OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Oct 9, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #2,191 of 4,883
  How durable are these against normal wear and tear?

My HA-2 slipped and fell 3-4 inches and hit my table... It looks fine (no scratches or anything), but maybe I'm just paranoid!

What are the signs of broken dac's and amps? Is it instantly noticeable, or is it something like reduced sound quality?

Thanks!

I'm fairly certain that little drop did absolutely nothing internally.

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #2,192 of 4,883
I JUST USE THE SUPPLIED RUBBER BANDS
WORKS FOR ME

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #2,195 of 4,883
It is available on Amazon, but sold by Oppo and not eligible for Amazon Prime. Its $8 shipping. 

I am considering selling my HA-2 through the classifieds as I do not use it much. 
[/quote
What is it that you don't like that keeps you from usingit much? About to pull the trigger on purchasing one.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #2,196 of 4,883
I sat down with Jason and interviewed him at RMAF. He is a very wise and pleasant person to talk to.

I took a look at their new color PM-3s and I have to say that they definitely sound a little better than the black ones. It must have something to do with the way that black absorbs heat, like with the pavement and sun. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #2,197 of 4,883
I'm fairly new to the dac/amp game. I know the E12 is a great bang-for-the-buck amp, but is it better/ more powerful than what the HA-2 has?

What is your source? Once you add a third device, you severely limit the portability factor, which is one of the Oppo's key features, at least in my mind.

I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just curious how people are using this device.

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #2,198 of 4,883
It is available on Amazon, but sold by Oppo and not eligible for Amazon Prime. Its $8 shipping. 

I am considering selling my HA-2 through the classifieds as I do not use it much. 

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm using Android, and I need a Micro USB A to Micro USB A OTG with right angle connectors, essentially what's in the box, but with right angle connectors rather than straight ones.

I've had bad luck with Micro USBs, and I really don't like the pressure the straight cable puts (with its weird angle) on the micro USB input on both the Oppo and my HTC phone.

The original eBay listing seems to fit the bill, but I couldn't find an amazon link for the same item.

Oct 10, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #2,199 of 4,883
I'm fairly new to the dac/amp game. I know the E12 is a great bang-for-the-buck amp, but is it better/ more powerful than what the HA-2 has?

What is your source? Once you add a third device, you severely limit the portability factor, which is one of the Oppo's key features, at least in my mind.

I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just curious how people are using this device.

The E12 is 4x more powerful than the HA-2. The HA-2 outputs 220mW@32 Ohms. The E12 outputs 880mW@32 Ohms.

The benefit of the HA-2 over the E12 is connectivity, and DAC/amp vs amp only, subjective sound quality preferences not included.

Edit: To be clear I'm talking about the E12 Mont Blanc not the IEM version E12A which is only slightly more powerful than the HA-2.

Oct 10, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #2,200 of 4,883
The E12 is 4x more powerful than the HA-2. The HA-2 outputs 220mW@32 Ohms. The E12 outputs 880mW@32 Ohms.

The benefit of the HA-2 over the E12 is connectivity, and DAC/amp vs amp only, subjective sound quality preferences not included.

Edit: To be clear I'm talking about the E12 Mont Blanc not the IEM version E12A which is only slightly more powerful than the HA-2.

Relic-
Thanks for the detailed response! Now I understand why the new E12 is so well regarded! If someone would put an audiophile-quality dac in a phone (ahem, Samsung!), the E12 Mont Blanc would be all many of us need.

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #2,202 of 4,883
I'm thinking of using the E12 via line out of the HA-2 to use with the HD 650 and iPod Classic. Would that be a good setup?

Are you concerned about portability? I'm personally having trouble keeping my HA-2 stacked with my 5-inch phone, but YMMV. It gets to be bulky once you add a third device and a second cable.

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #2,204 of 4,883
I'm thinking of using the E12 via line out of the HA-2 to use with the HD 650 and iPod Classic. Would that be a good setup?

Interesting idea. Do let us know what you think if ever you pull the trigger on this. Personally, I've driven the HD650 on the HA-2 and it goes as loud as I dare listen on High gain. It is still a very enjoyable listen. 

Oct 10, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #2,205 of 4,883

Interesting idea. Do let us know what you think if ever you pull the trigger on this. Personally, I've driven the HD650 on the HA-2 and it goes as loud as I dare listen on High gain. It is still a very enjoyable listen. 

Pretty much what  wanted to say. Beyond the fact that the HA-2 can drive my HD650 adequately, just adding the capability for more power output does not always make things better. Enough power is simply enough power! There is the difference in the sound signature and things like noise floor. The E12 has what has long been called the FIIO house sound. It is definitely on the warm side. It is also known to be on the noisy side. For my taste, this is the last thing you need to pair with the HD650. I would suggest that a person would be better off just trying the HA-2 alone. If the sound is good enough, stop right there. This saves the cable hassles, another device to keep charged and makes the stack much easier to carry.

Just for reference, I have the HA-2, the E12, and my trusty HD650 and have played with different combinations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back