OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Mar 14, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #376 of 4,883
Got My HA-2 last night nothing to add over other posts on the audio side .

I bought it to use with my ipod classic instead of an Altoids CMoy I have airport security can be funny about my cmoy and the HA2 is more practical for charging etc.

As per a few other people I have had a few issues getting the Classic to work I have not tested it exhaustively but have found the following order helps.

Maker sure HA is off  (via volume dial) > set to A Connect iPod Cable > start ipod playing turn on the HA, you need to wait 3-5 seconds before audio will start.

I know the handshake and enumeration between an apple device and something connected as digital transport this process can take a few seconds.

The iPod Classic will charge and play at the same time BUT the audio will stop when you initiate the charge, I found turning the amp off then on again will restart the audio,

You can charge HA and have theClassic charging at same time but It looks like you can not play audio charge classic and charge HA at same time, I suppose  you can not have everything.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #377 of 4,883

I bought it to use with my ipod classic instead of an Altoids CMoy I have airport security can be funny about my cmoy and the HA2 is more practical for charging etc.

As per a few other people I have had a few issues getting the Classic to work I have not tested it exhaustively but have found the following order helps.

Maker sure HA is off  (via volume dial) > set to A Connect iPod Cable > start ipod playing turn on the HA, you need to wait 3-5 seconds before audio will start.

I know the handshake and enumeration between an apple device and something connected as digital transport this process can take a few seconds.

The iPod Classic will charge and play at the same time BUT the audio will stop when you initiate the charge, I found turning the amp off then on again will restart the audio,

You can charge HA and have theClassic charging at same time but It looks like you can not play audio charge classic and charge HA at same time, I suppose  you can not have everything.

Do you have to do this process every time it starts up or just the initial hook-up?

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #378 of 4,883

Do you have to do this process every time it starts up or just the initial hook-up?

Oh sorry yes should have said, once it is connected it is fine each time I start, just turn on and press play :)

Seems to be the first connection or after another IOS device has been connected that connection was problematic on the Classic.

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #385 of 4,883
My HA-2 arrived today... Beautiful unit.

With mine there is definitely a hiss present with the SE846... When the device is turned on there are a few seconds of quiet, then a pop, then a loud hiss... The hiss remained at a fixed volume, even when clicking over from low to high gain.

I'm going to call Oppo on Monday and get their thoughts on this. I'm wondering if mine is a defective unit, as others in this thread have stated that they heard no hiss with the SE846... I don't think this is a question of different ears, either- the hiss is loud and definitely noticeable. 

More troubling, however, are some aspects of the sound when paired with the SE846. My HA-2 seems to add elements of veiling and muddiness to some tracks that are otherwise clear and transparent on the iPod Touch 5g. This points to a higher output impedance, which the 9 Ohm SE846 are very sensitive to. I don't know if anyone here looked into the Linum BaX cables, but they cause the same muddiness issues with the SE846, due to their high 1.5 Ohm output impedance. I've found devices generally need a <1 Ohm output impedance to play well with the SE846.

Again, perhaps I just got a defective unit. We'll see what Oppo says. Most elements of the sound I really, really enjoyed... If I can get a unit with no hiss or muddiness when paired with the SE846, it's a keeper.

I should point out that my HA-2 fared better with higher Ohm IEMs... With the Nuforce NE700-X (16 Ohm), the initial start-up pop remained, but the hiss was so low as to be almost inaudible. With the Audio Technica CKM77 (16 Ohm), the initial pop transformed into a quiet click, and the hiss was nonexistent.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #386 of 4,883

shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happytalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would the ha-2 still hiss with the etymotic er4s?

No way in hell. It won't hiss with anything but moderately sensitive and sensitive earphones. So, no, not with Earsonics Velvet, or EM32, and certainly not with ER4s.

How about ER•4Ps?
4PT 102 dB @1 kHz SPL at 0.1v

I couldn't find sensitivity measurements for your FitEar MH335, but found these.
http://sonove.angry.jp/FitEarToGo334.html

Not sure if the FitEar and 4PT curves have been normalized. The text says "ER-4S", so I don't know if they've used the P-to-S adapter.

Not sure if impedance is useful for trying to extrapolate comparative sensitivity.

And from http://en.goldenears.net/1389.

I'm looking for a portable DAC/amp to use with my ER•4Ps as well as "harder to drive" HPs that will benefit from amplification that I will buy in the future (considering HE-400i/560, PM-2/3, T1/5p).

