OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
May 3, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #1,066 of 4,883
Thanks for the impressions. I was wondering how the HA-2 performs compared to entry level desktop DACs (e.g. Schiit Modi 2 Uber) and mid-fi options (e.g. Schiit Bifrost Uber). I'm looking to upgrade my work setup while using my iPod Classic as a digital transport, so I am deciding between getting the HA-2 as a DAC or buying a iPod digital transport dock to feed the digital signal fron the iPod to a full desktop DAC. Do you have any opinions about this?

have a ha-2 and bifrost uber. sonic differences between dacs that I've tried are generally quite small, you will get better sonic return investing in nicer headphones. main most noticeable difference wld be in sound sig. the biforst and ha-2 actually have a similar sound sig tho imo. can either be considered bright and neutral depending on ur point of reference. the bifrost may be superior but it wld be subtle and you will need to do a direct ab test to rly figure that out. i havent done that yet. both sound excellent, cant go wrong w either.

I think it makes more sense in your situation just to get a portable dac/amp for your requirements/needs.

May 3, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #1,067 of 4,883
have a ha-2 and bifrost uber. sonic differences between dacs that I've tried are generally quite small, you will get better sonic return investing in nicer headphones. main most noticeable difference wld be in sound sig. the biforst and ha-2 actually have a similar sound sig tho imo. can either be considered bright and neutral depending on ur point of reference. the bifrost may be superior but it wld be subtle and you will need to do a direct ab test to rly figure that out. i havent done that yet. both sound excellent, cant go wrong w either.

I think it makes more sense in your situation just to get a portable dac/amp for your requirements/needs.

Before I upgraded from the ODAC to the Bifrost Uber, I expected differences in DACs to be quite minute. However, once my Bifrost came in the mail and I did some side by side comparisons with the ODAC, I was actually very surprised by how much better the Bifrost was. Smoother, more detailed, and more lively. Best of all, I started hearing details in music that I didn't previously notice with my ODAC. I was sold! YMMV of course.

Knowing this, I wanted to get an idea of what level of performance to expect from the portable HA-2 relative to the Bifrost. Not sure if I can go back to ODAC-level performance after living with the Bifrost at home. If you have time to compare the two side by side and drop some impressions, I would REALLY appreciate it!

May 3, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #1,069 of 4,883
...and for portability figured out an elegant unobtrusive method of transport (backup iphone 6 plus case with velcro two soft velcro patches and then two very (wafer) thin velcro ties tied around the oppo.  The Oppo then sticks to the back of the iphone case.  When I don't need the audio setup, I pop the iphone out of that case and put it in another iphone 6 plus case. Takes about 3 seconds.  Velcro straps that leave no residue or mark on Oppo and come off easily cost a few dollars.  Velcro patches stick via adhesive to back of iphone case.  The rubber bands didn't do it for me as they covered too much of the Oppo and way too much of the iphone screen...

May 3, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #1,070 of 4,883
I personally don't own any Android devices, but someone contacted me asking if they can use the HA-2 connected directly to the Samsung S3 (I'm guessing through USB OTG) and play music with the Google Play Music app or if they need to install a dedicated music app like the Onkyo HF Player?

May 4, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #1,072 of 4,883
On the contrary, at the last local meet, the owner of a Bifrost said it sounded like an ODAC but slightly warmer when A/Bed next to each other, and I would agree. XD

Haha, just goes to show how subjective this hobby is!

May 4, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #1,073 of 4,883
Wow thats nifty, I appreciate the pics. What kind or size pieces of velcro is that on the phone?

May 4, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #1,074 of 4,883
  Wow thats nifty, I appreciate the pics. What kind or size pieces of velcro is that on the phone?

8 inch by 1/2 inch thin One Wrap Velcro ties -- $4.99 on Amazon for 100.  Perfect size for Oppo, and they worked like a champ tonight when I put the net on my son's lacrosse goal for the backyard.

May 4, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #1,075 of 4,883
Thanks got a few more questions. What material is that iphone case made of or would that even matter in gluing the velcro strips on? And the lightning to usb wire oppo provides is it long enough in that set up? I'm looking for a cheap iphone 6+ case on amazon now.

May 4, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #1,076 of 4,883
  Thanks got a few more questions. What material is that iphone case made of or would that even matter in gluing the velcro strips on? And the lightning to usb wire oppo provides is it long enough in that set up? I'm looking for a cheap iphone 6+ case on amazon now.

I bought the apple made iphone case -- best they have ever made ... leather and super super light and thin, and looks awesome with the oppo.  The velcro strips will attach to any case I would bet, though.  I bought a furutech adl-gt8-a shortest possible (3.9 inches or .1 meter) and it works perfect in my set up.  A few inches suffices to since the inputs are so close together.

May 4, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #1,077 of 4,883
The furutech lightning for $95? Is it the same length as the one oppo provides?

May 4, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #1,078 of 4,883
Haha, just goes to show how subjective this hobby is!

never tried the odac, but microdetail retrevial on the ha2 is definitely at least as good as if nit better than the renessence herus. i find the herus subtly brighter than both the bifrost and ha2. sound quality attributes are close enough that direct blind testing for me was counter-productive and frustrating. hahah.

May 4, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #1,079 of 4,883
I have an E-DAC (which the same, other than lacking the headphone amp I think). In comparison with the HA-2 used as a DAC into an amp and speakers I would say they are pretty similar. Maybe a little more warmth from the E-DAC and a little more detail from the HA-2.

May 4, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #1,080 of 4,883
I tried the HA-2 through the O2 amplifier on my sig pro yesterday.
There is a slight difference (more weighty bass and a little bit colder mids) but in general the improvement is not that significant and the HA-2 amp section is good enough.
The bigger difference I have noticed when comparing with the O2 +ODAC – much colder sound, bass has more weight.
Different DAC (ES9023) and 600 mW vs 220 mW make the difference I guess.

I do not have any complain on the HA-2 as it is really really good as a portable solution.
There are better DAC/Amps on the market but they are much more expensive and not really that portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back