit itself is very well constructed, the packaging is very nice too.

Feel free to comment if you have this combo.

Joe

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #3,210 of 4,883
Was testing the sony xperia z3 against the ipod touch 6th gen,yesterday oh the ha2,and i found the ipod to have better sound.The sony was not impressive at all. But the sony was connected to the port B,and the ipod to the port A.Are the dac inside the Ha-2 only active,when you use the A/usb port on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back