In his review, georgelai57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif www.headfonia.com/oppo-ha-2-2007-all-over-again/2/, makes a comparison with the Cypher Labs’s Picollo DAC. Would appreciate any feedback from others who have used both.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #387 of 4,883
  My HA-2 arrived today... Beautiful unit.

With mine there is definitely a hiss present with the SE846... When the device is turned on there are a few seconds of quiet, then a pop, then a loud hiss... The hiss remained at a fixed volume, even when clicking over from low to high gain.

I'm going to call Oppo on Monday and get their thoughts on this. I'm wondering if mine is a defective unit, as others in this thread have stated that they heard no hiss with the SE846... I don't think this is a question of different ears, either- the hiss is loud and definitely noticeable. 

More troubling, however, are some aspects of the sound when paired with the SE846. My HA-2 seems to add elements of veiling and muddiness to some tracks that are otherwise clear and transparent on the iPod Touch 5g. This points to a higher output impedance, which the 9 Ohm SE846 are very sensitive to. I don't know if anyone here looked into the Linum BaX cables, but they cause the same muddiness issues with the SE846, due to their high 1.5 Ohm output impedance. I've found devices generally need a <1 Ohm output impedance to play well with the SE846.

Again, perhaps I just got a defective unit. We'll see what Oppo says. Most elements of the sound I really, really enjoyed... If I can get a unit with no hiss or muddiness when paired with the SE846, it's a keeper.

I should point out that my HA-2 fared better with higher Ohm IEMs... With the Nuforce NE700-X (16 Ohm), the initial start-up pop remained, but the hiss was so low as to be almost inaudible. With the Audio Technica CKM77 (16 Ohm), the initial pop transformed into a quiet click, and the hiss was nonexistent.

SEND IT BACK TO OPPO. I'VE BEEN USING MINE WITH SE846 AND W60. I DONT HAVE ANY ISSUE ON HISS NOISE. VERY SMOOTH AND GREAT SOUNDING MACHINE. I THINK THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR UNIT. THANKS

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #388 of 4,883

Interesting.  I have gotten noticeable hiss with my 16 ohm JVC HA-FX850's.  Wondering if it could be the unit itself.  There is also a very small amount of hiss with my PM-3s, something I didn't think would happen with this DAC/Amp.  Maybe I just have really sensitive ears.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #389 of 4,883

How about ER•4Ps?
4PT 102 dB @1 kHz SPL at 0.1v

I couldn't find sensitivity measurements for your FitEar MH335, but found these.
http://sonove.angry.jp/FitEarToGo334.html

Not sure if the FitEar and 4PT curves have been normalized. The text says "ER-4S", so I don't know if they've used the P-to-S adapter.

Not sure if impedance is useful for trying to extrapolate comparative sensitivity.

And from http://en.goldenears.net/1389.

I'm looking for a portable DAC/amp to use with my ER•4Ps as well as "harder to drive" HPs that will benefit from amplification that I will buy in the future (considering HE-400i/560, PM-2/3, T1/5p).

In his review, georgelai57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif www.headfonia.com/oppo-ha-2-2007-all-over-again/2/, makes a comparison with the Cypher Labs’s Picollo DAC. Would appreciate any feedback from others who have used both.

I don't think this will drive the 560 that well, but I guess it depends on how loud you like to play your music.

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #390 of 4,883

SEND IT BACK TO OPPO. I'VE BEEN USING MINE WITH SE846 AND W60. I DONT HAVE ANY ISSUE ON HISS NOISE. VERY SMOOTH AND GREAT SOUNDING MACHINE. I THINK THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR UNIT. THANKS

Hiss exists from every single output device. What matters is #1: your earphone, and #2: your ears. If I had a pound for every time someone said their amps/dacs didn't hiss because they couldn't hear it... wrong. If you are not sensitive to hiss, you will not hear it. 

If you are, you will hear it. 

I'm sensitive to hiss and choose devices/earphones that do not hiss. It is one of the reasons I prefer the Ultraone IQ Pro to the IQ. IQ hisses like mad with most devices. The Pro does not. But I could hand the very same earphones to a friend and she may not hear the hiss. That would mean that she isn't sensitive to hiss.

The HA-2 is a great amplifier/DAC but it hisses more than a number of other competitors. It also hisses less than other competitor devices. For instance, the Cypher Labs Algorthym 720 hisses a LOT more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back