OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jan 16, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #2,806 of 4,883
Hey, is anyone using the Oppo here to drive the Alpha Dogs, Alpha Dog Primes or the Sennheiser HD800?

I know it can drive them, but can it drive them well?

I know people have varying opinions on what constitutes good. I've never had a dedicated desktop amp (unless the Soundblaster X7 counts).

I want to know if a $400 desktop amp can drives the above-referenced headphones significantly better than the Oppo.

Just trying to figure out if the Oppo is going to hold me back as I start looking at higher-end headphones.

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #2,807 of 4,883
Hey, is anyone using the Oppo here to drive the Alpha Dogs, Alpha Dog Primes or the Sennheiser HD800?

I know it can drive them, but can it drive them well?

I know people have varying opinions on what constitutes good. I've never had a dedicated desktop amp (unless the Soundblaster X7 counts).

I want to know if a $400 desktop amp can drives the above-referenced headphones significantly better than the Oppo.

Just trying to figure out if the Oppo is going to hold me back as I start looking at higher-end headphones.

if it helps i have the oppo plus the hd600's which are rated at 300ohms.  the oppo paired nicely but i often found myself at max volume and wanting even a bit more headroom. so i got a desktop amp and ran the oppo to it via its line out and i can hear a noticeable difference with the additional power YMMV

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #2,815 of 4,883
On the gin would the Anker Astro E3 be a good buy to charge the ha-2 and iPod touch?

I would think so, yes.  I've had the older, discontinued Anker Astro Pro 10,000 mAh battery pack for almost two years and it's still going strong - no problems.  

The Anker Astro E3 looks a lot thinner, but with the same capacity rating, for a lot less money.  The prices keep going down on these.  Snap it up!  
biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/10000mAh-Portable-Gerneration-External-Technology/dp/B009USAJCC

---

I was just about to post a recommendation for this product:  

Drok Dual USB 2.0 Digital Multimeter 

http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Multimeter-Capacity-Charging-Alignment/dp/B00J3JSEG6

Here it is, plugged into the HA-2's USB charger, simultaneously charging the HA-2 and an iPod Touch 6, while providing a constant readout of the voltage coming from the charger and, best of all, how many amps are being pulled by the two devices:

When the amperage falls to 0.00, they are both fully charged, but I'm able to unplug first one, then the other, to get a feeling for how close either of them are to a full charge (without having to judge by turning on the iPod to see its battery state indicator or look at the four LEDs of the HA-2.

I've also been using the Drok with the HA-2 charger, for several months now, for simultaneously charging my Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 and the HA-2. I've not encountered any problems whatsoever and I like being able to assess the progress with a quick glance.

Mike

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #2,817 of 4,883
Is there a comparison anywhere between the Oppo HA-2 and the Pico Slim? I have the Pico slim (bought for my beloved custom IEMs that have been tragically left on an airplane somewhere...). I just bought the PM-3 and am considering the HA-2. Pico Slim should be able to drive these headphones, right? They have a low impedance, similar to some IEMs.

To be honest I can't discern a huge difference when I play Tidal HIFI through the amp and when I play through the phone direct...

But these are my first ever over-ear headphones...

Anyone been able to make a direct comparison Pico Slim vs HA-2?

Thanks and hello - this is my first post.
Michael

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #2,819 of 4,883
For users of this unit with Apple lightning equipment, I am wondering what you experiences have been?

I use a lightning CCK to output my phone to various external DAC units, and the experience is mixed at best.  I get dropouts all the time, and these dropouts require going back to the phone and hitting play again.   Sometimes I get white noise, etc.

So I am wondering if this unit is more reliable with iphones than with using the CCK.

My iphone is a 6 plus, running 9.2

Thanks.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #2,820 of 4,883
I've had the HA-2 for a week and did not have any drop outs with my iOS 9.2 devices (iPhone 6S, ipad Air 2).

Only issue: when the device sleeps for a while without playing audio, I sometimes have to reconnect. But never during play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back